mtbr member

FS or HT for Kodiak trails?

Well, I have a little story tell y'all. One of my new friends (simpterfex) gave me a line on a trail system that's all over Pillar Mountain. Yesterday I went by myself and found an awesome trail that I now know as "Back 40". Absolute adrenalin pump! Got about a mile before turning around, knowing I had to hike all the way back to the car. The hike back KICKED MY ASS!

Today, I couldn't resist going back, and had planned on just riding around the summit and scouting possible trails. On the way up I passed another rider making his way up the road, and he later met me at my car as I was pulling the bike off. The rider, Felix (he's on here, but I don't know his moniker), asked if I wanted to ride some single track, and I was like "HELL YEAH!" Finally, someone who could show me around. He took me to a trail called "Ex-Boyfriend." HOLY ****! I can't even describe the decent on this thing. Pucker level was about a 9. I walked down the first drop and rode what I could. Mind you, he was riding a nice DH FS bike with 7" of travel. My pucker was so high, all of my riding techniques were lost. I forgot how to ride a steep trail, and was just focused on how scary it was. I'm used to rolling rocky single track in AZ, and this is well above my pay-grade.

I was on the brakes most of the way, quickly realizing my bike was way out of shape for this excersize. We came to some steep switch-backs, and I just didn't have the equipment/agility/knowledge/BALLS to navigate it. As I came around one tight turn I crested my center of balance, and there was no recovering it. I went about 30 feet into the brush before I rolled down the hill with my bike. Luckily, it's pretty lush foliage here and it was a soft landing. I ended up with only a good sized cherry on my inner thigh from my seat and cuts on my shins from the pedals. My first crash.

Once we got past the heavy decline it was nice single track, but I now felt bored and unchallenged, although the roots were still presenting a challenge to my gearing/HT. So I think my plans for a HT 29er are out the door. My HT is like driving a 1 ton truck fast over a bunch of logs. And I'm not sure the 29er would be able to handle the technical terrain, either. Especially, coming around those tight switch-backs, but this might be my own technical abilities lacking.

So here's my new avenue of approach. http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

I know I need to finally go FS to be able to navigate the terrain, but do y'all think a 29er(with some gained experience) would be able to make quick DH turns? Or would a 26er FS be better suited?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'd look into the pitch for a full sus Spesh that can go downhill competently.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm loving the new Enduro that I got from 58. I was considering the Pitch for a while but I like the shorter chain stay on the Enduro(manuels, jumps, bunny hops). The head tube angle feels real nice on those DH runs too. It's not so bad uphill either, better than my HT. From what I understand the Camber is more xc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simpterfex View Post
    I'm loving the new Enduro that I got from 58. I was considering the Pitch for a while but I like the shorter chain stay on the Enduro(manuels, jumps, bunny hops). The head tube angle feels real nice on those DH runs too. It's not so bad uphill either, better than my HT. From what I understand the Camber is more xc.
    Yeah, I'm seriously looking into the Pitch Comp, but I like the Pro components a lot better. The perfect balance of components for me would be the Stumpy Comp 29er, but the frame color just erks me. I know that sounds stupid, but I have to look at it everyday.

The Enduro Comp is also a contender, but at the top of my budget. $3K is about my limit, and would push me a little out of my comfort zone.

simpterfex - What's your enduro weighing in at? That's the one thing that I don't love about the Pitch is the 30+ pounds.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Sounds like I'm going to have to make a trip down and ride some of these trails. I'm assuming the pillar trails are shuttles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    Sounds like I'm going to have to make a trip down and ride some of these trails. I'm assuming the pillar trails are shuttles.
    Shuttles? I got it. Nevermind.

They definitely could be! I don't know if simpterfex and the guys he rides with shuttle it. I've been riding to the top as my "workout" and the downhill is my reward. When I ran my GPS it's about 2 miles and 2K foot ascent. Today it took me and a buddy about 30 minutes to get to the top.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I usually ride up too, shuttles are totally fine by me, we could ride a different trail every run.

mtbr member
    I usually ride up too, shuttles are totally fine by me, we could ride a different trail every run.

Hey, Ryan. When does the riding season slow down here for winter? I'm not going to be able to get my bike for a month or so, and I don't want to be looking at it all winter.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I ride all winter long. It snows a bit but usually always stays clean under the spruce canopy. Kodiak has such a temperate climate that you shouldn't have any problem riding throughout the winter. You might want to get some studded tires.

mtbr member
    I ride all winter long. It snows a bit but usually always stays clean under the spruce canopy. Kodiak has such a temperate climate that you shouldn't have any problem riding throughout the winter. You might want to get some studded tires.

Nice! Felix told me to get some studded tires for the winter. Okay, now I'm stoked!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Here is a shot from this summer.

http://youtu.be/uQWRJ9v7-CY

mtbr member
    Nice! Where is that? Have any more?

I went for a ride here on base to get some practice in. Back on the southeast side of base there a nice wooded area with a few nice decents that I'm using to break my braking habit. As well as some nice singletrack that just needs to be worn in. Riding here has taught me that I really didn't know what I was doing. I've been reading and trying to teach myself balance, braking, clipping in, ect.

I can't totally blame myself since my bike is set up for XC. I thought about rebuilding it as more of an AM HT, but said screw it, and I'll just get the Pitch. I wont be able to get it till Aug, though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That's on Pillar, I'll show you where if we can ever find time to ride. I'm going to be making a longer movie soon I just got a Contour HD.

mtbr member
    That's on Pillar, I'll show you where if we can ever find time to ride. I'm going to be making a longer movie soon I just got a Contour HD.

Nice one! You guys hiring?

I shoulda bought one of those instead of my bloggie.

mtbr member
    Here is a shot from this summer.
    Hey, I found that spot today, and the video does NOT do that justice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Where abouts are these trails. I just got stationed at JBER two weeks ago, and I am looking for riding areas and fellow riders.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    FORDOLET, try Kincaid park in Anchorage, or over behind Service High.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fordolet View Post
    Where abouts are these trails. I just got stationed at JBER two weeks ago, and I am looking for riding areas and fellow riders.
    Yeah, this is all Kodiak riding,

Do you guys have any TACPs up there at JBER?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    that jump is sik. really need to get some more time on the bike and do some real exploring. does anyone know where i can get some used forks in alaska to upgrad my hard rock front end. it is kicking my butt on the rocky down hills
    Go big or Go home. It was a hell of a day if you have broken bones!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fordolet View Post
    There's some fun close by too at Russian Jack park. Boniface to Debarr to the park entrace if you drive. Or you may be close enough to ride from the base. You can ride the north or south side of the park. At first look it looks like there isn't much, but the more you explore the more trails you find. A few good hills and lots of roots.