Thread: Frigid Bits

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Frigid Bits

The first Frigid Bits gathering will take place this Saturday at 7PM at the Raspberry Parking Lot. Details are on the Alaska Endurance Association Facebook page. Hope to see you there!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thanks to Carlos to another successful frigid bits! Wood was burned! Akvavit was drank!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Nev
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Think I'm going to show up at the 6 Hour Boner tomorrow night. Likely only one lap to get started. Any tips to offer a newb? Little things others take for granted like having clear glasses/goggles? How to avoid over/under dressing? Will lights be required whole route?

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    G'Day Nev! Well, let us take care of some of the easy questions first and then we will procede from there. This ride is scheduled to be a 20 mile ride starting at 5 PM from the boat ramp at West Chester Lagoon. Yes, you will need a light if you are going to attempt the entire route. The googles /glass fog issue is an on going experiment for many riders and i have yet, in my 40 years of riding, i have yet to find any thing that works short of not wearing my glasses. These rides are non supported so carry what ever food and liquids you will need to sustain yourself for the length of the ride time wise. Riders should be knowledgeable about their bike and body to repair either one. The dressing for winter riding is a topic that has many many options. The best advice is to wear clothing that will allow yo to maximize the loss of moisture from your clothing while biking. I have bike clothing that have pit zips and mesh backs that work fine for me. However, what works for me may not work for you. Thank you for joining us, there is a ride leader for those who wish to do a pace which is casual and relaxed or for those who are not familiar with the trails
    . Please go to the Alaska Endurance Association Face Book page for ride details and the route.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nev View Post
    Think I'm going to show up at the 6 Hour Boner tomorrow night. Likely only one lap to get started. Any tips to offer a newb? Little things others take for granted like having clear glasses/goggles? How to avoid over/under dressing? Will lights be required whole route?
    Dress like an XC skier, put some nylon running pants and top in your pack if you are worried about getting cold. A few handwarmers for hands just in case. Good usually to have a poofy-jacket/sweater for the burn-barrel festivities. If it's packable-enough, this could substitute for your top shell in your pack. It's not supposed to be too cold, but it's a good idea to have a balaclava or something similar. If there's a lot of stopping and starting and slow speeds, I have to dress as if it's going to be about 10 degrees colder.

Down to -20F or so, I don't worry about goggles, but that's when I can feel my eyeballs starting to get cold. That's also when I have the biggest problems with fogging, because the fog instantly freezes and then must be scraped off. If it's warmer, generally not a big deal, but over-dressing can make you exert far beyond your body's ability to dissipate it, which is a great recipe for fog. Remember, dress with breathable stuff, and it usually takes my body about 20 min to reach "operating temperature", so how I feel before I start is not how I am on most of the ride, but for slow rides you do need to dress a little warmer.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There will be a ride leader for those who are not familiar with the trails or who would prefer a more sedate pace.
    Also at 10 PM there will be oval racing on the ice at West Chester, with a drag race as well for those who are interested.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It snowed!

But everything was rideable.

Thanks to Carlos!

Frigid Bits-g0054983s.jpgFrigid Bits-g0054993s.jpgFrigid Bits-g0044970s.jpgFrigid Bits-g0054980s.jpgFrigid Bits-g0105111s.jpgFrigid Bits-g0105112s.jpgFrigid Bits-g0155161s.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks again Carlos it was a blast!
    Great photos James.
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike