mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Hillside or Kincaid STA...

For the first snow ride of the season??

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Take your pick! They both need traffic to pack down the fresh snow. Much more snow on the hillside.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I managed the abbot trail and the queen bee loop, long ways to go. Coming down queen bee was fun with the deep fresh snow though.Hillside or Kincaid STA...-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hillside or Kincaid STA...-image.jpg  

Hillside or Kincaid STA...-image.jpg  

Last edited by Jayem; 11-11-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

kincaid was OK

Rode kincaid 'round 1 pm and there hadn't been much bike action on the STA trails at all, looked like somebody rode it last night or so. Definitely soft and tough going but shouldn't take long to pack up. Best thing to do is go ride it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ended up at Kinciad--sand box, and parts of Boling Alley. Not many tracks out there and a BUNCH of snow... Beautiful, but yeah, pretty tough going... :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I did Queen Bee, Brown Bear, Speedway on my way to work. All rideable but slow going. More traffic will help! The ground under this snow is SLICK! Went down a couple times when trying to dab a foot! Its always fun though!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    So, I'm confused. Is it going to be ok to ride the Kincaid trails in the winter? The impression I got from the signage out there was that it wasn't.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AkEv View Post
    So, I'm confused. Is it going to be ok to ride the Kincaid trails in the winter? The impression I got from the signage out there was that it wasn't.
    It depends on which trails you are trying to ride. The "old" STA trails (those on the south side of Raspberry, are open as normal. Please stick to the STA trails and don't ride the ski-only trails. The new STA trails on the north side of Raspberry are currently closed and it sounds like it will remain that way until the Municipality clears things to open them, so they are off limits for any use until that time. The ski trails are off limits for biking in the winter except for the couple multi-use trails such as the pathway paralleling Raspberry and the Coastal Trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Sure, but at the intersections of the ski trails and the STA trails, it's ok to cross over the ski trail? Again, I don't remember exactly what the signs say, but the way my wife and I read them, it made it sound like you weren't even supposed to go across.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Sure, but at the intersections of the ski trails and the STA trails, it's ok to cross over the ski trail? Again, I don't remember exactly what the signs say, but the way my wife and I read them, it made it sound like you weren't even supposed to go across.
    Yes, you are allowed to cross. Wouldn't make much sense to not be able to. I don't know what the signs say, but I do know it is perfectly fine to cross the ski trails. They just want to make sure you go directly across and not turn and ride down the ski trails.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It would do more damage to the groomed ski trail surface if you were to get off and walk your bike across than if you ride over.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Can you imagine if someone walked over one of our trails in the summer time? IDK what I'd do...probably lose it and go bat-***-crazy,funding bridges to nowhere, speeches filled with jumbled confusing words mashed together and send some more money out to the villages...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Can you imagine if someone walked over one of our trails in the summer time? IDK what I'd do...probably lose it and go bat-***-crazy,funding bridges to nowhere, speeches filled with jumbled confusing words mashed together and send some more money out to the villages...
    I guess I miss the connection to the discussion....??? FYI, bikers DO complain about walkers (and other bikers as well) walking/running the trails when they are soft and damaging them in the spring.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I guess I miss the connection to the discussion....??? FYI, bikers DO complain about walkers (and other bikers as well) walking/running the trails when they are soft and damaging them in the spring.
    I said "walked on", I didn't say "walked on when soft"/"walked into a moose"/"moonwalked", etc...heck, if we are out there riding when it's soft or when we aren't supposed to, we sure can't expect hikers to not do the same on the same trails. People, bikers, skiers, hikers, shouldn't be going bat-****-crazy because someone crosses their trails, or even has to use them in an emergency or mistake situation, and when they do, people can be cordial and polite about it. If not, they don't deserve to get treated nice. Honestly I didn't see much damage that was only the work of hikers from Palmer to the Peninsula, but I still have to get out further obviously.