mtbr member
    Oct 2006

A few Pugsley Q's

Hi all,

I've got a few pugsley Q's for pugsley owners. Any help is appreciated.

1) I know I need an E-type derailleur. What I dont know is top pull or bottom pull, and top swing or bottom swing. (and if anyone would like to mention the differences between TP, BP, TS, BS, please do).

2) Are SnoCats the name of the rims made by Wildfire or a type of tire?

3) I'd like to get some Big Apples for road - I can use them with SnoCats right? Is it better to have two wheelsets (1 Large Marge wheelset, 1 Snocat)? or will Big Apples fit on Large Marges?

4) Can Endomorphs fit on the SnoCat rims?

5) How thin a tire can you get on your SnoCats?

6) Is it necessary to have offset rims on the front (or only the rear)?

7) Is it best to just get offset rims for both front and rear? (If not, what do you gain by having non-offset rims on the front)?

8) I'm leaning towards Avid BB7 disc brakes (both rears of course) - any problems with these? Any issues with switching the wheels out with these brakes? (never had discs before). Should I instead get hydraulic brakes to avoid problems with dust and debris that I've read can cause issues with mech discs? (this bike will be used in both snow and sand).

Thanks for any and all help.

Caveman
    woah...
    1. Top pull for sure, I dont know about the rest.

2. Snowcats are / were made by Simon up in Fairbanks
    http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/rims.htm
    Wildfire dosent make rims, but sweet frames and other goodies.

3. Dont you have another bike to ride on the road? I think everyone else here would agree having one pair of strange offset wheels is enough. Having a pair of large marges and snowcats, both offset laced is a waste of money.

4. Yes (anyone??? ) I think they will.

5 ?

6 If you dont offset the front, then the tire will not be centered in the fork. There are photos out there of people experimenting by putting a 29er wheel up front. looks freaky.

8. the avids are bomb proof for winter riding, some people have luck with hydro's but good luck.

Beware of Doggerel
    I can't answer all these but here's my input:

1) Don't Know

2) Snowcats are rims

3) Large Marge and snowcats serve the same function, just pick one and go with it

4) Sure

5) Why? My snowcats are 44mm wide so I guess any tire wider than 44mm would work

6) Yes

7) I think so, buy I'm not a wheelbuilder

8) I've had good luck with hydros but lots more folks use the avid cable brakes so they are a sure thing.

Ask away if you have more questions this is the place.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by guruguhan
    1) I know I need an E-type derailleur. What I dont know is top pull or bottom pull, and top swing or bottom swing. (and if anyone would like to mention the differences between TP, BP, TS, BS, please do).
    You need a top pull E-type. Top pull means cable routing on your bike runs along the top tube and pulls on the drlr arm from above. Bottom pull means cable routing usually runs along the bottom of the downtube, under the bottom bracket shell and pulls on the drlr arm from below. Cable pulls from the top or bottom, depending on frame.

There are a couple of types of drlr swings, referenced to the clamping band. If the cage swings outward below the seat tube clamp it's a bottom swing. There's also a lower mounted clamp with the cage swinging above it, top swing.

2) Are SnoCats the name of the rims made by Wildfire or a type of tire?
    Neither, SnoCats are rims, but like mentioned, made by Simon.

3) I'd like to get some Big Apples for road - I can use them with SnoCats right? Is it better to have two wheelsets (1 Large Marge wheelset, 1 Snocat)? or will Big Apples fit on Large Marges?
    Big Apples are great for pavement cruising but mounting them on SnoCats isn't optimal. Get a 29er second bike, mount your Big Apples and let 'er rip. They can be mounted on SnoCats though, I was going to experiment with a set mounted up just so and try them on a beach, but have since built a FatBike, so it makes no sense to even try. Here's a pic. They may fit on an Large Marge, but they'd sure wind up low profile, like the latest fashion for street cruisin' SUV's. Seems pointless.

4) Can Endomorphs fit on the SnoCat rims?
    They fit, but you'll sacrifice some width and the shape becomes more crowned. You'll lose about 10mm of overall width mounted to a SnoCat, and the profile is less flat. It's probably a fine compromise of less weight for less flotation if you're a smaller, lighter rider. But if ultimate float is the overriding concern, go for the max, Large Marges all the way! If you're curious, here's a pic of one mounted up.

5) How thin a tire can you get on your SnoCats?
    I'm not sure what the lower limit is, but a couple of years ago I bought a set of the lighter Nokian snow tires, the Hakkas. On a regular rim they are pretty narrow, no more than a true 1.9. I mounted them up on some SnoCats to spread the width a bit. Mo betta! I wouldn't go much smaller or you'll lose any rim protection that comes with volume. SnoCats are single wall and about the most fragile out there, so protect them if possible.

6) Is it necessary to have offset rims on the front (or only the rear)?
    Offset on both. The front fork is also 135 wide, and the wheelset is meant to be interchangeable front to back in case of mechanicals.

7) Is it best to just get offset rims for both front and rear? (If not, what do you gain by having non-offset rims on the front)?
    Yes, not just best but required with the Pugsley fork. If your front isn't offset your wheels won't roll in the same track. You can get around this by using a more standard configured fork, like a WildFire or Vicious, and build a standard, non-offset, front wheel.

8) I'm leaning towards Avid BB7 disc brakes (both rears of course) - any problems with these? Any issues with switching the wheels out with these brakes? (never had discs before). Should I instead get hydraulic brakes to avoid problems with dust and debris that I've read can cause issues with mech discs? (this bike will be used in both snow and sand).
    BB7s are great! Some prefer hydros, and run them with success also. They both work well, so pick your poison, whichever type you personally prefer. You may have some difficulty removing a rear wheel with the disc brake caliper/horizontal dropout combination, but that may also be a rare occurrence. I've never had a problem with dust or debris with my mechanicals, that's one of the beauties of disc brakes -- all weather performance, but then again I can't remember the last time I crossed a desert!

Rando
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni

Brakes.

It should be mentioned that if you go with the Pugs fork you will need two rear calipers, as the fork has the same mount spacing as the rear.
    Winters on it's way, so build that mofo and don't take any guff from your friends for riding a fatty
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Brake Rotors

I use Hayes mechanical brakes and they work fine however the BB7s have a strong following with winter riders. For the Pugs rear brake I suggest using the 203mm disc offered as the large diameter seems to ease insertion/removal with the horizonal rear dropout verses using smaller rotors. Many riders are not using a front brake regardless of the fork used. One point not mentioned about Snocats is that they can be difficult to obtain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks a lot guys! Sorry for the late reply

I wanted to ask another follow-up if possible - what do you all prefer in the way of saddles? Brooks? Sprung/Super-Sprung/Unsprung?

Since this whole bike will be a work in progress, I'm not too concerned with $, since I'll just save up an extra while if need be before getting a saddle.

Riding will be in sand and snow - and I'd like to do some expedition touring. Would a Brooks triple sprung saddle be overkill? I like to be comfortable and won't be using a suspension seatpost.

Again, thanks for the help

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni

Wtb

I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of the WTB saddles. I've got a "Speed V" and a "Laser V" and both of them are inexpensive and comfy. The large volume tires make it a little easier on the bum as well.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    I had Mark Gronewald at Wildfire Designs Bicycles build me a custom offset 29er SnoCat wheelset for my Pugsley for use on the road and they work great with 2.35 29er Big Apples.

With 26x4.0's.