Thread: Introduction

Elitest thrill junkie

Introduction

Hey, I've been a pretty prolific poster since about 1998 or so, been living in AZ since 2001. Been riding since about 1996. I go by James.

As of tomorrow, I'm up there in Anchorage. I put out that post a few weeks ago to feel-out some of the area, but I'm up there for good tomorrow.

I sold my DH and my all-mtn bike to help with the move (mobility) and I'll get my rigid surly sent up once I got a solid address. I know I can use a nice FS bike up there in the summer and at the ski-resort, but it's also time for a change, re-evaluation of what wheel size I want continue with, and ease of maint with less "FS" bikes. Like that new 29er fat surly and will probably get that when it becomes available.

Like to ride pretty much everything and keep it changing so I don't get bored with one type of riding, so flat smooth XC stuff, big jumps and drops, big climbs and descents, just all of it. I've done some research on trails, but I know I'll have a lot to learn. I hope to see some of you on the trails soon ('cept for the part where I get sent for a few months to another state for training).

I took some pictures of our summer thunderstorms to prove it rains in AZ during the summer! (at least at my elevation). I hope to see some of you on the trails soon.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Welcome James. I'd be glad to show you around when you get settled in.
    c

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thanks. I hope I can get my surly up here in a month or less. Housing on the other hand...its insane. Still trying...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

is buachail foighneach me
    I'm sure at least one local shop would be willing to let you get the bike shipped to their address, if that's the concern. What part of town are you staying in till you get settled?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    I'm sure at least one local shop would be willing to let you get the bike shipped to their address, if that's the concern. What part of town are you staying in till you get settled?
    Looks like I'll be living in a condo off of Independence, I liked the area driving in, Safeway right nearby, close to Hillside and some of the mountains. Not as close to some of the city-trails it seems, but those places were more limited on condos/rentals. The thing will be to find a decent bike shop nearby, and I'm sure I could arrange to get the bike shipped there. I just have to get settled (should happen next week), right now I'm in downtown, which I'm not particularly fond of, but it will be worth it. I want to ride, but it's not a huge priority for me right now, as I'm going to have a lot of training for this job, and after a few months at the most, I'm supposed to be temporarily sent elsewhere for some training, then I return, so my summer-season may be very short, if it exists.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I live in that same neighborhood. Drop me a line and I'll show you how to access trails by riding from the 'hood. jill at geargals dot com.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Cool, thanks. I should be able to move in at the end of the month and get my bike fairly rapidly after that. I'm dying to go riding, but I just have to be patient and get my gear (in my car, which should be here early next week) and my bike. Looks like some pretty decent access around there to more back-countryish stuff too if I go a bit further. Are there lighted XC trails around there for the winter?

is buachail foighneach me
    The alpine, backcountry access for mtbs in Anchorage is fairly limited. Chugach State Park is not very interested in allowing bikes. The Talkeetna Range, the one just to the north of Palmer, is accessible, but the trails aren't quite as well used/defined. Only the ski and groomed(wide) multiuse trails are lighted in winter. The singletrack will all require a headlight/lamp if riding after dark.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Tons of lit ski trails but they are off limits. The little narrow singletrack is way more fun, often times lit up by city glow, but a light is a good idea. There are many k of tight twisty trails that get ridden in almost instantly after a snowfall. And after november the bears go to sleep. And then there's spring crust biking, crap I already can't wait....
    Latitude 61