rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Frigid Bits: Bikin, Grillin and Chillin Soire'e

The Feb. 24th Tailgate Soiree is on !
    This will be a very special Soiree in that this will be the official unveiling of the Fabulous Frigid Bits Burn Barrel ! This unveiling will occurr at the conclusion of the bike event and before the grillin and chillin time. Regretfully, we are not accepting reservations for this occasion, so it will be SRO or bring your own chair !
    The Biking part :
    DROOL 60
    What : a 60 minute 2 person relay
    Where: Goose Lake, the long crit ice course
    Ride: 7 PM

The Chillin Part:
    This will happen before, during and after the race.
    This is when the soon to be regional winter mt. bike shrine and maybe Anchorages world class tourist trap; The Fabulous Frigid Bits Burn Barrel will be unveiled. The increadable infamous Art Thirsty, the creator of The Fabulous Frigid Bits Burn Barrel, will be there to sign your beer bottle or your fave underwear
    ( clean is preferred ) or whatever at no charge to you !

The Grillin Part:
    Please bring some grilling food or other yummy food to share and that will go with BYOB adult beverages . Perhaps, if you are lucky, TK, the Frigid Bits Grill Meister, will show you his arsenal of grillin tools !

Please use this thread if you have any questions.
    Last edited by rio; 02-19-2007 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member

Relay huh?

yep looks like my bride Lisa will be getting back to Anchorage late Friday - she says she will do the relay thing if I give her the "good studded tires" - any body else want to race spouses....?
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Are we to arrange our own team?

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Relay Teams

The relay teams will be randomly selected after sign up; so at this time you have no idea who your team mate is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Is anyone willing to offer advice for "ice course". I've ridden the course while trail riding on my fat bike, going slow and not blinking. I'm sure my partner is expecting me to travel faster. Should I put on the studs? Is suspension useful in a ride like this?
    Thanks in advance.
    al

Grillin' & Chillin'

Drool 60

Okey, lets see who can come up with the best acronym for the DROOL 60.
    I know there are better brains with better puzzling/english skills than me, but here's what I came up with for starters.

[SIZE="3"]D[/SIZE]idn't [SIZE="3"]R[/SIZE]ide? you're [SIZE="3"]O[/SIZE]ut [SIZE="3"]O[/SIZE]f [SIZE="3"]L[/SIZE]uck

[SIZE="3"]D[/SIZE]oubles [SIZE="3"]R[/SIZE]ace [SIZE="3"]O[/SIZE]ut [SIZE="3"]O[/SIZE]n the [SIZE="3"]L[/SIZE]ake

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

s.a.m.

Studs would be the very best choice, there are places on the lake where the ice is very very slick and after a few laps i'm sure your sphincter gizzmo will cramp up with out studs. The DROOL 60 is first a fun event, and as usual a ride at your own pace event, just let your partner know if you plan to stop in mid lap to have a beer so he can also enjoy a cold one while waiting for you. Please remember fun and safety is first at Frigid Bits events. Suspension would be fine, a hardtail would be mo betta only if they are both eqipped with studs.
    DROOL= DR (.)(.) L or DR. OOL ? hmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by s.a.m.
    Is anyone willing to offer advice for "ice course". I've ridden the course while trail riding on my fat bike, going slow and not blinking. I'm sure my partner is expecting me to travel faster. Should I put on the studs? Is suspension useful in a ride like this?
    Thanks in advance.
    al

Grillin' & Chillin'
    Fat tires aren't the best on the hard surface of the lake. Carlos likes to mix it up a bit so I'm sure it won't be all lake surface. He'll probably throw in some soft stuff for fun. For the most part though most of the courses have always been best suited to rigid frames with studded tires. Style and technique goes a long way when it comes to handling the corners. Moving your weight forward on the corners helps in maintaining control. Just imagine that your trying to make your bike into a unicycle by getting all your weight over that front wheel. If you want some tips I could show up a little early and have a little "How To" demo.

Grill Meister

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Rio/Grill Meister,
    Thanks for the tips. Just didn't want to show up to the gunfight with a knife. TK , no need to show up early, it'll take all the fun out of watching me make a fool out of myself during the ride.
    See you at the f.b.b.b.
    al

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Moving your weight forward on the corners helps in maintaining control.
    Ah-HAH! I was wondering if there was something wrong with my technique. Unfortunately (sort of), I won't be able to make this one. I've got tickets for the ski train but I will try to stop by for the post-race festivities if we get back to town in time. Hopefully this isn't the last one of the season!