Thread: Hope to Homer

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Hope to Homer

Bernie and I just returned from our Hope to Homer fatbike/packraft trip. A great time and awesome route. We rode Resurrection Trail to Cooper Landing and then joined the Hidden Creek trail to Skilak Lake. For the lake we joined our packrafts together into a tandem with a thin hemlock sapling for a keel. This technique served us well and allowed for a better hull speed than two single boats. Once we joined the river we separated and had a great paddle to the mouth of the Kenai and then joined the open coast for a day and a half gail force tailwind push home.
    Lots of great riding, paddling, wildlife and never too much of any one thing. Three very distinct chapters came together to make for one good trip. I would recommend it to almost anyone.

Bjørn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hope to Homer-img_6905.jpg  

Hope to Homer-img_6936.jpg  

Hope to Homer-img_6736.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

We want more

Bjorn,

We can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Pat
    Kathy

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Awesome trip guys! I'm already trying to gather some interest in a copycat trip. Imitation is the highest form of flattery!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Hope to Homer

Well there is one aspect of our route that (as far as I know) has been left out, and that is to hit the river as soon as you cross the Sterling. I have run the canyon many times in the past but chose to leave it out on our trip because I/we were unwilling to carry PFDs let alone drysuits. But I think that this would be a much cleaner and more aesthetic line.
    Bjørn

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was gathering a few questions for you, that was one of them, more to come if you feel inclined to answer. Thanks for sharing!

MikeC

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Questions

I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.
    Bjørn

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The Beast

Bjorn,

Maybe this trip could be the grand poopa trip for our Beach Bike Festival next summer. I've been thinking we can have a 4-day trip, a 3-day, 2day, and an out back from Homer, all ending on Saturday, the big festival day, at Bishop's Beach. Think we can pull that off? Wanna lead the new Hope-Homer route?

Am I just dreaming?

Pat

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Crappy map

Here is a link to a real basic map of our route. Not much, but it is the basic idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Fatbike fest

Pat,
    I think a trip like that is a do it your self kind of operation. There are too many variables regarding skill level and competence that are best left to small groups that know these things about themselves.
    Bjørn

No, that's not phonetic
    Looks like a fun way to see the Kenai.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kenai

The cool thing about these trips, the beach ride and Bjorn's Hope-Homer version, is that it's all right here on the Kenai Pen. It's close, easy to get to, easy logistics, a cheap wilderness trip, and you can see it from the biggest population spot in AK-Anchorage. You don't need a friend with a helicoptor, although that's a good friend to have, no need to fly in, you can drive to Alaska's playground. That's why it's so popular - it's all within reach!

And we hope to see lots of riders next summer for our FatBike Beach festival, put on by the Homer Cycling Club. It'll be a blast!

Bjorn, I agree it's a bit much to lead a trip like you just did. Too many factors involved that could lead to someone not having a good time, but it's fun to think about.

What do you folks think of having longer beach rides for the festival? Maybe a 4-day ride starting in Kenai or Kasilof, a 3-day starting in Clam Gulch, a 2-day starting in Ninilchik, and a 1-day ride starting in Homer doing an out/back to the Anchor River, all ending on Saturday of the festival? No rafts needed! Maybe it's a bit too much for the first Festival, but it's fun to think about.

Feel free to give some input on what you want to see in a Fatbike beach Festival.

Pat

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pat, I think at least one multiday ride would be good. You don't want too many your first year to make logistics easier. I think it would be cool to have a ride on the other side that needed a water taxi (that won't make for easy logistics but it could be fun for out of towners). Are there any rides on the south side of the Bay that would work with fatbikes? Some packrafts for people to try out somewhere might be good too. Anyplace for a Fatbike chainless downhill? Scavanger hunt through downtown Homer, with Kathy's costumes on the riders....... Thanks Again, Steve

P.S. Just to stay on the original topic I'm scheming how to do the whole Hope to Homer thing next year.....It was an inspiration seeing Bjorn and Bernie on the beach Saturday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Homer to Seldovia

Two summers ago Dylan and I did a Homer to Seldovia Fatbike/packraft trip and it was awesome. Another trip that I would recommend to anyone that has the gear and requisite skill. Great great great!!!
    Bjørn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hope to Homer-img_0032.jpg  

Hope to Homer-img_0046.jpg  

Hope to Homer-img_0089.jpg  

Hope to Homer-img_0126.jpg  

Last edited by bjornolson; 09-07-2011 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Questions

Bjorn

I'm trying to schedule/gear up to tackle this trip. A few questions

-I don't plan to float through the rapids, what is the portage around Naptown like? Bushwack? or is there a trail? I've done a lot of fishing above and below but never been through.

-I'm guessing Kenai float time from mouth of Skilak to mouth of Kenai is anywhere from 6-12 hours? Plus portage time? Can you shed

I have access to a place in the Kenai Keys, so i'm considering stashing a drysuit/PFD there and carrying it the rest of the way. What do you think?

Thanks!

MIKEC

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Hope to Homer

HI Mike,
    I think your idea to stash PFD, and drysuit is great. Might get DQ'd from Wilderness Classic, but barring that it makes the most sense.
    As far as Naptown Rapids; one easy way to circumvent them is to take out and ride around through Sterling. The river comes right by the road about two miles west of the the Naptown takeout. I don't believe there is a trail that would get you all the way past the rapids. There is a short trail however that lets you look at the rapids from a further down perspective. It's a great overlook if you do plan to run them.
    The other thing I would recommend is; paying attention to the tide as you are nearing the mouth of the Kenai. The incoming tide is strong enough to force you upriver beyond the Kenai bridge. If you catch it at slack or wile it is ebbing you will be able to paddle all the way to the coast. The other option is to take out at the bridge and ride to the southern access, where people dip net. From there it is clean sailing.
    Good luck, and feel free to write again if you have more questions.

Bjørn
    Mjölnir of Bjørn dot com is my active website.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This trip looks like a blast, have ridden most of it, but not all at once. I would have to leave my driftboat in Cooper for the float part, I am not getting in one of those pool toys! I dont want to rain on anyones parade, but I believe that the hidden creek trail is off limits to bikes. All trails in the KNWR are.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    On the topic of access; Kachemak Bay State Park has expressed interest to the Homer Cycling Club about opening up some trails to cyclists. All trails at present are off limits to bikes. The chief ranger came to our last meeting and asked us if we would write our state legislators a post card expressing our interest in this. If you have a minute and you would like to see the inclusion of bikes in KB Park please take a moment to let you voice be heard.
    Thanks
    Bjørn
    Mjölnir of Bjørn dot com is my active website.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Fat bike beach festival??? When??