AKTed
    Sep 2004

Glen Highway Bike Path

Has anyone been riding the Glen Bike Path? I thought I saw a barricade and SWPP sign (indicating some sort of construction) on the path near the north side of the Ship Creek bridge. I was driving in morning traffic mind you, so who knows what was actually there, if anything.

I hope to be riding it regularly soon though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AKTed View Post
    Has anyone been riding the Glen Bike Path? I thought I saw a barricade and SWPP sign (indicating some sort of construction) on the path near the north side of the Ship Creek bridge. I was driving in morning traffic mind you, so who knows what was actually there, if anything.

I hope to be riding it regularly soon though.
    The entire bike path from Bartlett out to North Birchwood is getting rebuilt this summer. The first thing to be worked on will be the bridge. It is being replaced. It is going to be closed later this month and may be closed through April.

Most of the work will be done at night, but you will find unpaved sections as they move along through the spring/summer, so don't expect a fully paved trail if you are heading through there.

AKTed
    Sep 2004
    Thanks anchskier. I should have looked a little harder before posting, as the DOT Navigator site confirms your info:

GLENN HIGHWAY PATH REHABILITATION, MULDOON ROAD to NORTH BIRCHWOOD: ROAD CONSTRUCTION through September 15.
    FUTURE CLOSURE: Beginning Friday, March 15 the southbound JBER on-ramp and the pathway at Ship Creek will be CLOSED with no vehicle or pedestrian detour or access available through Tuesday, April 30.
    I fully support rebuilding of the trail but it is a bummer for those commuting between Eagle River and Anchorage that it will be completely closed for a month and a half. But it does need the work.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    As an alternate route for Eagle River to Anchorage bike commuters, try getting a JBER recreational access pass and going through the base.
    Sign in online or call-in for access to either training areas 418 or 419 which are at the eastern end of Davis Hiway, just opposite the bike path. Riding from Eagle RIver, the JBER access point I have used without going all the way back to main gate is to take the Glen Hwy bike trail about 1/2 mile further toward Anchorage past the the DOT commercial truck weigh station, the JBER boundary fence there is just a low waist-level pipe fence (no high hurricane fence or barb wire) and there are a couple of intentionaly built access point opening gaps in the pipe fence that you can walk a bike through and immedialy get over to the inside perimeter road on base. From there, just get on David hiway to cut through JBER and exit at either Muldoon or Boniface gate. Bike riding on JBER is really nice in comparison to the noise, dirty glen hiway bike path. To get back into the base for return trip, you will likely need to stop gate and flash your Rec Access Pass paperwork, explain that you want to access areas 418 or 419 and then get back out through the pipe fence to leave the base. Be sure to sign-out your pass (online) at end of day.
    I had some great rides on JBER last summer, never got hassled in the least bit by the base security.
    JBER biking?

I think it might also be possible to bypass the bike trail ship creek bridge by excersizing JBER rec access from actic valley road / moose run golf course, going through training areas 424 &425 (tank trails) and get out onto muldoon. I am just not as familiar with the JBER roads/trails in this area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AKTed View Post
    Thanks anchskier. I should have looked a little harder before posting, as the DOT Navigator site confirms your info:

I fully support rebuilding of the trail but it is a bummer for those commuting between Eagle River and Anchorage that it will be completely closed for a month and a half. But it does need the work.
    Yep, gotta be done sometime. They are intentionally doing it now to get it done before the volume of trail users increases greatly for the summer. The rest of the work can be done without fully closing the trail, this can't so they want to minimize the number of people impacted.