@adelorenzo

Fat wheel advice for a Karate Monkey

Hey All,

I'd love to get some expert Alaskan advice. I'm riding over here in Whitehorse, Yukon. My main bike is a Karate Monkey with 29x2.1 Ignitors. Riding it this winter, it is great on well-packed trails but anywhere else I bog down pretty quick. The fact that the 29er rims are pretty skinny (Velocity Dyads) doesn't help.

I'm saving my pennies for a Wildfire fatbike next year, but this year I was thinking I might be able to afford to buy the wheels and run them on my current rig.

This thread shows that a Surly 1x1 can handle Large Marges with Gazzalodis. I would guess that the Karate Monkey would have the same clearance. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm also wondering if I will be able to continue to run V-brakes, as I'm not interested in going to disc brakes on this bike.

My only other concern is that I'm 6'6" / 250 lbs. Will any tires be enough for me to ride on loose snow, or am I just too freaking heavy?

Strangely enough, we don't seem to see any true fat bikes over here, although I do know lots of people who are winter riders.

Regards,
    Anthony

Wood chips are stupid

Karate chop!

I don't think a Lg Marg will fit in the KM. Your best bet will probaly be 29" Snocats with a WTB Exi Wolf or something like that.The Km has a ton of rear wheel clearance for regular size wheels and tires. 250lbs will make a diff in really soft snow. But really, unless you have the 4" wide set up, the loose stuff can slow you to a stand still no matter what your weight. You can run some V-brakes with Snocat rims. I don't remember which ones, I'm sure someone else will chime in. I do know one of the best winter riders up here runs cants on her snow bike. If you beg nicely, I'll be willing to bet a couple of the shops here in Anchorage would be more than happy to sell/send you a set of 29" Snocats. What is it about a little town like Whitehorse that enables it to turn out so many good hockey players? Have fun!

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    What is it about a little town like Whitehorse that enables it to turn out so many good hockey players?
    It's prolly The Brass Rail. I saw something in a urinal there that looked like a bitten off chunk of someone's tongue.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

@adelorenzo
    Your best bet will probaly be 29" Snocats with a WTB Exi Wolf or something like that.The Km has a ton of rear wheel clearance for regular size wheels and tires.
    Wow, I had no idea 29" Snowcat rims were available. I have an XL frame and, while I haven't measured, my Ignitors seem to have tons of room between the stays. No front derailleur (1x9), so that isn't an issue. I may have to go to cantis in the rear instead of V-brakes, as with my current setup the wire barely clears the tire.

No really good winter tires, but an Exiwolf or that new Panaracer Rampage on that fat rim would definitely be a step up from what I'm riding now. It sounds like my best bet until I can afford a real snowbike.

What is it about a little town like Whitehorse that enables it to turn out so many good hockey players? Have fun!
    I could ask the same thing about Alaskans and basketball. I'm a varsity coach and it always amazes me how good the players are over there, especially from some of the small communities.

Regards,
    Anthony

mtbr member
    The KM clearance isnít quite like the 1x1. Might be worth checking on the 29er forum to see what tires will fit on there. There is the Nevengal and some other fatty, knobby tires which could be pretty good on the snow, but the new WTB 2.55 has the best volume from what Iíve heard, but the tread is pretty low.
    29er snowcats have not been easy to get the last few years. If you want a rim about the same weight, slightly narrower and much better quality these are a good alternative
    http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=805

Caveman
    I ran exi's with 29" snowcats on my monkey, it was great. You'd have no problem putting a fatter tire like the 2.55 up front, but you might be doing some knob cutting if you try on the rear, but I think it would take it.

yes v-brakes work fine with them as long as you dont ice up the rims, the simple cheap deore ones, or non-parallel push avids.

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    but the new WTB 2.55 has the best volume from what Iíve heard, but the tread is pretty low.
    I'll second the Weirwolf LT 2.55's. The volume is noticeably larger than the Exi's and the tread is a bit "lower", but they should work really well on a wide rim; the tread is designed to be a bit flat and the wider snocat rims should accentuate that. It should fit on the back easily too as the overall size (outside the knobs) isn't much larger than the Exis. The differnce in size is in the casing, not the tread.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Wood chips are stupid

29er Wolfs?

When did Weirwolfs become available for 29ers?

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

In FTF We Trust
    When did Weirwolfs become available for 29ers?

akdeluxe
    Just the low tread version's available; they released them about 3 weeks ago or so and they disappeared from Quality in about half a day.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

@adelorenzo

Looking for 29er snowcats

Well, I got a nice deal on a pair of shoes at Pricepoint ($25) and added one Rampage and one Exiwolf to the order. I figure I'll try one of each and see how it goes, since I know for sure that the exi will fit the back. I don't want to spend all winter waiting to see if I can find a Weirwolf 2.55.

Anyone know if All-Weather Sports in Fairbanks is still going? I e-mailed earlier this week about getting some wheels built and haven't heard back.

Any other suggestions on where I could find a set of 29er snowcats? Anyone looking to sell a set? I'll be over in Juneau December 26-31. I don't suppose there is a shop there that stocks them?

If not, maybe I'll have to go the old-school route of getting a couple of rims welded together.

Regards,
    Anthony

GIT-R-DONE!
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    if I can find a Weirwolf 2.55.
    Anthony I sent you a pm. I might be able to help you!
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

In FTF We Trust
    I don't want to spend all winter waiting to see if I can find a Weirwolf 2.55.

I ordered a pair of them last week from the path bike shop in CA. Free shipping on orders over $75 (not sure about shipping to Alaska though). They seem to have everything you'd ever wish for in stock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

All Weather Sports

[.

Anyone know if All-Weather Sports in Fairbanks is still going? I e-mailed earlier this week about getting some wheels built and haven't heard back.

Anthony All Weather Sports went out of business a few years ago. Simon now has a shop out behind Beaver Sports, (907) 479-2494. Ask for the bike shop and they should be able to help. t

]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

29er snowcats

i've been dealing with chris at beaver sports since oct. on a set of rims but i guess the guy who bends the hoops for simon is in europe and won't be back till sometime in jan.

mtbr member

snocats and weirwolfs

Sounds like we've been looking for the same things at the same time. I have a Karate Monkey (size medium) that I've been trying to outfit for winter use. I tried to go the snocat route but haven't heard back on availability, etc. I ordered and received two of the new weirwolfs 29'er offering but found that, even with the low tread, they rub on the front derailleur (sp?) when the hub is all the way up in the rear dropout. The Surly monkey nuts designed just for this issue of taking up space in the rear drop outs should fix that. I was talking with the guy that runs the bike shop in Wasilla and he said the selection of 29er rims that he saw at a recent trade show is much improved, with some widths close to or equal to the snocats so, there might be a viable alternative to the snocat for the 29 inch bikes. Good luck. WB

mtbr member
    as noted earlier:

29er snowcats have not been easy to get the last few years. If you want a rim about the same weight, slightly narrower and much better quality these are a good alternative

PS You can go the monkey nut route if you want, but why not just clamp your wheel nice and tight with the QR a little farther back in the dropouts. I have run my 1x1 29er,geared, ss, and fixed this way for two years and no slipage. Use a shimano QR for best results. the real basic steel ones grip the best

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    as noted earlier:

PS You can go the monkey nut route if you want, but why not just clamp your wheel nice and tight with the QR a little farther back in the dropouts. I have run my 1x1 29er,geared, ss, and fixed this way for two years and no slipage. Use a shimano QR for best results. the real basic steel ones grip the best
    It looks like the Kris Holm uni rims are even available in Canada, and they look like awesme 29er rims, but I'm just wondering if they'll be wide enough. 38 mm is a big improvement over 24 mm Dyads, but on the other hand snowcats are 44 and, of course, large marge is like a whopping 65 mm.

Monkey nuts shoudn't be an issue, I run 1x9. Unless whatever wheels I end up getting don't clear the frame...

Regards,
    Anthony

Fast, like Squeeze Cheese
    Jan 2005
    It looks like the Kris Holm uni rims are even available in Canada, and they look like awesme 29er rims, but I'm just wondering if they'll be wide enough. 38 mm is a big improvement over 24 mm Dyads, but on the other hand snowcats are 44 and, of course, large marge is like a whopping 65 mm.

Monkey nuts shoudn't be an issue, I run 1x9. Unless whatever wheels I end up getting don't clear the frame...

Regards,
    Anthony
    I am planning on building up a KM with 29ers for the summer and Large Marge's with 3.0 Gazzies for the winter. I have asked some local people here in MN if this is possible and through measurement, it has been deemed easily feasible. The only issue in this setup being the 1/2 to 1" BB drop from the 26" tires. Good luck!!

Anthony,

Just spent a weekend riding snow with my K Monkey, running Weirwolves on moderatly wide rims. They're a great tire for snow, they roll fast, grip pretty well, and for dry snow clear fast. They'd likely not be so good in the mud.

Regarding rear clearance, you should be fine with snocats. You'll likely need to use monkey nuts or something else to move the wheel a bit back in the drops, in which manner you should have plenty of space. This should also solve your wire clearance issue and let you keep your v-brakes.

@adelorenzo

Thanks for all the advice

Just to wrap up this I decided to go the route of the 38mm Kris Holm rim with the widest 29er tire that will fit. Definitely lots of room in the fork for a Weirwolf, and I'll see what happens in the back with clearance. I think I can clear but will likely end up moving the wheel back some.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, this is a great community of riders and my favorite forum on this site. If you're ever heading over to Whitehorse be sure to look me up for some riding.

Regards,
    Anthony