Beware of Doggerel

Endurance Racing

MC started an interesting thread over on the endurance forum about self supported racing and some of the fallout from the Arrowhead 135. I posted a rantish thing over there just wondering what others thought about this stuff.

Self-support and safety. Expectations?

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Common Sense

I agree with what Mike and Adam have to say on endurance mt. biking. The Sog Bot 100 does not attract very many riders and I must say most of the riders are prepared and equipped to endure this ride. However, I am constantly amazed about how the few that need assistance, are unprepared mentally and physically; just totally unprepared for the course. I have seen very experienced riders make some very wise decisions to withdraw from the course and I have seen others continue on only to come back to a check point . I have seen others require the assistance of other riders for minor injuries and bike repairs. The 4 years of observations I have on the approach that riders have for challenging the Sog Bot is very educational and has caused me to rethink how to instill the MikeC approach to this 100 mile ride. There will be some major changes this year, hopefully for the better. In 2006, a rider or 2 took every thing they needed for the out and back trip ...... that is what I like to see the Sog evolve to.

Adam, I enjoyed reading your words. I remember a dark night many years ago when we chatted about " thngs " ....... you have travelled so very far and gathered wisdom from your journeys and passed this wisdom up so others may learn .... good, very good
    " joie de vivre "