rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Frigid Drool Results

The temps were a balmy -15 when Greg Matyas led Tom Peichel, Daniel Folmar, Tim " Grill Meister" Kelly, Zack Huff, Will Brady and Al Mitchel to complete 11 laps in 60 minutes of trail riding at Goose Lake.

The soon to be famous Frigid Bits Burn Barrel and its very warm fire came in handy to thaw out world class nasal glaciers and beardsicles and to keep beer from freezing !

Special kudos to Will in that he rode his bike to the event, so what is special about that you wonder, well the bike he rode to Goose Lake was towing a trailer and on that trailer was the bike he rode in the Drool 60 ! At the end of the Tailgate parting, Will then loaded up the bike on the trailer and bike towed everything back to Spenard in balmy -15 degree temps !!!!!!!!

The Tailgate featured Thirstyworks awesome 1/2 sucked big ballz chilli, s.a.m.'s jamalya, some pork chops and the infamous grilled brats that when accompanied with pickle relish that was so cold that it caused mild cases of brain freeze !

Please visit this forum for the soon to arrive Frigid Bits Grand Finale !!!!

Does anyone have pics from last nights gig to post !

Grillin' & Chillin'

Frigid Bits - Top 10 Observations

Things observed at Frigid Bits 2/24/2007

1. Beer freezes too darn quick at -10 if you don't keep it close to the FBBB
    2. No matter what the weather or trail conditions, Carlos will be there.
    3. No matter what the weather or trail conditions, we will be there.
    4. No matter what the weather or trail conditions, ThirstyWork will beat you to the beer.
    5. No matter what the weather or trail conditions, you can still ride and have fun.
    6. When it's that cold, suspension sucks! For those that were there, remember how I complained about the rear shock? When I got home I discovered that at those low temps my Fox rear shock didn't hold air, so I was cruizin on a low rider for the whole race, no pressure so I was riding bottomed out the whole time.
    7. Tough Guy Award - And the Golden Beard-sicle goes to Will. Man I wish I had a picture of him rolling away from the Goose parking lot towing his machine on that trailer. It reminded me of seeing fuel injected drag bikes being hauled to the Valley for the weekend. I think Will was fueled, but it wasn't by injection. Way to go Will.
    8. Propane at -10 flows better once warmed by the FBBB.
    9. Windbreakers can be used to send smoke signals from the FBBB in case of emergency.
    10. It takes determination and limber fingers to fix a flat at -10. Good job Nick!

Thanks again Carlos. It was a superb event in the Frozen Wasteland. The trail was hard and fast, thus setting the tone and style of ride. It was like a criterium on the snow, flat and fast with a lot of corners.

I took 4 videos of the FBBB in it's glowing glory. The link below will send you to my MySpace were I've posted the videos. The audio captured is quite appropriate too, so make sure your sound is on when playing the video. The link takes you to the first one and the other three will be sitting off to the right side of the MySpace video.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=2010856048

Fatback

grillin' beer

What an awesome night once again. Great ride, great friends and great beer/food and tunes. This is what it should be like at the summer series.I guess it's up to all of us to make it happen. If you've seen these posts but haven't shown up yet, be sure to catch the next couple, cause we're nearing the end soon. Trails should be in the best shape of the year for the next month, so don't miss out. Speedsk8, your observations are spot on. I might have to fabricate some "beer sticks" for the burn barrel to keep them thawed on these -10* to -15* weenie shrinkers.You might need to get a new seal kit for your shock-an easy diy project. The videos of the FBBB came out sweet, particularly the heart spoke. I think I'll make a headtube badge out of that.
    This contraption of Will's they're talking about is pretty damn impressive. It looks like a 10' radio tower with wheels. There is a roof-type rack mounted in the middle that he attached his race bike to with a cargo box on the back. I was thinking of turning that trailer into a beer wagon. Hell, we could fit the FBBB on it and have our tailgaters trailside.
    As always, thanks to our fine brother Carlos for all his efforts. If it weren't for you, it wouldn't happen.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hi guys,

First time I've every had to grill the beer to keep it liquid. What a night! Thanks for letting my join in. Next time I'll bring my bike as join in, as long as you all don't mind an old fat bringing up the rear.

If one of you could clue me in on how to get pictures posted in this forum, I've got a few I could share.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Okay, Let's see is I got this figured out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here's a couple more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grillin' & Chillin'

Great Pics

Thanks for posting the pics. Now I know how frozen I looked at the finish. Nice shot of Will's bike trailer too. If we all had one of those we could haul the grill and the FBBB out into the woods anywhere and stage an event. See you next time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Unfortunately, the Polka car and kegs of beer got the better of me and I was not able to make it after the Ski Train. The only thing I was fit to ride at that point was a cab. Sounds like I missed another good one. Keep 'em coming!

FatBike Fiend

Hey Carlos and Frigid Bitsers

Anybody interested in a Frigid Bits race this weekend or next out here in the valley? We have a very killer 18 mile trail (could be made longer if desired) mapped and GPS'ed. It runs along the base of the mountains between Palmer Fishhook and Buffalo Mine road with a great mix of terrain including a speedy whoop de doo descent. Lots of room for parking and a BBQ after too. And the trails are rock hard now so should be fast barring drastic change. Us Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers will mark the course for you and participate in the racing action as well. Whatcha think, good place for the finale?
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wow !

Thank you for the offer !
    I'll call an emergency meeting of the FBBBBC ( Frigid Bits Biking and Burn Barrel Coalition ) asap . I think it would be very important for our fellow MatSu SnoBros north and the Anchorage Sno Bros have a gathering where we can share the warmth of FBBB Mt.Bike Shrine and also swill beer and snarf tasty food prepared on the grillzilla !

Fatback
    Thanks for the offer, Wildfire. Sounds good to me. I'm up for anytime. The Tour of Anch is this weekend, but I don't think that will affect us too much. I'd even be willing to check it out this weekend knowing the weather is supposed to hold. I'll talk to Carlos and some of the others and see what they think. Looking forward to checking out more of what you have out there.

FatBike Fiend

Let me know

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    Thank you for the offer !
    I'll call an emergency meeting of the FBBBBC ( Frigid Bits Biking and Burn Barrel Coalition ) asap . I think it would be very important for our fellow MatSu SnoBros north and the Anchorage Sno Bros have a gathering where we can share the warmth of FBBB Mt.Bike Shrine and also swill beer and snarf tasty food prepared on the grillzilla !
    Sounds good. If judged worthy us valley swine too can worship at the altar of the shrine. And we do have some limited experience in beer drinking, so that shouldn't be a problem. Seriously, think about it, the trails are in really nice shape now. I could go out on friday and mark the course. We have it all: groomed swoopers, roller coasters, open swamps, wooded sections, climbs, and a nice descent to boot. It's a loop so no repeating any trail sections and it's right up against the mountains so there's some nice backdrop.
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

Someone linked this post from the Norcal board....you guys are friggin hard core! I won't whine about my toes being cold in 45 degree weather anymore.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile well, well ..... well golly

Thank you for the compliment ! The Frigid Bits ride series attracts the hardier trail rider who enjoys the challenges of doing ride at your own pace events and then the BS sessions after the rides ! We may look strange and kind of frozen and bleary and beer eyed but we ride way better than we look !

Quote Originally Posted by mtb_g33k
    Someone linked this post from the Norcal board....you guys are friggin hard core! I won't whine about my toes being cold in 45 degree weather anymore.
    Last edited by rio; 02-26-2007 at 05:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anybody interested in a Frigid Bits race this weekend or next out here in the valley? We have a very killer 18 mile trail (could be made longer if desired) mapped and GPS'ed. It runs along the base of the mountains between Palmer Fishhook and Buffalo Mine road with a great mix of terrain including a speedy whoop de doo descent. Lots of room for parking and a BBQ after too. And the trails are rock hard now so should be fast barring drastic change. Us Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers will mark the course for you and participate in the racing action as well. Whatcha think, good place for the finale?
    Any further word on this proposal? Frigid Bits "sanctioned" or not, sounds like a most excellent idea to me. Based on your brief description, this is right below Hatcher's Pass, no? Would it be worth a daytime ride to enjoy the scenery? All this UltraSport discussion has me itching to get back out.

Grillin' & Chillin'

Word Up!

I'm down for the MatSu ride. To quote the Cameo lyrics to "Word Up!"

Yo’, pretty ladies around the world
    Got a weird thing to show you, so tell all the boys and girls
    Tell your brother, your sister and your mamma too
    ‘Cause we’re about to throw down and you know just what to do
    Word up, everybody say
    When you hear the call you’ve got to get it under way

So let's do it. We should discuss car poolin and who, what, where, and when. I think it would be great to do a day time ride in the glorious Alaskan winter sun, besides it will be at least 15-20 degrees warmer than a night time ride and this is the best time of year to enjoy winter activities. It would also give us plenty of time to "relax" a little prior to heading back to Anchor town. I'd be willing to haul the grill to show some good southern hospitality to our northern MatSu SnoBros.

Wildfire - Can we get some specifics on directions and start time? What's the terrain, is it a hilly course? I'm thinking that if we had a 1pm start time and it's a rolling course that even us old slow dudes could finish before 4pm giving us plenty of "hang" time afterwards. Let us know as soon as possible so that we can use a little strategery to plan out the day. Thanks.

Fatback

tastes like candy...

Damn Tim, this Sno Bros thing is sinkin' in! Cameo-you know that's my era. Maybe I'll show up wearing a red codpiece. I couldn't be happier that you're in. I thought there was a slim chance that the Tour of Anch wasn't all THAT important. As far as start times go, Joe might need a bit more time than a 1pm start. He'll already be out there at the gunshow. Also 3 would be a bit warmer. Either way is fine by me. I guess I'll leave it up to Wildfire and the Valley Bros. The burn barrel is ready for action if needed. I'm bringing beer and tequilla this time so I don't have to grill my beverages if it's cold.

FatBike Fiend

Roll out the barrel

I'll round up some firewood. See the directions in Rio's new thread: "Frigid MatSu Bits". Will be out marking the course on Friday if anybody wants to help out and/or pre-ride the course.
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

Grillin' & Chillin'

Saturday, The Turd of March to the Valley

Thirsty, and all other interested parties.

I'm good for a later start, if it's more in line with everyone elses schedules. Later is definitely warmer though. Maybe Broken Toe Joe can bring some bazookas from the Gun Show so we can bag some fresh game for the grill while out on the trail. I haven't had fresh ptarmigan for decades.

Thirsty - Music is really important to my mental health. Just like everything in life can be relative to a "Seinfeld" episode, so too with music. Qouting lyrics for me is always a test to see who understands the relavence. Recoginition of quoted lyrics is cool, knowing someone else listens to the same stuff.