on the Denali Highway
    Mar 2006

FatBike's inaugural Bikjoring!

Well, the last of the weekend's guests having departed, and no one scheduled in until Monday night (unlike winter bikers, these folks are seriously demented: ice divers! ), and the record-breaking cold of November being past, Vox Clamantis and I took Fatty on its inaugural bikjör.

Good stuff! FatBike and Voxy both did extremely well, and I did okay, too. Never has that initial 1.5-mile up-ramp of the Denali Highway been so easy in any non-motorized fashion.

Sorry I haven't any pix, but there was no way I could manage a camera. Besides, the light was wretched.

Although I do have a "Springer" (device for marrying dog & bicycle), I opted for affixing Voxy to me via my normal skijör fashion - with her harness's line leading to a carabiner attached to my old climbing harness. I recommend this: the dog is attached to the rider, and not the bike. Leads to less squirreliness, something a winter biker has enough of already.

Mark can detail the history of my FatBike, if he cares. BTW, Mark - that heading down that ramp reinforces my belief that you and I really do need to talk about a front brake, and not just for the summertime.....

Also, that saddle isn't doing the trick with my neuralgia. Any suggestions/options? Anyone?
    From the Heart of the Alaska Range - Denali Highway Cabins

No, that's not phonetic
    Is there a quick release for when a tasty-morsel hare runs across the trail and into the alders?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

on the Denali Highway
    Mar 2006
    What happened to my 48-hr-old reply to Tscheezy?
    May wait a while yet to see if it pops back up....
    From the Heart of the Alaska Range - Denali Highway Cabins

FatBike Fiend

Bikejouring

Hey Audie,

Glad you are getting some riding in. I have had good luck hooking the lead line up to the stem. It seems to self steer behind the dog well that way, even when you are hooked to an Irish Setter. I just tie it on with a quick release knot for when things get ugly which has been known to happen.

Shoot me an email about the brake and saddle. These can be acccomodated.

Hey, I heard that the Lake Louise groomed trails now extend 80 miles all the way to the Denali highway. One of our VMBaH board members has been working with that group and they say that bikes are welcome. Sounds like a great ride. I think the trail comes out somewhere near the the McClaren River.

Talk to you soon.
    Wildfire
    FatBikes since 1999.

old format's better
    Jan 2004

Quick Release Knot???? BWAAAA.............

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire

I just tie it on with a quick release knot for when things get ugly which has been known to happen.

Reminds me of the time I got pulled with a rope attached to the front fork of my motorsickle for 90 miles. i had what i THOUGHT was a quick release knot that i finally had to cut.

I too prefer the dog attached to me rather than the bicycle.

Ken
    No matter where you go, there you are.