mtbr member
    Feb 2013

fat tire bikejoring

Hey, anybody got a fat tire bike and a good pulling dog? I'm looking for others interested in winter bikejoring in the Anchorage area. I go out with one 50lb dog for between thirty and sixty minutes of all-out -joring. I'm interested in finding others who are serious -jorers to maybe start a group and even have races someday.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bike-jour too. The match between the speed and effort of a fatbike on snow and the dog works much better than trying to have them pull in summertime. We usually split the propulsion effort about 90% (me) and 10% (dog) but it is a great way to get out with the dog. I bike-joured just yesterday in Willow on the iditarod re-start trail before the dog race, great trail conditions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi GrayJay, glad to hear someone else bikejors. I don’t think many people realize how much fun it is, not to mention what a great way it is to be active with your dog. I bet there are people out there who would like to get out with their dog, but are afraid to skijor—true, I’ve pitched over the handlebars a time or two, but I don’t have to risk getting a ski tip caught on the wrong side of a tree and having my knee ligaments shredded.

My dog is pretty gung-ho and contributes more than 10%--the power he contributes definitely adds an extra level of challenge, especially when the trail is twisty-turny. (In fact, I’m trying to build up my biking-chops for a backcountry trip I’m taking over Spring Break, so I’ve been going out without him pulling so I can work harder!) I make an effort to arrange things so he pulls hard the whole way. In the early season, we build up our distance slowly—always leave ‘em wanting more—and I try to vary the route and pick interesting routes. We’re at the peak of the season now, but still the most we go for is an hour, usually less. I want it to be fast and fun, not an endurance event.

What are you saying about bikejoring not working in the summer? The only thing that interferes with summer bikejoring is the heat is hard on the dog, but we keep our miles down and make sure our destination is a lake for some swimming. Look at my introduction in the newbie section for a picture I posted there of summer bikejoring. I’ll try to get a picture of winter bikejoring to post...

mtbr member
    I've been bikejoring w/ my dog (siberian husky) for a few years now! Glad to see a post on this in town. I usually keep riding my Fatback all summer long... helps the dog and I keep pace... she gets too hot when I ride my regular mt. bike. Let me know if you schedule a ride and we'll try to make it. I do work weekends though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi kat71...okay, I'll post a bikejor meeting time, but it'll have to wait until I'm back from my Spring Break trip, so the week after next...

mtbr member
    I bikejor almost daily with my husky around anchorage. Shoot me a pm if anyone wants to join up. We go fairly fast at first, go for about an hour and average 9 mph with lots of breaks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My son got a gopro, so I borrowed it and made a video of fatbikejoring:

fatbikejoring - YouTube

mtbr member
    I take my Shepard/Lhasa mix and young Huskie mix out around the Palmer area every once in a while. Still keeping it to the neighborhood and short (under 2 mile) jaunts as the Huskie isn't quite a year old yet and the other dog can't keep up with her for very long due to his stubby legs - It is great fun though.