rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Frigid Bits X Goober Smacked ='s Nut Cracker

This ride at your own pace event will be twice the fun as the previous rides in that riders will be able to enjoy each course on the same evening !

What: Ride 2 laps of the FB course the ride out to Hill Top Chalet and finish by riding 2 laps of FB .

Ride Route :Start, Goose Lake, 2 laps of Frigid Bits > Tudor Over Pass > TOA ( Tour of Anchorage ) >
    View Point > Moose Meadows > Rover's Run > touch the Hill Side Chalet >and return the same way then complete 2 laps to FINI.

Approximate Distance : 20 MIles

When : Saturday, November 25th

Important Time Info : Sign up; 6:30 - 6:45
    Riders meeting ; 6:45
    Depart; 7 PM
    Helmets and lights are required
    Last edited by rio; 11-19-2006 at 05:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Dang Carlos

The one weekend I'm out of town you go and put the two races together.
    After making it to the first two events im kind of bummed about missing out on this one.
    I'm sure to make it to the next one though.

Remember the extra-tuffs, or scout the overflow on rovers

-Carp
    Last edited by ericcarp; 11-20-2006 at 01:09 PM.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Rover's Overflow

The overflow phenom is very interesting and presents some challenging sections in our urban and back country trails. I have seen over flow change within a few hours ! I would seriously suggest that all NutCracker Riders scout the overflow sections as well as the alternative route which is Moose Meadows > Right on Back Bear > left on Brown Bear > to multi-use corridor to Hilltop Chalet and reverse back to the start. Moose Meadows, Rovers, the View Point Trail to the Moose Meadows junction ( the View point Trail that is south of the Moose Meadow jct. is out of bounds ) , the lower section of Black Bear to the Brown Bear jct. is the only section of Black bear that is in bounds. The entire length of Brown Bear is legit
    I will try to ride the overflow section (s) starting Wednesday and then present ride reports on this forum.
    Ultimately, it is the riders responsibility to know the route and the alternatives to the primary route.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

ice, snow and ice?

.. from a seasoned questioning mind - can riders switch bikes during the race? The young dudes are already making plans.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! NutCracker : Extra Bike rulz

2 bikes are ok, however, each rider will have to be responsible for that extra bike .....
    The Frigid Course route will be clockwise, also there will be a [U]10 mile option[/U] where riders will shimmy down View Point left on Moose Meadows ride Moose Meadows to Rover's Run turn left on to Rover's Run then ride Rover's then head over to the Tour of Anchorage and to the finish.

The extra bike rule

Parity: The following will be employed to create parity between those that will use 2 bikes and those that will only have 1.
    2 Bikes
    Those that choose to use a second bike will ride a total of 3 laps of the Frigid Bits course, this may be done prior to going out on the trail or after or some before or some after .... now here is the really important part; those riders who will use 2 bikes must declare how they will complete the 3 laps when they sign up !
    Oh, I almost forgot, if 2 bikes are used drafting will be tolerated and encouraged

1 Bike
    The riders that will only ride one bike will have to ride a total of 2 laps of the Frigid Bits course and this will be done after the trail portion is completed.

10 Mile Ride
    These riders will ride the 2 laps before the trail portion.

Also : Tudor Rd, Tudor sidewalk,Campbell Airstrip Road and all other roads and sidewalks leading from and to Goose Lake are out of bounds. Designated multi-use trails and parking lots are ok.
    Last edited by rio; 11-22-2006 at 06:24 PM.

What Penguin???
    As of today, Rovers has lots of thick ice but it is solid and the surface is rather tacky. But don't get too carried away hitting the gas!

QB
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rover's Overflow report 11/22 4 PM

Temperature -1
    sunny and no wind
    Bike : Desalvo / Wildfire Phat tire
    I rode from the rusty bridge to the end of Rover's. The trail was rather bumpy but not annoying .... the frozen overflow was a great experience that should not be missed !
    This overflow is about 1/8 mile long and varies in width, the interesting part is the grade and texture of the ice. The frozen overflow actually has frozen slanted step ups that will surprise you both ways going up them and then going down them on the way back ! The sections with the crunchy frosty coating offers the best traction.
    This section will reward those with a velvet smooth spin and smooth steering technique !
    Those riders with a herky jerky spin and steer with spastic arm motions will end up on the ice !
    Walking or standing on this ice is not advisable, period ! The ice is so slicippery that its best to stay on your bike. I rode this section with the phat tires and no studs, so its doable with phat tires but safer with studs, plain 26 or 29 inch tires without studs is just stupid; oh, use your brakes sparingly if not, your on the ice !

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nut Cracker (d ) Estrogen

Rumor has it that some women may actually participate in the NutCracker. Please be aware, should any males get "Cracked " by a women rider (s) , the excuses of "doood I had a flat " or " I had a mechanical " is really weak sauce !

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    As of today, Rovers has lots of thick ice but it is solid and the surface is rather tacky. But don't get too carried away hitting the gas!

QB
    Last edited by rio; 11-24-2006 at 10:01 PM.