i drink shower water

Freeride and Downhillers??!?!?!

Just curious how many FR/DH bikers there are in Ak. I always see a lot of XC and Road Bikers, but i havent been in Ak for a while so i dont know. Also i was curious if any knows of any good shore type places outside of eagle river. I know where those are. I am down to help rebuild, build, and dig, im not a trail leech. Or if anyone knows of a good place to start a build i am down with that as well. I live inthe Eagleriver Anchorage area but am willing to dig out in the valley and girdwood as well. dont tell BLM!
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    I live inthe Eagleriver Anchorage area but am willing to dig out in the valley and girdwood as well. dont tell BLM!
    I really hope you're kidding, because if I ever see any unauthorized mutilation of land by people whose idea of mountain biking is riding on lumber, I'll not only call BLM, I'll grab a ranger by the arm and lead him to the site.

And even if you are kidding, it's not funny. That kind of crap is hurting the rest of us. If you're too lazy to get the proper permits, build your ugly contraptions on private land.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    you want to build, i say check with MOA first. sometimes they will let you do for FREE for non-profit groups/clubs...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:55 PM.
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's ideas like your's that's going to screw up all the hardwork that other local riders along with STA have put in, in building our trailsystem and providing a voice to the local government. Local riders could lose what little we already have. Just my .02.

Mike

maybe someday...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_404
    please forgive me for my ignorance... it's just a shame that we don't have the type of riding trails that b.c., nj, ny, etc have... why??? because of the red tape here? the people that are "controlling" the trails? ak is too big for anyone to control... there's 260 thousand, maybe more people here in anchorage alone... why don't we have those type of trails??? just because someone wants to go and build something out of the NOR for MOST people here is WRONG??? yes, it might be illegally. what is STA? i've never heard of them? i've lived here since 1971... what trail system are you talking about? if the city would aloud the stunts to be built, i'm down. i'd be there... do you think that the north shore was first built legally??? do you really think that most stunts are built legally??? it's like that movie, you build, they will come... LOL!!! they can build all these in door ice ranks... why can't they build an in door mtb park like ray's??? or some shore stunts in the summer time? are you a tourist? do you really think the local government gives a crap about you or me??? they care so much about us, thats why they keep trying to get there hands on the pfd, and why they are cutting MORE funds for the crappy schools up here... if you had a choice to go to mt. alyeska or colorado for a vacation, and you didn't live here... where would you go??? 99.9% of the people would pick colorado... providing a voice to who??? i've NEVER hear of any meetings about mtb parks or trails etc... hold on, i lied, i did hear sometime about black bear. i would appreciate it if someone got the okay to build shore type stunts. like hilltop. that place would make an EXCELLENT mtb. park... it's close to town, and you can even ride the city bus there... they could rent bikes in the summer and give tours... it's beautiful up there in the summer (and winter)... the trails the greenery, etc... it's like hillside. the state wants more money for land taxes to send police up there to patroll... does this sound like a state/government that cares about it's people???
    thats my .02 LOL!!!
    Dude, you are soooooo gnarly, you should change your handle to HC for hard core. You are definatly entitled to you own opinions, but please, proof your post before you submit it so the rest of us can understand what it is that you are trying to say.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

sorry... LOL!!!

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_404
    i've lived here since 1971
    Have you attended any schools during that time?

By the way, I'll mail you 50 bucks if you'll stop including "LOL!!!" in every freaking post.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

i drink shower water
    I went into this big long rant about grammar and the illegal aspect of Freeriding, however I do not want to fuel anymore arguements. SO EFF IT! I just want to say that I would never destroy or add to an already existing trail. That is why I said DIG. I know for Tim being a Diaskeuast and being the grammar police it is hard to not call attention to people's mistakes. However calling some one out on their education is weak and desperate. I do not know about Brian_404 but some people have issues prohibiting education. As a student teacher i have seen smart kids fail classes because when they leave the school they cannot go home and do homework. They have to go work until midnight to help feed their family and keep the lights on. So maybe that is not his excuse but you never know.

[EDIT] By the way this is one of my favorite quotes.

"Arguments over grammar and style are often as fierce as those over IBM versus Mac, and as fruitless as Coke versus Pepsi and boxers versus briefs."
    - Jack Lynch
    Last edited by hab1b; 02-04-2007 at 09:23 PM.

can't we all just get along???
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:57 PM.

here's a really good article on trail building. it's a pdf file and about half way down, it's called:
    The WHIMPS Guide to Trailbuilding
    http://whatcomindy.com/archives/issue105.pdf
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:58 PM.

i drink shower water
    its cool brian we can find somewhere off trail to dig and build.

right on man. we all want to enjoy the outdoors too. just some of use do it differently... thats the problem with trying to be different...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:58 PM.

like i said above, lets do this right... you want to build, i say check with MOA/State of AK first. sometimes they will let you do for FREE for non-profit groups/clubs in remote area's... it's wroth a shoot...
    Last edited by brian_404; 02-05-2007 at 08:05 PM.

i drink shower water
    sounds good to me. ill gather some information before i get home and hopefully we can start once its all dry.

What Penguin???

Chiming in...

If you want to ride downhill and build stunts, there is an opportunity with the Municipality of Anchorage at Hilltop. The Community has provided input about summer uses of this ski area. One of those uses includes mt. biking on the slopes. The Muni once asked STA to work with them and build a freeride-type park, but since STA is "Singletrack Advocates," freeriding, for the time being that is, isn't highest on our list of priorities. If you want stunts and jumps, contact Parks & Rec and make a proposal with the funds that you will raise and your army of volunteers to make it happen. The door is open.

By the way, if you want more information on Singletrack Advocates, go to www.singletrackadvocates.org. It's got information on what our goals are--sorry it hasn't been updated in quite some time...
    Meanwhile, back at the hive....

anyways... this is a pic from up there last summer. i found this funn box in the corner of the woods...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:59 PM.