mtbr member

Fatbike in Kodiak?

so it looks like I've got orders to Kodiak and while I plan to upgrade my Santa Cruz Superlight, I'm wondering about a Pugsley Black Ops for Kodiak?

I guess my question is would I use the Pugsley just as much as the Santa Cruz or maybe even more? I was in Kodiak about 10 years ago but wasn't into cycling then...

Thanks,
    Chris
    Like is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you like to ride on the beach than I'd say pull the trigger but not much snow here usually. Some years it does not snow at all. Right now we have snow but I'm still riding my Enduro.

No, that's not phonetic
    Fatbiking opportunities here are rare. You can ride the Burton Ranch beach from Narrow Cape to the Sacramento river on a minus tide, which is super cool. And sometimes we get epic crust and you can cruise anywhere. But for the most part, there is no real need for a fatbike.

Some notable exceptions filmed here on The Rock:

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    thanks TSCheezy, I was hoping you'd chime in... so you can ride pretty much year round on the trails on a normal bike? As I said I have a SC Superlight XC bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simpterfex View Post
    If you like to ride on the beach than I'd say pull the trigger but not much snow here usually. Some years it does not snow at all. Right now we have snow but I'm still riding my Enduro.
    thanks!

No, that's not phonetic
    Any 4-6" full suspension is perfect for Kodiak. You can run regular rubber in the summer, but you will want a really nice set of studded tires in the winter. You will see way more ice than snow. Nokian Freddies Revenz 2.3 are the hands-down best studded tires made. Even with some crusty snow on the ground in the open areas, the forests often have little or no snow to speak of. Ice is generally a different matter and you should be ready for that if you want to extend your riding season.

If you want a fatbike on special occasions, you can borrow ours. We have a size large and a size small, reasonably pimped out.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy View Post
    Any 4-6" full suspension is perfect for Kodiak. You can run regular rubber in the summer, but you will want a really nice set of studded tires in the winter. You will see way more ice than snow. Nokian Freddies Revenz 2.3 are the hands-down best studded tires made. Even with some crusty snow on the ground in the open areas, the forests often have little or no snow to speak of. Ice is generally a different matter and you should be ready for that if you want to extend your riding season.

If you want a fatbike on special occasions, you can borrow ours. We have a size large and a size small, reasonably pimped out.

awesome, sounds good! Like I said, I was there about 10 yrs ago but wasn't into riding... I remember snow and ice in the neighborhoods, but I'm sure the forests are different...

I was totally thinking studs for the bikes... I have a Salsa Vaya I was going to get some studs for as well I think...

thanks again,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Good to see you're coming to Kodiak!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxbrittonxx View Post
    Good to see you're coming to Kodiak!
    thanks, should be up there for prime riding season... probably get on-island toward the end of July...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Went for a ride yesterday around the college. It was snowy and fun. Going again tonight.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    was thinking of bringing the fatbike with me to ADQ next for a work trip. How bad are Era's bike shipping rates?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Call it a wheel chair and it's free.