Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hub talk for Pugsley

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  qayaq_alaska 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm thinking about hubs for a Pugsley buildup. If you had $350-400 for hubs (I'm not sure I do, but its do-able). Which hubs would you recommend?

Is it common practice to have your good hub on the front/rear (if one hub is better than the other)

I was intially thinking getting a Shimano XT rear disc hub, and then buying a nice King single speed hub for the front (thinking that I can upgrade/buy new if/when the Shimano conks out). Or, I was thinking about getting a White Industries front and rear. But there are just so many brands, its a bit overwhelming.

This is kind of for my swanky wheelset, in another thread I've been asking q's for getting a less expensive wheelset, but its not really going anywhere.

Thanks for the help

#2 ·
I suppose you have to ask your self what are the chances that you are actually going to (or need to ) swap the front wheel for the rear wheel. If you've never had freewheel problems before and arent going to be riding where it gets really cold or on multi-day trips then you dont have to think about the front hub as much. People have been riding wildfire fatbikes for years that dont have the rear hub on the front hub thing.

I have a XT rear disc for the rear and a surly disc singlespeed rear on the front of mine, havent gotten around to putting a cog on it yet.

King hubs sound a bit too nice for a pugsley... :) Its going to be a heavy bike no matter how you slice it. Bontranger makes a disc singlespeed rear hub that has basically a shortened freewheel shell.

#3 ·
Thanks Bearbait - you're probably right, the King hub is probably a bit too nice

About switching the wheels, I'm uncertain as well. I have ridden single lately and I do like it, though given the choice I still prefer gears. As far as really-cold, how cold is that? I think -20 is the coldest I'll actually ride in (though the bike might be in colder temps than that, I won't be riding).

I haven't had freewheel problems before, and I'm not skilled in servicing them (though I think I'm handy enough to pick it up). This makes me want to get a fairly inexpensive rear (XT), so I can just buy new if it needs to be replaced. (Following the assumption that the rear is more likely to show problems than the front).

I wasn't thinking the King for weight reasons, have to admit was for personal swank enjoyment, durability and serviceability.

#4 ·
I have a Paul WORD hub (threaded SS) in black, 32 hole, that I got to build up a Pugs front wheel that I am now not using that I would sell to you. They are relatively light bolt-ons.

I run Maverick SC32 forks on my snow bikes up front, so all my front wheels use Mav's 24mm axle systems.

#5 ·
4 Surly New Hubs...

buildup some Large Marge / Endos for snow, ice and sand AND a set of 29ers for everything else...lots of options for fixed / free...all under budget...with the $ you save you can buy the White freewheels and some King cogs for the fixed side of the bike...there, covered all your manufacturer aspirations...oh yeah, don't forget to upgrade with some Phil spec'd bearings...Merry X-mas!

Santa

#7 ·
What do you really need?

I thought you said hubs, "$350-400 for hubs"...last time I looked the Surly Hubs were going for ~$70US...x4 = $280.

Hubs and wheelsets are two different $ things esp when you're talking about wheels for 'Fatbikes'.

IMHO:

While not manufactured in the US, the Surly New Hubs are one of the best deals for a standard SS or DMS hub out there. Simple, standard parts, easy to service...and easy to modify ;)

You get what you pay for...and if you can afford it... buy American manufactured!

The Doug White freewheels are exceptional...artistic manufacturing, beautiful bearings and easy to service...easily one of the finest bike parts I own.

If you are looking for a highend shimano bodied, SS or DMS hub take a close look at the Phil Woods. Lifetime investment.

What ever you get...get a hub that is easy to service...better yet, one that is grease-able in situ.

Single Speed, Derailleur Geared, Derailleur-less Multispeed, Internal Geared...need more info?!

-------

Hey...like I tell my kids...its all in the letter - a good letter to Santa can get you a long way...so start writing Guru...and don't forget the milk and cookies!

Good luck,

ML

________

"I'm thinking about hubs for a Pugsley buildup. If you had $350-400 for hubs (I'm not sure I do, but its do-able). Which hubs would you recommend?"

guruguhan said:
Santa, dont think I'll be getting those two wheelsets for $400 where I am.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.