Fatback

FATBACK ti snowbike photos and info

Here are more pics of the Fatback. It has mondo clearance, vertical droputs, 100mm width fork, (other fork options and widths available,) 100mm bb so you have all possible gears. Plenty of standover in all sizes, and best of all it's ti. It's the perfect material for a snowbike-light (3.3 for a 16, 3.5 for an 18, and 3.65 on a 20) and rust free.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

I'm from Utah
    It's so beautiful ...

And so practical. Great bike.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I'm afraid if I keep looking at these pics of snowbikes that I'm going to buy one. I must insist eveyone quit posting pictures of them. Especially titanium ones. Thank you for your cooperation.

P.S. If I buy one and my wife divorces me who's pad can I crash at?

Fatback

flask half full?

You can always crash here. Just tell her to remember that if she puts you in the doghouse, she might find you in the cathouse. We take visa, mastercard...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    I'm afraid if I keep looking at these pics of snowbikes that I'm going to buy one. I must insist eveyone quit posting pictures of them. Especially titanium ones. Thank you for your cooperation.

P.S. If I buy one and my wife divorces me who's pad can I crash at?
    Do what I do when I want bikes or bike stuff. About a month ahead of time I either buy her,or incourage her to buy something I know she wants thats pricey ! Whenever I do this she kinda feels obligated to let me get the toys I want . Works much of the time ! Got my pugs and many upgrades in this fashion.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thirstywork
    You can always crash here. Just tell her to remember that if she puts you in the doghouse, she might find you in the cathouse. We take visa, mastercard...
    You are a bad man! Probably not a far walk to the cathouse if you are on Spenard...

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1962
    Do what I do when I want bikes or bike stuff. About a month ahead of time I either buy her,or incourage her to buy something I know she wants thats pricey ! Whenever I do this she kinda feels obligated to let me get the toys I want . Works much of the time ! Got my pugs and many upgrades in this fashion.
    Hmm...we do have a 10 anniversary coming up...

Fatback

16" Fatback 25 lbs.

I was working on the 16" bike today and it scales out at 25.79 with pedals. With a few more reasonable changes, it could be sub 25.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

Fork q's

How much room is there with the WB fork?
    25 lbs? Wow. The guys at the LBS, where I have been talking up the snowbike movement,
    are road wheenies and have been making fun of the "Porker" I am planning

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    No area code there. I'd like to call and talk about specifics but the phone # is incomplete. Post it here or send me a PM.

Thx!
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni

Fatback....

What a cool name for a snow bike, although why didn't you call it Fatbike it's not like that name has been used for a snow bike by a guy out in the valley. You created a ridiculously cool bike why couldn't you give it an original name.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivvay
    No area code there. I'd like to call and talk about specifics but the phone # is incomplete. Post it here or send me a PM.

Thx!
    907 is Anchorage area code.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    So is this Speedway Cycles-designed or what? I've been way out of the loop.

Fatback

designed in Spenard

Designed right here in Spenard over many IPA's by myself and Pete.

mtbr member

did you say IPA???

Snowing at my house, but I'll be dropping through the clouds this afternoon - see ya at the shop - I'll ride my Turner, as my Pugs is feeling a bit shy around the "the new kid on the block".

T
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

go big or go home

Hmmm..

Where are they made? Does a frame designed over beer have a warranty?

Get off yer arse and on yere bike!

Fatback

warranty

Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    Where are they made? Does a frame designed over beer have a warranty?
    Designed over beer, not MADE over beer. All great bikes are designed over beer. It has a three year warranty.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Glad it is titanium...wouldn't want it rusting from all our drool.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

The name

Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    What a cool name for a snow bike, although why didn't you call it Fatbike it's not like that name has been used for a snow bike by a guy out in the valley. You created a ridiculously cool bike why couldn't you give it an original name.
    It's a cool name.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fatback

At least it's not ChunderThing or WonderBling
    http://www.viciouscycles.com/frames-thunderwing.php3

go big or go home
    Ok, but where are they made?

Get off yer arse and on yere bike!

No, that's not phonetic
    Made in Russia. As a former colony, I think it's cool to support the Motherland.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    Ok, but where are they made?
    China

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmundGregoryHinezworth
    China
    I've owned a number of custom American made frames, all of which I had to wait 5 months to a year for and they always turned out with some severe flaw in the design or execution. 3 out of 6 of those frames broke in the first year. For me the the wait, money, and inconsistency are not worth the trouble.

The Fatback is handmade..... maybe by some dude in China or Russia, maybe a couple of guys, but the end result has been several nice looking, straight and consistently produced frames that build up nice and easy with no grinding or tweaking.

The 165 rear hub and 100mm bb shell allow for 3 rings up front and 9 in the back with plenty of chain clearance with the tire when running a Large Marge. The frame will easily clear a 80mm rim and their numbers say there is room for a 100mm rim with and Endomorph tire, though we haven't got our hands on any yet to test that for sure.
    Last edited by pbasinger; 10-20-2007 at 12:04 PM.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    They are obviously made in Heaven by angels...just look at them.

Wood chips are stupid

the man

Pete was made in heaven by angels, just look at him.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    If you could only pick one to ride which would it be, Leonard?

A. The Fatback
    B. Pete

Wood chips are stupid

something new

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    If you could only pick one to ride which would it be, Leonard?

A. The Fatback
    B. Pete
    It would have to be the Fat Back. Although I have found Pete very attractive since the ADN story, he is very high maintance and rides too stiff for me. And he rusts.

akdeluxe

JT

Caveman
    make it stop, make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    It would have to be the Fat Back. Although I have found Pete very attractive since the ADN story, he is very high maintance and rides too stiff for me. And he rusts.

akdeluxe
    Yeah, me too. Maybe if he shaved his legs and wore some lycra I would change my mind.

Mr.Secret
    Other than 165mm rear dropout spacing I'm not seeing where this is a new design. The 100mm BB shell, E type F. derailleur tower, suspension corrected 100mm fork were first used by Vicious Cycles then "borrowed" by Surley for the Pugsley. So other than the frame tube material, sorry, ain't much "new design" in it that I can see. Pretty though.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

mtbr member
    More clearance, lighter, cheaper, different geometry and availability are pretty big distinctions in my book.
    To be fair, we did borrow that whole diamond frame thing from John Starley, but then so did those other guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    Other than 165mm rear dropout spacing I'm not seeing where this is a new design. The 100mm BB shell, E type F. derailleur tower, suspension corrected 100mm fork were first used by Vicious Cycles then "borrowed" by Surley for the Pugsley. So other than the frame tube material, sorry, ain't much "new design" in it that I can see. Pretty though.
    Yeah - no shocks OR pegs. Not very original at all.

mtbr member
    There was a snow bike at the 2002 Ultrasport with a 100mm bb shell. This was a year before the first Thunderwing, so can we say that Vicious "borrowed" the 100mm bb shell from this person? Again though, this wasn't new, the 100mm bb shell, e-style der setup already existed in the freeride/ dh world before ending up on a snow bike. Really, it's hard to come up with anything completely original and why would one bother if certain things make sense and we're all working with the same industry standards. So what does constitute a new design?

Other than 165mm rear dropout spacing I'm not seeing where this is a new design. The 100mm BB shell, E type F. derailleur tower, suspension corrected 100mm fork were first used by Vicious Cycles then "borrowed" by Surley for the Pugsley.
    Last edited by pbasinger; 10-24-2007 at 01:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Actually I might be wrong about that. Maybe it was 2003, but it was developed independently of the Vicious.

Caveman
    good point... in that case every hardtail with a 68mm bb, top cable routing and vertical dropouts is the same design... why bother buying one from the other?
    Last edited by Bearbait; 10-24-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Mr.Secret
    My old Doug Bradbury built ' 91/ ' 92 Manitou's have 100mm BB's with 145mm assym. rear ends. Just say'n this stuff has been around and was kind'a noticing how much the "new design" Fatback looks very much like sno-bikes that have been around for a while, that's all..

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005

... and if we just ... Sub 25lb. FatBack!

I was working on the 16" bike today and it scales out at 25.79 with pedals. With a few more reasonable changes, it could be sub 25.
    Do like Eddie B. did back in the day...fill those balloons w/ helium!!!

Kevin

Wood chips are stupid

The right way

If I were to design a snow bike...or any bike for that matter, I would copy what works. It is a lot easier and you will sell more.

akdeluxe

JT

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    If I were to design a snow bike...or any bike for that matter, I would copy what works.
    That's just stupid. People should always design bikes with all sorts of radical features that have never been tried before, because that always works well and looks cool. You've seen me riding my full-suspension Cannondale, right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Whats the Disc Brake? meaning make and model??? mine are starting to diminish (worn completly out in one season?!?!?!?!) Packed snow trails are a bit addictive

Fatback

Nothing new here

My old Doug Bradbury built ' 91/ ' 92 Manitou's have 100mm BB's with 145mm assym. rear ends. Just say'n this stuff has been around and was kind'a noticing how much the "new design" Fatback looks very much like sno-bikes that have been around for a while, that's all..

Nobody here is claiming a ground-up, revolutionary bike. It is an evolutionary bike. There were areas that I thought needed improvements, and I made them. With Pete's input, we believe we have created a more desireable product. If Surly was to make a ti Pugs, it would be a big deal to most people. I'm considering building a horribly flexible elastomer suspension fork with 1/2" of travel and a removable brake arch, but I suppose we'll be hearing how Doug Bradbury beat me to that one too...Nothing new here, but it's down to 23.94lbs and dropping. The disc is a Hope Mono Mini Pro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What's the component list to get there? The frame is quite light, yet still maybe 1 lb less than the FatBike's claimed weight, so what other nifty bits are on it?
    Thanks!

Nothing new here, but it's down to 23.94lbs and dropping. The disc is a Hope Mono Mini Pro.

Mr.Secret
    I'm considering building a horribly flexible elastomer suspension fork with 1/2" of travel and a removable brake arch,
    Maybe you could get Jurgen Beneke, Julie Furtado, Rishi Grewal et al to make a comeback amongst others who won lots "o" races ( World Cup DH, Norba, Grundig events, Championships) on your new suspension.
    They rode those things to lots of wins. But then they'd probably done OK on Huffy's too.

Caveman
    ahhh the Manitou 1 - I lost count of how many elastomers on that thing I blew out in high school.

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    ahhh the Manitou 1 - I lost count of how many elastomers on that thing I blew out in high school.
    I've still got a few rebuild kits but you can't have 'em all ' cause I should keep a couple around for myself. You've probably got that fork in a shadow box, shrine, on your wall anyhow.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Greg...if you can get it Sub 20 pounds I'll buy one. Hehehe!

Caveman
    I've still got a few rebuild kits but you can't have 'em all ' cause I should keep a couple around for myself. You've probably got that fork in a shadow box, shrine, on your wall anyhow.
    yeah, I sold it along with an old mongoose amp back in the day. Really wish I still had it actually - its such a piece of old school history.

gumbies need lovin' too
    quick question.....could this or any other snow bike be used as a 29er in the summer? i don't know for sure, but it seems that the diameter of the endos is close to 29"...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yes they can...and the Fatback is the best of the snow bikes for this because you don't have to build a funky offset rear wheel since the chainstays are symetrical.
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

mtbr member
    Yep
    Diameter is about the same. The non offset design of the Fatback allows you to build up a strong 29er wheel to any rim you want. People have built up 29er wheels for the Pugs and frames using similar offset designs, but it is less than ideal, because your wheel has reverse dish, you have to use an osb rim and it is not nearly offset enough. The wheel tension is also funky.
    Lots of compromises.

This place needs an enema
    Rick-

Actually they weren't first used by Vicious. Ask Carl where he came up with all of those neat ideas on how to get all of the snowbike clearance 'issues' sorted out. Then ask him not to call me at 6am on a Saturday anymore. Lastly, tell him I'm still waiting to be compensated for helping him to solve all of those conundrums in one 20 minute conversation.

I'd tell him myself, but strangely enough he doesn't return my calls anymore. Guess he got what he wanted at a price he could afford...

MC

Members who have read this thread: 1