rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Frigid Bits: Splat Results

First of all a big thank you to Maura the primo Frigid Bits volunteer who kept track of laps, to all the riders who had faith in that the course would be rideable and to the man with the Grill Tim Kelly !
    The riders and I would also owe a huge Thank You to Steve C. for his time and 4 wheeler which was used to save many hours of snow removal labor in preparing the course for tonight's ride.

Well, 11 riders appeared at Goose Lake to challenge themselves to complete 5 or 10 miles on the re-sculptured course; 6 riders elected to ride the 12 miler and and 5 selected the 10 mile choice.
    Long
    Greg Matyas, 38:08; Jamie Stull, 39:37; Tim Kelly, 39:41; Joe Pollack, 40:08;
    Dan Folmar, 41:29; Ben Williams, 41:35.

Short
    Bill " I'm so hip " Fleming, 20:53; Andy Monaco, 21:33; Miles Kelly, 21:35;
    Steve Constantine, 21:50; Will Brady 24:07.

After the race, all the racers and spectators gathered at the Goose Lake parking lot, where Tim unloaded this humongus grill and soon food was being brought over to his truck and soon thereafter a tail gate party found us ! Bikes, beer, brauts, burgers,
    and good friends ! A great way to end the 2006 edition of Frigid Bits and great start for the 2007 version of the not yet famous Frigid Bits Winter Race Series !

I would like to thank all the riders and volunteers for all their support of the Frigid Bits and for the best kept winter mt. bike ride secret in Anchorage !
    Last edited by rio; 12-31-2006 at 05:15 PM.

Diaskeuast

Great race

This one had it all: fresh snow, fierce competition, gnarly wipeouts, the best end-of-the-race dismount of the season (nice job, Jamie) and a freakin' tailgate party. It just doesn't get any better than that.

(Note: Rob German* deserves honorable mention for his endo finale, but Jamie got extra points for actually being graceful.)

*The dude who showed up two laps late and rode in jeans with his checkbook hanging out of his back pocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Big Karma; 12-31-2006 at 12:02 AM.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Diaskeuast
    More photos.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

d'oh

Good Lord. I must remember that aligning a slipping helmet to horizontal *while on the bike* is not an optimal strategy. Great ride, though.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great Images !

Thank you for documenting the riders and the fun !
    Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by timwoody
    More photos.

mtbr member

great photos

Great nighttime action photos Tim ! - I see that you also have a contri in this months Dirt Rag.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Grillin' & Chillin'

Good job! Great Event Carlos!! -- You are Thee Man, man

Carlos,
    Thanks for putting on another fantastic event. I couldn't have spent Saturday evening in a better. Hangin with my old racing buds, imbibing some tasty beverages and firing up the grill in the middle of the winter. I had too much fun.

The competition was pretty tight in both races. I particularly enjoyed battling it out with Jamie. It was really cool to see him come back to pass me later in the race. But, only after Joe gave him some coaching on how to use the patented "DD" ( Doofus Dad - that's me) unicycle cornering technique. After that lesson I don't think I'll ever see him behind me again. Way to go Jamie!!

Tim Woody - your photos are awesome. Great action shots of what fun you can have winter cycling.

Wood chips are stupid

All right Carlos!

Killer Sat night dude! Competition was tight, the course was fast and interesting and the food and libations were killer. Good times and good friends! Good pics Tim(it's always the freaks that surprise you). I only wish I could have been there.

akdeluxe
    Last edited by akdeluxe; 12-31-2006 at 01:52 PM.
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Diaskeuast

Better late than never

More photos from the last race on Goose Lake, courtesy of Greg's wife:

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    SWEET!!! that looks like ALOT OF FUNN!!!
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007