No, that's not phonetic

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! A huge area of slickrock discovered on Kodiak!

Who woulda guessed it? Right now, the entire island (above about 500' elevation) is currently rock hard and super grippy. Even side-hilling on pretty steep slopes is no problemo! Totally nuts...

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Good job! 2 wheeled snow fun

wow! that is a mighty fine use of bullet proof snow. would be well worth taking some serious advantage of while the conditions last. get it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Crust

Forget about biking thats crust skiing paradise!!! I'll have to check if I have a freq flyer mileage left

Enjoy!!
    Mike

Caveman
    Lets see some air!

Awesome!

Cycling, FTW!!
    The Colorado snow pack gets like that in April if we are lucky enough to get cold temps at night. The only problem with riding the frozen crust is when the sun rises and the snow softens up.
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

MTB B'dos
    Man I wish you guys would stop posting up pics of those huge wheel MTB's, it's making me want one more and more every time I see it. BTW nice pics, looks like a really nice place to ride and zone out. What was the temp on that ride, do you know?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

No, that's not phonetic
    Temps were in the low to mid-20s F. A little breeze was blowing. Not too shabby.

It's not gonna last (Kodiak weather usually is never the same for more than 12 hours at a whack ) so I run up there every day to take advantage of it. I need to drag Barny up too and get some real pictures...

Got A Lust for Life...
    Man! That is super nice!
    I am immune to your disdain.

Lay off the Levers
    Wow, nice views... that snow must, be hard I don't even see tire tracks.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

No, that's not phonetic
    Today I dragged Barny up there for the first time. It was breezy and pretty damn cold on the ridge, but it was a lot of fun and she was amazed at all the places you could cruise. Here are some shots from our lap up on top:

Alaska Turner Mafia

Trail?

You don't need no stinkin' trail! What freaky conditions. It looks like you can just freestyle anywhere you want. That's got to be opening up some exploration possibilities. What fun.

The fatty Spot is lookin' good. How's that Rohloff holding up?

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

MTB B'dos
    Is that a custom rear triangle on that Turner or do the stock rears fit those humongous tyres? That bike must be sweet in the mud with all that clearance And again more great shots of what looks so Funnnnnnnn

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Today I dragged Barny up there for the first time. It was breezy and pretty damn cold on the ridge, but it was a lot of fun and she was amazed at all the places you could cruise. Here are some shots from our lap up on top:
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    The fatty Spot is lookin' good. How's that Rohloff holding up?
    It's holding up great (not many miles so far, obviously), but the shifting is a bit annoying. The total lockout between gears 7 and 8 seems to catch Barny off guard pretty often. In the lower gears, there is an obvious whirring of cogs meshing. You feel like you are powering the entire Munich Rathaus Glockenspiel. Think an alternative option would be to do what I did originally- single ring up front and 6 cogs of a cassette in back, double-wide der hanger. You would have way less gears to choose from, but I doubt you would miss the high-end gears. The lower ones could be an issue, but I rarely use anything below my Pug's 30x34.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Is that a custom rear triangle on that Turner or do the stock rears fit those humongous tyres?
    Here is the thread discussing the origin of our Turner snowbikes. It is a "stock" Turner TNT 6-Pack rear end. I put stock in quotes because it is actually a prototype rear triangle DT sent to me to evaluate. It may be a tiny bit different from production models, but not in a substantive way I think. I do know the stays are a touch longer than the older Horst 6-Pack rear ends, and those do NOT fit the Large Marge/Nokian 3.0s (barely).

No, that's not phonetic
    Today we went riding up Salonie Creek (without a paddle). The creekbed is one of the only wide, braided ones I know of on Kodiak. The flow is ephemeral and the often-dry riverbed is a pretty cool place to ride or ski. It goes for miles from the coast into the mountains where it narrows into a gorge and you hit flowing water again:

About mid-way up the riverbed:

Barny was liking the full-bounce of her ride on the rather hard sun-cups:

There was a considerable headwind the last mile or two to the turnaround point. On the way out it was slightly downhill and we had a nice breeze behind us. We were smokin' back to the car.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 02-25-2007 at 06:42 PM.