mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Hillside STA conditions

With all the news of aggressive moose and bears feeding on moose kills in and around the Kincaid STA trails, it's a good time to go ride the Hillside STA trails. Was there yesterday and the trails are in great condition, the trail work crews last week did an outstanding job. Most of the trails are dry and ready to ride, only a few soggy spots to get off and walk around on the Northern section of Queen Bee loop. There was also a moose laying down in the middle of the trail there so maybe best to avoid for now. Did not see any other wildlife or notice any signs of their presence. Anyone else see anything different?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Exactly the same this morning, 'cept I never saw a moose. Another said they did, but I rode all the trails and saw nothing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No moose last night. We did come within 25-30 feet from a black bear on Janice's Jive. He sauntered off trail, only for us to catch up to him again around the next corner. He didn't seem to mind us too much.
    Thursday afternoon, a hiker reported a black bear between conversation corner and coaches' cut-off on the ski trails.
    Please ride with care. Lots of folks appear to be using the hillside trails in lieu of the Kincaid Moose Sanctuary.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I rode Sunday through most of the loops. Awesome conditions and there is very little traffic!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Now there's a moose kill down off Queen bee according to the STA facebook page. Its on a connector trail and not in a place where they can remove the carcass. Put the bells on.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Didn't see it on the way up, but on the way back down I saw the trees blocking the connector and the signs up that indicated the moose carcass. A hiker told me it was "on the QB trail", which was odd since I had already came that way.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Didn't see it on the way up, but on the way back down I saw the trees blocking the connector and the signs up that indicated the moose carcass. A hiker told me it was "on the QB trail", which was odd since I had already came that way.
    Anchorage Parks and Rec initially reported that it was on Queen Bee and that Queen Bee was closed. They corrected that to say it was just the "social trail" connecter.