Alaska Turner Mafia

Gull Rock is in great shape

Rode Gull Rock with LoafyD today. And didn't even see any bears!

We couldn't have picked a better day, it was downright hot! The trail has a couple of mud holes, but they are perennially there. It was LoafyD's first time, and he was really excited about the prospect of riding some technical challenges on his new Spot. He did great!

I rode this last year for my first taste of dirt, on May 22nd. It was easily drier with less snow this year, and probably two weeks ahead rather than just one. There was one short ice bridge to cross, whereas last year there were a couple, and one was 40 ft long across a creek ravine.

LoafyD had the same sentiments as me, that it's too bad it's so far from town rather just half an hour away, or too bad it's not twice as long to make the drive more worthwhile. Regardless, if you are looking for some technical riding, it's there to be had. There's been a ton of chainsaw work performed to clear the blowdowns too.

Here's a few pics from the beginning of the ride.

Rando
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Alaska Turner Mafia
    And a couple more, with the last remaining ice, an example of the roots on the trail, and one shot for mom.

Rando

Mr.Secret
    I LOVE THE SMELL OF DIRT
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    What's up Loafy, you too good to ride with us Valley Trash?
    Nice photos Rando, we've got to get a ride in before I move. I was hoping to ride Resurection (end to end) at least once while I'm still around, what do you think?
    Last edited by bones get broke; 05-19-2007 at 02:46 PM.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

beer is good
    Hey Rando, great pix! Gull Rock=Great early season dirt.
    Didja check out the Res. Pass TH while you were in the area?
    D appears to like the Spot
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    we've got to get a ride in before I move. I was hoping to ride Resurection (end to end) at least once while I'm still around, what do you think?
    I'm all over riding Res end to end. As a matter of fact LoafyD and I mentioned it and he's up for it too. We've also been talking about hitting Johnson Pass soon, before the cow parsnip overgrows and becomes treacherous. Since he's never really ridden much on the Kenai, he's up for Russian River as well. It's going to be a busy summer for me with a move planned and never-ending projects that come with a new home, but I'm not going to forget to play once in a while. Let us know what dates might work for ya. Are you still up for Denali Park?

Quote Originally Posted by Nels
    Didja check out the Res. Pass TH while you were in the area?
    I mentioned to D that if we made it in and out fast enough on Gull Rock, we could check out Res or try riding up to the Swetman and Hershey mines until we hit snow. Dave and I did just this a few years back and watched a black bear sidehill near us for about half an hour, plus the ptarmigan were out clucking like crazy with sex on the brain. We just didn't have enough time. We wanted to be back in town around 5:30 but made it almost an hour later than that as it was, we just didn't get out of town early enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nels
    D appears to like the Spot
    Yeah, he's digging the Spot. For this ride I set him up with some larger volume tires for rim protection banging into the roots. Plus, he was running a full size big ring, and that worried me just a bit, so we swapped it out for a bash guard last minute.

He wanted to absorb some varying riding impressions since his bike is so new to him, tinkering with different settings and pressures, and especially to try and distinguish the different feels that air and coil suspension components may give. He started out with his DHX-A, but brought along a Romic in his Camelback to swap out for the return. He planned to ride the air shock all the way in to have a true feel for it, and then swap to coil for the return to compare. We switched bikes for a short run on the way in so he could get a little bit of a feel for the difference between his air/air equipped suspension vs my coil/coil. Immediately he mentioned that it felt like my bike rode completely level while going over bumps, being way more supple and plusher. For this ride he really liked the feel, saying it was an obvious and easily recognizable difference.

The coil feel made such an impression that he couldn't wait to swap out his shock, saying the change was really going to bring the suspension to life like he wanted. We had a quick snack at the rock, and the Romic went on pronto for the ride back. Once underway again, he couldn't stop raving about how he liked it. I'm sure he'll still use the DHX-A for more sporty rides or on trails that are fairly groomed, but it sounds like his mainstay may become a coil shock.

Yeah, he's super happy with the bike. My impression is he's way satisfied with his choice, and I'm jealous as he!! of the color, that anodized blue is a beaut. I can see this frame giving him years of reliable rides. Here's another shot of that sweet ride.

Rando
    Last edited by EndoRando; 05-19-2007 at 11:13 PM.