mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Iditarod Finish at Nome - Fat Biking?

Hi All,

First time poster on this site, so hope I get this in the right forum for all to see…

I'm headed up to Nome March 17th for the finish of the 2016 Iditarod. I will be presenting an award on behalf of my company (Matson of Alaska) at the Awards Banquet on the 20th…

I’m considering bringing my Fat Bike up, are there any other riders living or traveling to Nome March 17th to 21st? Anybody with local winter riding experience up for a ride or two? I’d really like to ride to Safety, but not sure if its possible…?

I plan to bring up some Anchorage craft beer to share (namely King Street IPA and Denali IPA) ☺

Thanks for any insight or guidance anybody can offer me…

AK’N

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AK'N View Post
    Hi All,

First time poster on this site, so hope I get this in the right forum for all to see…

I'm headed up to Nome March 17th for the finish of the 2016 Iditarod. I will be presenting an award on behalf of my company (Matson of Alaska) at the Awards Banquet on the 20th…

I’m considering bringing my Fat Bike up, are there any other riders living or traveling to Nome March 17th to 21st? Anybody with local winter riding experience up for a ride or two? I’d really like to ride to Safety, but not sure if its possible…?

I plan to bring up some Anchorage craft beer to share (namely King Street IPA and Denali IPA) ☺

Thanks for any insight or guidance anybody can offer me…

AK’N
    I'm headed up there for the week of the 14th for work (concerning Iditarod).

I thought about bringing my bike, would be neat, but my bike case doesn't work with fat-wheels and I don't want to damage anything. It has been verrry warm out in the bush, I just got back from Bethel and it's melting like crazy. I wouldn't want to be fat-biking there. Nome may be better, there are quite a few roads out of town. Just have to be mindful of the locals/snowmachiners I'd guess.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Hello AK'N,
    Nomeite here. I went out for a short ride this evening and conditions were surprisingly good, despite the warm temps, 32F this afternoon, mid 20s overnight. Conditions are more like mid-April than early March. I don't expect any more deep cold this Spring, but I would not be surprised if we moved closer to normal temps soon, 0 to 20, perfect riding weather, imo. Getting out to Safety should not be difficult if you can handle a 44 mi. RT, mostly flat ride. Trail conditions are usually good at that time with a lot of race-related traffic. The biggest issue would be wind, which can drift in the trail pretty quickly with ultadry spindrift snow, read zero traction. If we get a real blow be aware that there is no protection from the wind save for private, usually locked cabins. Shoot me a PM just before you head this way and I can fill you in on the latest conditions. There's not much of a riding community out here, just me and a couple of other folks. One of the more competitive ITI guys lives in Nome, and he's out there now somwhere between McGrath and the Yukon. I haven't been doing many miles this winter, but I could probably pull off a ride to Safety at a 5-9 mph pace under good conditions. If that's not too slow for you and our time frames work, I might be up for it. A buddy of mine who has ridden with Oatley, Best, and Hofstetter and didn't embarrass himself may be up for it, too, if we can coax him off his snow machine this winter. Don't know what you're riding, but 4 inch tires usually work well here. Thats what I ride, and I'm no lightweight at 220lbs.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Veloborealis & Jayem,

Thanks to both of you for your advice!

I'm still considering making the trip with my Salsa Blackborow with 4"ers. I'm headed up on the 17th, so have some time to watch the weather, will probably make the call somewhat last minute. I've never boxed a Fat Tire Bike, so that will be my next research project...that and who knows how much Alaska Airlines will charge me (but guessing $75 each way from their website depending upon box size)... Those temps sound perfect, just hope to keep most of the big winds down... And as for speed, I'm on vacation, so taking lots of stops, pictures, and probably a few beverages along the way!!

I'm doing a 20 mile ride next weekend in Talkeetna...

Thanks again for your advice!

AK'N

Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Hello AK'N,
    Nomeite here. I went out for a short ride this evening and conditions were surprisingly good, despite the warm temps, 32F this afternoon, mid 20s overnight. Conditions are more like mid-April than early March. I don't expect any more deep cold this Spring, but I would not be surprised if we moved closer to normal temps soon, 0 to 20, perfect riding weather, imo. Getting out to Safety should not be difficult if you can handle a 44 mi. RT, mostly flat ride. Trail conditions are usually good at that time with a lot of race-related traffic. The biggest issue would be wind, which can drift in the trail pretty quickly with ultadry spindrift snow, read zero traction. If we get a real blow be aware that there is no protection from the wind save for private, usually locked cabins. Shoot me a PM just before you head this way and I can fill you in on the latest conditions. There's not much of a riding community out here, just me and a couple of other folks. One of the more competitive ITI guys lives in Nome, and he's out there now somwhere between McGrath and the Yukon. I haven't been doing many miles this winter, but I could probably pull off a ride to Safety at a 5-9 mph pace under good conditions. If that's not too slow for you and our time frames work, I might be up for it. A buddy of mine who has ridden with Oatley, Best, and Hofstetter and didn't embarrass himself may be up for it, too, if we can coax him off his snow machine this winter. Don't know what you're riding, but 4 inch tires usually work well here. Thats what I ride, and I'm no lightweight at 220lbs.

mtbr member
    Veloborealis & Jayem,

Thanks to both of you for your advice!

I'm still considering making the trip with my Salsa Blackborow with 4"ers. I'm headed up on the 17th, so have some time to watch the weather, will probably make the call somewhat last minute. I've never boxed a Fat Tire Bike, so that will be my next research project...that and who knows how much Alaska Airlines will charge me (but guessing $75 each way from their website depending upon box size)... Those temps sound perfect, just hope to keep most of the big winds down... And as for speed, I'm on vacation, so taking lots of stops, pictures, and probably a few beverages along the way!!

I'm doing a 20 mile ride next weekend in Talkeetna...

Thanks again for your advice!

AK'N
    Yep, pretty sure it's $75 each way. Unless you have an oversize box, you might need a second box for your wheels. If you can get one wheel in your box, you can carry on the other. Aired down a fat wheel will fit in the overhead. If you want someone to ride with, I have the 17th and 18th off work and would not mind going if the wind isn't too bad. It's a good idea to bring a light with a strobe mode and a red blinker to make yourself visible to the snogo traffic. Locals and race officials haul a$$ and a lot of the traffic heading back from Safety is likkered up. Are you wanting to be out at Safety when the front funners come through? If you want to interact with the mushers, you should know that the stops in Safety are usually short, minutes or seconds. Flying out to White Mountain where they do a 12-hour layover would offer the best chance of getting an inside look at the race. Keep me posted. Will assist if I can.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Alaska has never charged me for my bike case out of Anchorage, as long as it's 50lbs or less total. I did get charged going from Phoenix back to AK, but I've taken it to a few places out of Anchorage now.

Aired down, you really think 90mm rims will fit on there? It's going to take up a ton of overhead space I'd imagine, plus there's the sharp studs there. Overhead and carry-on is probably what it'd take for me, as the wheels are just so bulky, would need another oversize box most likely if doing it any other way. Then I'm kind of counting on my Gold status and getting on before everyone else to hog the overhead. I'd still like to try at one point, but I'd have to try when I'm actually traveling on a ticket vs. work.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    My 70mm rim sans tire fit easily, no issues at all. Can't imagine it wouldn't fit a 90 with the air out of the tire. Don't think studs would be an issue either. I wrapped my rim in a garbage bag, and no one knew what it was. Native lady asked if it was a traditional drum. My flight was pretty empty though, so no competition for overhead space. That likely won't be the case for inbound flights around Iditarod finish time.

mtbr member
    Temps dropped to the high single digits this morning, setting up some hard, fast trail. Did 20 miles, incuding about 10 on the Iditarod Trail, and current conditions are just about perfect. With warm, sunny afternoons and cold nights we might luck into rideable crust conditions soon. Point in the direction of your choice and pedal -- my favorite kind of fatbiking.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    native lady asked if it was a traditional drum.
    "yes!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for all the advice!

Yeah, sounds like it will be setting up nicely over the next week. I'm pretty excited about the thought of getting off grid a little in Nome...will be my first time up there...

I will keep in touch between now and the 17th (I'm on the day flight arriving around 11:30 or so).

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I hope you guys take and post alot of pics from your ride(s) up there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Well, the bike is all boxed up and I'm flying north in the morning...with a wheel (or "drum") as carry-on

I'll report from Nome...

Thanks ALL!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, the bike is all boxed up and I'm flying north in the morning...with a wheel (or "drum") as carry-on

I'll report from Nome...

Thanks ALL!
    Weather has been fantastic here in Nome all week. Conditions should be great for riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Went for a ride with veloborealis yesterday (thanks again)! We had a nice warm (for Nome) sunny day with firm pack snow everywhere. Hoping for another ride later today, but have to see some of the Iditarod dogs first!

So, I opted to check the wheel and tire in checked luggage(vs carry-on). Fortunately, I have a duffel bag large enough for the tire...

My bike box measured 105" total and I was charged $75 by Alaska by Anchorage airport check-in agent.

All has worked out well so far. Nome very friendly! And I take my bike right into my hotel room at night…

I’ll try to stop more often today, taking some pics along the way… Its beautiful out here!

If anybody else is up here with a bike, let me know. My last night here is the 21st.

Thanks all…