rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Fridgid MatSu Bits

This Saturday the Anchorage Sno Bros will journey north to the Palmer area to ride with our fellow Matsu Sno Bros.
    The ride will occur at 3 PM, this is a ride at your own pace gig, also please bring your helmet.
    The directions to the meeting place will be posted by Mark sometime this evening.

Please use this forum for carpool needs.

FatBike Fiend

Frigid Moose Drewl

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    This Saturday the Anchorage Sno Bros will journey north to the Palmer area to ride with our fellow Matsu Sno Bros.
    The ride will occur at 3 PM, this is a ride at your own pace gig, also please bring your helmet.
    The directions to the meeting place will be posted by Mark sometime this evening.

Please use this forum for carpool needs.
    Thanks, Carlos. I rode the course today and it's right around 16 miles. Is that long enough? It's kind of a figure 8. The first part of the "8" is an easy 3.5 miles suitable for beginners and the hard corps can continue on for the other 12.5 mile loop. Both of them starts and ends at the trailhead at the end of Wendt Rd. The longer section has lots of roller coaster ups and downs, swoopy turns, whoop de doos, a good climb up on the side of Arkose Ridge followed by a fun downhill section and a wide open swamp section towards the end. I think you Anchorage folks will find the course well worth the drive so come on out. It's all in the Matanuska Moose Range between Palmer Fishhook Rd. and Buffalo Mine Rd.

Trail conditions now are super hard packed and fast, suitable for summer MTB wheels, SnowCats, or Fat Bikes. Hell, you could probably ride it on a road bike now. 'course that could change by Saturday. Will round up some local valley riders and possible a couple of the Ultra Sport racers if they're feeling up to it.

Directions:

Take Glenn Highway 3 miles past Palmer.
    L. On Palmer Fishhoook Rd.
    Right on Sun Valley Dr. 1/4 mile before Turner's store.
    Right on Wendt Rd, go to parking lot/trailhead at end of road.

Race Start: 3:00 pm Saturday. get there about 20 minutes early if you can.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

FatBike Fiend

Course Map

Comrade Gierymski from VMBaH put together a killer map with all the trails in the area. Both Beginners and Advanced will start at the same time and do the beginner course and the advanced people will continue on around the longer course. Thanks for the map, Chris.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Mr.Secret
    Watch the SOFT SHOULDERS on Wendt Rd. if you park there, as I found out ( but it was Brijs' fault )

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Thanks Mark

The map will come in handy for all of us big city folks !
    For all the existing and future Frigid Bit riders, the event is still on and everyone is welcome, I did hear the famous Frigid Bits Burn Barrel and soon to be a south central Alaska mt. bike shrine and possible world class tourist trap may be available for your viewing pleasure.

FatBike Fiend

Course is marked

We went out yesterday and marked the course with pink flagging. The trail is still in good shape but there are a few very short drifted areas that will have to be negotiated (we'll call 'em sand traps). It's still a bit breezy out here but it appears top be dying down. We routed the upwind portions of the course mostly through the woods for wind protection but the downwind sections are full on exposed for maximum speed. I pegged the fun meter the other day riding downwind across the swamp with a 50 MPH or higher tailwind with clouds of snow obscuring the trail around me. Must of hit a least 30 MPH, yeehaw.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Great day, great ride!

Great day. Thanks to those who organized the ride. Trail was nice, sun was out, wind was calm- a great afternoon in the Valey! The burn barrel is the perfect end to a great day. Thanks! jill