mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Fairbanks Trails, Photos

Like Anchorage, Fairbanks is having a snow drought. With barely a 6" snowpack many trails are not yet set and even snowmachines are not out in force. Lucky for me the nearby Love Rd. trail system is in ok shape. About half the trails are passable, if rough. The local tourist dogsled outfit has been running for a couple of weeks and the trails they use are in great shape, but it's only 5-6 miles. Below is link to my flickr album with photos of this winters riding. t

Flickr: awinterbiker's Photostream

mtbr member

Riding in Fairbanks

Beautiful pictures. I've been summer riding in Fairbanks for years, but always gave up the bike for skis in the winter. I've never actually tried to ride on snow, your pictures are very inspiring.

I did a bit of looking on line and found the Snow Tracks at All Weather Sports. I'll give Simon a call and see if I can get a set built up for my Trek Marlin. Nice to have something in Fairbanks! I'm not quite ready to get a fat bike,(I'm about to blow my budget on a Surly LHT for FAI-ANC trips) but I could fit my 29er with bigger tires.

Your pictures make me want to jump on the bike and ride down the Chena.....With all the snow we have this year, this might be a good year to start snow biking.

Thanks for posting them.

Duncan
    Near Chena Marina,
    Fairbanks AK
    Last edited by AlaskaStinson; 11-27-2012 at 10:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Lecunymph wrote in part, " Would anyone here, please produce me some tips on how to ride a bike on snow and how to maintain the bike in winter?"

The "Icebike" mailing list is a good place for all around information about winter biking. Go to the website, Icebike Home Page , and sign up to the mailing list. When you post your questions mention the type of riding you do, trail, urban and the general conditions, temperature, wet or dry snow and so forth. Listers are a great source of information as most of them are daily commuters dealing with a wide range of winter biking conditions. t