If you don't enter...

then I will win.

Ak29
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm in

54 below in Prudoe tonight so I don't think I'll be climbing towers up there this week, so I might as well do the race/ride. Screw BP's communications....
    Leonard told me to say that.
    Looks like below 0 temps for the race. Yesssss!!
    Pat

mtbr member
    Results? Stories?

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Resultz

The first person to reach the 1/2 way turn around was a skier - Cory Smith, the 2nd person to reach the turn around was not a skier .. a biker ! the Queen Bee aka, Janice Tower ! The First person to reach the 50 Fini was yeas a skier .......... Cory Smith, followed be the ever smiling Queen Bee ! The temps were a balmy 1-5 degrees around the coast and I am sure on the TOA trail sections in the Campbell Creek drainage the temps were in the -5 to -10 range.
    According to the racers that I chatted with during the event, the trail conditions were equally sucky for everyone, 2- 3 inches of fresh fine snow that provided hardly any glide and for the bikers it was a constant grind . The fat tires seemed, for some to worked very well .......... hopefully some of the racers will chime in with some good stories !
    Last edited by rio; 01-08-2007 at 05:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Results are in !

The results are up on (chainreactioncycles.us). I would like to thank Carlos for the help. Thanks for the great turn out.

Fatback

Results/stories-Frosty something

The race took place under difficult conditions as you might guess. After all the dry snow and cold temps this week, I figured there would be lot's of wallowing and pushing the bike so I decided to ski instead. For me this was a mistake because the only thing worse than my glide was my ski conditioning. Jamie rolled by pretty quickly right after the start as did Cory, who my hat's off to for holding an awesome tempo-way to go man. He had some smoking fast skis and is in great shape-always a good combo. My new winter Camelback with the fully insulated pack and hose froze up within the first 20 minutes. There was a nice headwind on the coast. Tim thawed it out for me and gave it back at Earthquake Park and by the ball fields it was frozen again. Things softened up a little more at Westchester and here is where it kind of hit me. When it was shitty riding, it was also shitty skiing, so no advantage. I do think the lighter riders like Jamie and Janice had a better time of it though (than the heavier riders.) Hat's off to both of them as well. Janice looked so fresh at the turnaround. APU was incredibly tough. Very narrow and very soft. Almost any other day of this year this race would have been easier. It seemed as if it took and exponential effort to slightly increase your speed. Maybe when I take the heat packs off my crotch and the ice packs off my back I'll see you at the shop tonight. Greg

mtbr member
    Way to go Janice.
    Again, single-handedly responsible for an overwhelming feeling of low self-esteem and inadequacy among male cyclists in Anchorage.

Beware of Doggerel
    All Hail Queen Bee

Bzzzz.... Bzzzz...

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Wood chips are stupid

There are other ways

Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Way to go Janice.
    Again, single-handedly responsible for an overwhelming feeling of low self-esteem and inadequacy among male cyclists in Anchorage.

If you want to feel really wimpy,try to keep up with her downhill skiing or multi tasking.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

What Penguin???
    You guys are too funny.
    What a fun race and a good chance to check out your systems for the Susitna! Here's what I know for certain:
    a) If in doubt, let air out.
    b) Cover your ears when the north wind blows.
    c) If you have had lazer surgery on your eyes, wear eye protection when it's windy.
    d) Nalgene bottles in insulated sleeves, fill with very hot water. I've given up the anxiety of trying to keep a camelbak hose from freezing.
    e) Jamey, Bill and Carlos ROCK! Thanks for starting another great tradition in Anchorage. Other trail users knew what was happening, and lots of folks moved out of the way and cheered us on (even the nordies)! Great way to build positive relations among user groups.

(Akdeluxe, If I'm so good at multi-tasking, why can't I get anything done)???
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

Mr.Secret
    Way to go Queen Bee Hey, were you on a Thunderwing or a Mai Tai ?

What Penguin???

Vicious!

I rode the Vicious Thunderwing! Wonderful flotation (squishy, squishy tires), light the way I had it set up (except for that extra liter of water that I lugged all the way to Service), and very glad I had that granny gear for the hill up to Kincaid.
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

Mr.Secret
    sweet

Wood chips are stupid

all right girls!

Props to Janice and Jamie,the two fastest gals on winter bikes!

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT