rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Goober Smacked Results and Survivor List

First of all, I need to thank Maura for volunteering and operating the turn around and photo chores ! Also a hearty thank you to all of those wonderful, bike passionate, sick wackos from the UAA bike club and all the other riders who supported this event by riding it !

Well, it was cold night, around 8 degrees, when 19 riders arrived to see if they could endure the first Frigid Bits production of Goober Smacked ! This event was the first of its kind for most of the riders and perhaps their last; however, for some it will be the beginning for many other winter biking adventures ! The trail route was 17.2 miles long if the riders choose to ride the Abbott/ Tour of Anchorage route. Those who selected to ride the Rover's to the Tour Trail, must of thought the ride would never end ! They fought, and struggled, and they fought and struggled some more, of what must felt like endless miles of muscle and nerve numbing thigh deep over flow ! Several, who encountered this challenge promptly returned to the start with cold wet feet and departed for home. The others courageously pushed and most often carried their bikes to the safety of the dry side of Rover's over flow.
    These riders were very tenacious about their ride and the rest 7 by my count, actually made it back to the finish area to drink champaign ! Yeehhhaa

So, then there were the riders who took the longer, faster, route; those who rode this route did not have to wade and endure the hardships of the over flow, some of these folks suffered from poor navigational choices ( sort of got lost ) but some how found their way to the turn around and back. Photos will be up when I figure out how to post them !
    Here are the results ...
    Jamie S. 1:14, Phil "will bike for food" Hunter 1:28, Tim Kelly 1:30, Leo " brown bear" Nardo 1:40, Andrew 1;50, Spencer 1:52, Anthony 1:53, Carp 1:55, Josh 1:57, Brian 2:04, Dane 2:05, Manny 2:05

Next Event : The almost famous 2k7 Frigid Bits at Goose Lake 11/18 at 8 PM
    Last edited by rio; 11-12-2006 at 08:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

bring on the photos

Good Race everyone
    I feel kind of bad for taking everyone through the puddle with me, when your wearing your extra-tuffs you just figure everyone else is extra tuff too, most of the guys that finished after going through rovers run were sporting the tuffness too, there was a uaa bike club memo about that.

But ya everything went well for me and the guys i rode with until the turn around, we lubed up with some fosters oil cans and then proceeded to pioneer a new route back upto hilltop, where the champagne, irish car bombs and whatever Kurtis was blasting out of the minivan.

See everyone on the 18th

-Carpathian

Grillin' & Chillin'
    Thanks Carlos, for making Saturday evening fun. I learned quite a bit, that being my first winter night time trail race. Even though my 40 minute ride to work everyday keeps up my winter conditioning, it doesn't quite prep me for an hour and 1/2 ride in the woods. I thought that my hands would be most at jeopardy, but they stayed toasty. It was my toes that got dang cold, probably close to being frost bitten. I'll use some toe warmer heat pads next time. It was quite interesting negotiating the trails without being able to see the normal landmarks of recognition that you see during the day. I'm looking forward to next weekend at Goose Lake.

GIT-R-DONE!

That was AWESOME!

That was my first race and it was a lot of fun. I thought that I was done for right after the overflow, my feet where cold and wet I was just miserable. Some how, I managed and got to the turn around and back. On my way back I opted to bypass rovers and went the Tour / Abott route. That was just the icing on the cake for me. I saw some lights and I thought yippy I made it. So I worked my way over to the lights and realized that I was at the back end of service high. Thanks to Brian I found the parking lot cramps and all.

I will see you guys next weekend. I am hooked. As to the UAA bike Club can some one send me some info on it?
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

GIT-R-DONE!

2006 Goober Smacked Pictures

2006 Goober Smacked Pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

GIT-R-DONE!
    Last edited by aka bubba; 11-13-2006 at 08:34 AM.

GIT-R-DONE!

GIT-R-DONE!
    Thank you Maura for taking the pictures
    Last edited by aka bubba; 11-13-2006 at 08:39 AM.