No, that's not phonetic

New question here. I'm coming up to Anchorage in a week- what are conditions like?

I will be attending the Alaska Board of Fisheries meeting from Feb 4-12 at the Millennium (by Lake Hood). The meetings will probably be all-day affairs with little chance to play but I would like to bring up my xc and skate skis and cross Lake Hood to the coastal trail and maybe hit Kinkaid. I would also love to meet some of the Anchorage biking mafia again. I was wondering what trail conditions are like (do they groom the coastal trail? It's not lit, is is?) and what the scene up there was currently?

Rio has kindly offered me some wheels, so I may bring some riding stuff, but I just doubt I will have much opportunity to ride. I need to get out every day for my sanity though, so the least I will do is go running...

Cheers!

The obligatory Kodiak pics:

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Fatback

trail report

The trail conditions for skiing are fantastic. Tons of snow, and stable temps, though we just had our first go round with the Chinook winds the last few days (40*). No rain as of yet. The Coastal Trail is regularly groomed and is not lighted, and Kincaid is in better shape than the past several years. All of these trails are in great shape for riding, so I would take Carlos up on his offer. We will be having a Frigid Bits ice crit on Goose lake on Feb 10th at 7pm if you'd like to meet some Anchorage riders. Carlos can give you all the details. Great pics-hope you enjoy your stay.

Greg

No, that's not phonetic
    Great beta, thanks. I'll keep an eye on the Anch weather to see if things change. I'll bring some lights for the unlit trails. I should secure a rental car that would let me drive to Kinkaid or hillside, we'll see...

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    well, this last week it's been 33 to 47 degrees... not sure how the trails are now with the warm temp's... WELCOME back the the good old AK...
    GREAT sb shoots...
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    If you had come up a month ago we could have treated you to some of this.........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

No, that's not phonetic
    Wassup wit da fog??

We had to circle Anchorage for an hour today and still had to slip in under a pretty heavy layer of ground fog. The rest of the state is clear for Dog's sake!

Anyway, I thought Lake Hood might be skate skiable, but it is like the snow that was reported up around Eklutna: 1" of styrofoam over 4" of sugar snow. Maybe I will make it to Kinkaid one evening. I just put on my Ice Bugs and ran around Lake Hood to get out a little...

Caveman

snowshoes!!

you guys need splitboards
    awesome pics as usual Tsceezy, did the snow in Kodiak get hammered as bad withthe warm temps as it did in the rest of southcentral?
    Attached Images Attached Images

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    SWEET v tails... split board too? how do they ride? i heard that they are SICK for deep pow...
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

No, that's not phonetic
    Hammered? You mean like rained-on and then refrozen? Roger that.