@adelorenzo

Extra long power grips

Anyone riding these extra long power grips? I always switch to platforms in the winter and was thinking about trying these out.

The thing is, I often ride in my size 13 bunny boots, which are pretty darn big. Does anyone know from experience if they would fit?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey Anthony,
    I tried out a set of these last winter. I can't help on the sizing without looking at my set-up. I was riding in non-size 13 hiking boots though. A bit different. Not sure if mine were XL or not...I'd have to check.

I wasn't all that impressed with them. When your foot is situated perfectly in them, they do work well but getting to that point can be a bit difficult. I was especially annoyed with them during the Little Su because everytime I had to carry/push over soft snow, I was wasting time trying to get me feet back in them. By the end, I was just ignoring them. You put your foot in and twist to enage them and it seemed that after many repetitions of this, they kind of warped to the twist and were tougher to get into. Just my 0.02. I'll try to remember to check my sizing this weekend.

GIT-R-DONE!
    Don't spend your fundage on them. They will fit depending on the platform pedal you are using they will not work with the large DH type platforms. I gave these a try last winter with a pair of Sorrel Boots. And let me say that they sucked! They are a pain in the arse getting into especially with clunky winter boots. And they retain this memory too them after a while making them even harder to engage.
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So there you go. Manny and I had the same experience although somehow we managed to never discuss it. I did get them to work with a set of Kona Jacksh!t pedals which are about as large and platform as they come.

Still haven't answered the original sizing question though...

GIT-R-DONE!
    Brian have you been able to find a better alternative?
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    I ride w/ 'em. Have for the last two seasons. I thought I read that they're no longer offered in the super-duper extra-long version though. I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, I like 'em. I like 'em a whole bunch. Granted, I ride mostly on the city trails around town and out to Kincaid. I dunno, maybe if you're riding backcountry rivers and snowmachine trails you might not like 'em. I don't see why you wouldn't though. I've only had 'em down to 10 below. Maybe they're not good at 20 below. I don't know. However, I don't think size 13 Bunny boots will fit. I wear size 11. I'll take a better look at mine and report back to you. I have mine mounted on a pair of 1986 Shimano Beartraps, and ride w/ a pair of Columbia boots. My boots are pretty wimpy. I definitely need to upgrade my boots this winter, if winter ever arrives, that is.

So, maybe SkiMonkee or aka bubba will sell their old pairs that they never liked to you for cheap, cheap. Then you can try 'em out.

Kevin
    Last edited by Tarnac; 11-02-2007 at 07:06 PM.

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005

Good job! XL P'wer Grrrrrrrrips

So they're still available. I checked that link you posted. That's great.
    Here are a few photos of what I've been riding. My boots are pretty small. I just don't think size 13 Bunny Boots are going to make it.

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Duct tape to the rescue

I used Power Grips years ago before switching to clipless in winter. They worked ok but a couple of things helped. Use duct tape to stiffen them and keep them open (shaped) for easy entry. This is important once they get worn and soft. You can make them as long as you want by adding duct tape to the end, just fold it over and punch a hole in it, mine held together for a couple of years. You can get them wet and put your boot in it and let it freeze overnight to get it the shape you want. I had mixed results with the last. Soft boots like Sorels don't work well considering how the straps work. t

mtbr member
    Get your boot off the table Tarnac!

I tried those things once and wasn't that impressed, but some people swear by them, use them in the summer. Those people are mostly weird. The ones that opt for them in the summer over clipless.

If you haven't already, try a pair of platforms with the little screw spikes sticking out. To me they're so grippy you can hardly notice the difference switching from clipless. At least riding on the non tech stuff like what most of winter riding is.

The Wellgo mags are good
    Attached Images Attached Images

@adelorenzo
    Last year I had no issues riding in winter with a pair of spiked platform pedals, but I'm always interested in trying new stuff. From the sounds of it, I might give the powerstraps a pass.

Coincidentally, I was in LBS this weekend for a cheap pair of pedals, as my old pair are on my winter commuter/beater. They talked me into a pair of these fancy Kona wah-wah pedals, basically made me an offer I couldn't refuse. They sure look purty....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I also tried the power straps last year along with a pair of hiking boots,was not that inpressed.This year I swicthed to lake boots and Crankbrothers Mallets. I like the mallet pedals because I have choice to click in or not.Plus the lakes are just plain awesome,pricey but money well spent.