rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Frigid Bits: Gulo Gulo Results

Well, I am not sure how to talk about last nights ride but i'll give it a shot.
    This write up will have 3 parts, the ride, a biker, and the beer.

The ride was a handicapped by time event where the fastest rider started last with a time handicap based on the seasons results.
    I seperated the group into 2 sections, WRBP ( Will Ride Beer Posse ) and WRFBC ( Will Ride Fast for Beer Congregation ).

Will Ride for Beer Posse
    Will who departed at 7:06 and finished at 8:30 ETT of 1H:24m
    Maura, Steve, Curt departed at 6:40 and returned at 8:39 elapsed total time of 1H 59 min

Will Ride Fast for Beer Congregation

Thirtsy works: departed at 7:17 and returned at 8:05 ETT 48 minutes
    Dan Folmer: departed at 7:15 rtn at 8:12; ETT 57 Min
    Grill Meister: departed at 7:05 rtn at 8:12; ETT 1:03
    Joe O : departed at 7:00 PM rtn 8:14; ETT 1:14
    John "wrong turn " E. departed at 6:55, rtn 8:09; ETT 1:14

The trail was fast fun and is such a blast to ride we may have this ride once a year.

Now this part is about a biker, and his name is Will. Will has a bike, and with this bike he tows a trailer , and on this trailer is his race bike. Well, Will towed his race bike all the way from Spenard down Tudor and up Campbell Airstrip Road to the start of the Gulo Gulo. He rode the Gulo Gulo course had a few brews and enjoyed the hawtness of the fabulous FBBB. Then, he loaded his race bike on his bike trailer and rode his bike with his race bike in tow back to Spenard ! Will is one serious Frigid Bits biker dewed !

At last the beer part; With the glow of the hawtnes and glowing flame from the FBBB, Thirty works art worx was enjoyed by everyone last night ! He created a seasonal beer called the Legger Hound Lager just for this ride. ( you have to complete the ride to understand the name ) Everyone is sworn to secrecy so don't bother asking questions. This fine brew will not be available again until the 2008 Gulo Gulo ! Sorry.

Also the talented creator of the fabulous FBBB, unveiled a new Burn Barrel Ale !
    The label displays a string of fat bikes towing the Fabulous Frigid Bits Burn Barrel up a undisclosed snow capped Alaskan mountain. To awesome !

The next Frigid Bits, on March 17th, will be a Tailgater extravaganza and hoopla gig combined with generous amounts of swillin and grillin ! This ride will be focused at West Chester Lagoon and will be a combo ride. A rider will have the choice to either ride the ice ride or trail ride or both ! We will also want to see if we can have phat tire riders bring their Pugs or Wildfire bikes for a show off your phat bike off session for all those riders who are wondering what is going on with the Anchorage phat bike scene. We will also see who has the lightest and fattiest phat bike !

Please stay tuned to this forum for additional details, I should have the details worked out by Monday evening !

Grillin' & Chillin'

Gulo Gulo - Combo

As always thanks to rio for organizing another fine event.

The combo of previous race routes plus some new ones made for an interesting and fun event, which included a couple moose encounters. Thirsty Work and I picked up the trail this morning it was even harder and faster today. It probably had something to do with the temperature being -5 degrees. It was a great way to start a beautiful sunny Sunday. It reminded me, once again, of why we live in Alaska.

It should be great fun for the St Patty's day ride next week. With the change in day light, I'm guessing we won't need to bring any lighting. I'm hoping for a good turnout of Frigid Bit-ers as we will be chillin' and grillin' for maybe the last event of the winter. It's been an unbelievable fun winter hangin' with all you fine folks.

The word (Frigid Bits) is definitely getting out there. Just prior to the ride starting a runner coming into the parking lot, from the trails, stopped to say hi and then asked "Is this the Frigid Bits group?" Excellent!
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Fatback
    What a course. To all of you who couldn't make it, this has got to be another annual event. Too much fun. You missed out on Speedsk8's homemade salsa with homegrown chiles. We also ran out of the Leghound Lager. Thanks to Carlos for enduring the math of the format, which made for an interesting race. Wish we had some photos to post, but no cameras this weekend. What's he got in store for us next weekend?

Grillin' & Chillin'

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Lost & Found

I Picked up a Sugoi skull cap when cleaning up at the Frigid Bits at the end of the evening. If you need it before this weekend I'll figure out someway to get it to you. If not I will be bringing it to next weekends ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sorry I missed it...damn ski train again (who ever thought I'd be complaining about that). Anyway I had more than a few brews of my own so I was with you in spirit and will make it a point to attend the grand finale event this weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Great Ride!

I'd like to thank Carlos for selecting a great course that was very interesting and challenging, but not overwhelming for a newbee. Thanks also to Maura and Steve for making sure I didn't get lost out there. I learned allot and look forward to future rides.

Now if I can only find a set of those 26" Nokian Extreme 294s or Schwalbe Ice Spikers to beg, borrow or borrow to mount up to my son's mtn.bike for the Westerchester ride on the ice. I wonder how long it will be before Nokian finally recognizes that there is a market for FAT 29er studded tires. The 29er studs I've got just don't cut it!