mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Iditarod trail Turnagain Pass

A buddy and I bushwacked into Eddies peak Saturday for some skiing. Noticed the new Iditarod trail was firmly tracked. So we skied it out to the 'lower eddies lot'. SUPER FUN!

I'm hoping to ride the trial from Eddies lot to Johnson and back. Has anyone been on the rest of the trail? The last creek to cross was frozen over Saturday. I plan to ride it Friday...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

A little more beta...

Four of us did this trail on skinny skis today, from the Johnson Pass lot to Lower Eddie's. The first half of the trail was mostly untracked until you get close to the large parking lot at the base of Center Ridge. From there, it was packed well by backcountry skiers on super-wide skis. The trail will make a great fat-biking route when it is finished, but there are two significant creek crossing in the south half (those bridges are not built yet). Because of those crossings, I doubt that end of the trail will see much traffic this winter. But from the top of the pass down to Eddie's - that section is ridable right now on a fat bike, and would be a really fun descent!

Photos: crust.outlookalaska.com/Skiing2013
    GPS: endomondo.com/embed/workouts?w=k_zBcpTA6pI&width=950&height=800
    Last edited by x-cer; 12-01-2012 at 11:38 PM.