Bill M

Iditabike 1988 Video

Just received an email from Mark Forman who filmed the 1988 Iditabike. He has posted the video on U-tube and here is the link below. When things get tough for us now we can look back 20 years and get a feel for what it was like for the "pioneers". Enjoy Bill M

http://www.youtube.com/profile_play_...=screeningroom
    Last edited by Bill M; 12-13-2007 at 12:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    wow! what a find.That was really interesting.Nearly 20 years on and really its so similar to today`s race.Now i know where you got that Rohn tent from :-)

We want... a shrubbery!
    I've been trying to get the dang video to load for the past 1/2 hour. Looks like I'll keep on trying!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Very impressive on that equipement. Those 1988 "snow" tires appear narrower than most xc tires of today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Iditabike #2

20 years later, some of us former Iditabikers are still doin' it! I have fond memories of that race in the days of Dan Bull, Roman Dial, Eric B, Les Matz and company. 15 hours of non-stop pushing from Rabbit Lake to Skwenta with the Borealis in the background can never be forgotten. A bit older now, but the passion for winter biking lives on here in Vermont. For all you old-timer Idita freaks up there in my 'ol stomping grounds, Steve Mitchell says hello!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Great video! Love the music, hehe. (O:

This place needs an enema
    Wow! What a treasure that is!

Where have all the panniers gone?!

Neat to see a few familiar faces--Rocky (as a teenager? Oh wait--he was old back then too...), Richard Larson, Les, Dondo, and, unless I'm mistaken, the checker in the tent at the end of the first clip is Kathy S (ok maybe not...)?

Great, great stuff. Can't believe that's the first most of us have seen of it.

Hey Steve M--how 'bout hitting us up with a few pics from back in those days? Would be great to see how much/little things have changed.

And I couldn't help but to notice that standard XC tires these days are *significantly* fatter than what they had available way back when.

Sweet.

MC

P.S. Is that the trademark red-checkered hat of Martin Buser at Skwentna?!
    Last edited by mikesee; 12-12-2007 at 10:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing - great stuff.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Fatback

great video

What a pleasure to watch the older stuff. I met Mark Frise at road Nat's in New York in 1981 when he was riding for Raleigh and I was 15 years old. Thanks Bill. Good to see you checking in on us Steve M.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Bill M

The film maker is Mark Forman

Glad everyone is enjoying the film. It was made by Mark Forman and aired on the discovery channel way back when. Kathi M has gathered a lot of old reports about races on the Iditarod Trail but this is definitely a prize piece for the collection. I think I even saw a young Rich Crane in the last shot at the finish line and I didn't know he ever was young.
    Bill M
    ps. Just realized after I posted this I could go back and edit my first post with the film makers name. Can't believe I didn't do it in the first place. Oh well I have never claimed to be socially acceptable any how.

Caveman
    Old School!!!
    wow Massages and mechanics at Skweetna? What gives? why did that get dropped?

I saw Carl Tobin's AAC slide show last night, he looked a bit chipper back then when he could still walk straight
    Great stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    When were the Idtabike races held? Seems like a lot longer daylight than what would be expected in mid February.

is buachail foighneach me
    really good stuff! thanks for posting this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Smile From the Filmmaker

Thank you all for the complements on my Iditabike 88 Documentary "Bicycles on Snow".
    I would love to do it again twenty years later.
    For those who are interested I developed a camera bike a few years later out of the need to track riders which went on to be used in a number of productions involving bike, runners and actors. http://screeningroom.com/bikes.html
    Mark Forman
    Mark Forman Productions, Corp.
    http://screeningroom.com

Caveman
    Wow Mark, Very impressive camera setups!
    Must be a bit unnerving at times having $20,000+ cameras strapped to the bike..

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

No, that's not phonetic
    Great vid! Very cool.

Gawd, those tires are SKINNY!!!!!!!!!!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Pre-Snowcats

OK Mike....

Tried to find some pics from '88 but weren't no digitals back then so all of my photos were the real deals and didn't feel like scanning tonight! I did dig up a photo (courtesy of Tom Evans...where are you Tom?) of the ''91 race....I think......that left Big Lake Lodge instead of the Knik Bar. If you look at my bike closely, you'll see what was the start of the wide rim phenomenon. 2 rims in the front welded together with the center beads dremel'd off and three rims welded together in the rear, covered by the wheel cover. (I think it was Eric Breitenberger and Simon from Fairbanks who get credit for welding up the first batch of these crazy things) At that time Specialized made a 2.5" tire called the Extreme that actually ran pretty well all in all. Any way, my buddy Chris Yelverton is to be thanked for the use of his bike and his rim welding handiwork. It just seemed to float over anything in those days.

I'm older, greyer and slower but still lovin the winter riding experience with Captain Dondo here in Vermont. We all wear Ibex Wool to stay warm when riding and drink Harpoons afterwards to warm the soul! We have well over 1000 miles of snowmachine trails that cover the state and there's a crazy French Canadian (Dan DesRosiers) that I swear is a reincarnation of Dan Bull, with an accent, that is resurrecting the winter bike racing scene here just south of the border.

We're having an awesome winter thus far. I miss Alaska but Vermont is a close second.

Ciao
    Attached Images Attached Images

Perhaps unretired now

Whoa, Flashback!

I basically can't go on a winter bike ride without instant vivid memories of my two Idiotbike experiences (1988+89). Dumbest, scariest, gnarliest, best thing I've ever done on a bike (or off, if you've ever hiked from Big Su to Rabbit Lake in the dark). I'll dig through my slides and see if I have anything else to offer. I can't wait for the Jay Winter Challenge. Dan the man is so much like Dan the other man that I'm wondering if ReloAlaska became WitnessReloCanada. A little surgery. An accent. Who knows? And Steve is right on about Ibex, despite his company man status. I'm head to toe in the stuff right now and have never felt more comfortable outdoors in the three colder seasons than when I started investing in this stuff. Wool is what all the synthetics are trying to copy. Why not go with the real deal? And I have sensitive skin, to boot. No itchies. Tis crazy I tell you.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Beware of Doggerel
    Just got time to watch it. Wow, that was neat. Those sure look like skinny tires though.

I'll second Eric's comment. Seems all us newcomers hear is how tough it is out there and whatnot, but I sure haven't heard much about MASSAGES!!! What??? Really??? Never heard about that before. Nice.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Bill M

Hot Springs and Message

Hey Adam you mean you don't always stop at the hot springs on top of Rainy Pass for a soak and massage. It was payed for can't help it if you didn't stop.

Fatback
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill M
    Hey Adam you mean you don't always stop at the hot springs on top of Rainy Pass for a soak and massage. It was payed for can't help it if you didn't stop.
    I heard Evingson was doing "full release..."
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Retro on Steroids
    Good to see a post from some of my old Iditabike buddies, Mark Forman, Captain Dondo, Steve Mitchell...

I was at the first Iditabike in 1987, as well as the next two. You can see my stories and photos here.
    Last edited by Repack Rider; 12-24-2007 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Add photo

Retro on Steroids
    Tom Evans took this photo of me after the Iditabike on one of the double-wheeled snow bikes at Big Lake, probably in 1990.

Retro on Steroids
    Captain Dondo loaned me the orange and yellow cold weather gear in the photo above. I spent most of a night outside in minus 20 degrees, no problem.

In 1988 Dan Bull and I spent the night camped on the frozen Squentna River with Joe Redington's dogteam, showing the arriving riders where to go to get some rest. We slept on the ice on a space blanket and it was colder than sh!t.

Here's Captain Dondo finishing the Iditabike in 1988.

Retro on Steroids
    Other views of the Iditabike

German dude

Wow

Just stumbled upon this older thread. I was at Iditabike 1990 and won the Sportsmanship Award that year.

Me at the start

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Good to see this thread. I did the Iditasport in 1993 with two other guys from the Netherlands. Like many other people who have done this race say, it is one of my best memories of riding ever. Seeing this video of 1988 and pictures of other years make it feel like yesterday. I still remember the hike from rabbit lake to Skwenta too. I remember that the hours were going fast and seeing this northern lights. One of my best & worst nightwalks.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Awesome post!

Members who have read this thread: 1