Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fatback

el gato-not just another winter bike

Finally got some pics to post of my winter ride. It's right at 30 lbs. without the rack, which (the rack) was built by John Evingson. These things are sweet and light. Many thanks to Chain Reaction for getting me all the goods. Bontrager bars, stem, fork and post. Formula oro discs. Xtr hubs. Love everything but the horizontal dropouts. Took it out to the Knik Bar Saturday, and the riding was perfect. 35 and sunny. It was so bomber, some dude was riding his dirtbike. By the way, Wildfire-your "winter farm equipment" bike is perfection. A beautiful piece of art.
    Here's a few more pics that wouldn't go on the first hit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by thirstywork; 02-07-2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hawt! I like the carbon fork and the custom paint. Way to step out of the "purple shadow".
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by thirstywork
    Finally got some pics to post of my winter ride. It's right at 30 lbs. without the rack, which (the rack) was built by John Evingson. These things are sweet and light. Many thanks to Chain Reaction for getting me all the goods. Bontrager bars, stem, fork and post. Formula oro discs. Xtr hubs. Love everything but the horizontal dropouts. Took it out to the Knik bar Saturday, and the riding was perfect. 35 and sunny. It was so bomber, some dude was riding his dirtbike. By the way, Wildfire-your "winter farm equipment" bike is perfection. A beautiful piece of art.
    Nicely done.

Details on your rim mods?

mtbr member

nice rack

cool rack - nice to use those otherwise useless brake bosses
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    And the real question: how much $

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Rims are top secret. Thristy Work is under contract not to say anything or he gets no more beer.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by bflemin
    Rims are top secret. Thristy Work is under contract not to say anything or he gets no more beer.
    Riiiiiiiiight.

I'm guessing ~770g/rim before you added back the rim strip. Assuming you removed the inner wall, which is pretty much necessary to do the milling and rim-stripping you've done.

Err, I mean, oh yeah--top secret. Right. Wink wink.

MC

Fatback

rim doctor

Hey Mike,
    The hardest part is replacing the phetzer valve. Damn, there goes another trade secret. Bill, what's in the fridge?

Beware of Doggerel
    Wow thats a cool looking ride. Love the rack. Rims are cool too Drillium is one of my favorite metals.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Wood chips are stupid

orange bikes kick ass!

Of all the painted fat bikes,yours is the prettiest. In the glare of a HID light at night,it sparkles like a half sucked orange Jolly Rancher with 24k gold flake!

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Fatback

half sucked orange

Deluxe, that's got to be the most descriptive summary of the paint job yet. I'd like to take credit for it (the paint), but I just picked it out. The work is all Advanced Powdercoating out in Big Lake, which I think is who Wildfire uses. His work is top shelf. Mark is a great guy and I will use him on the racks and fork I'm having done. I'm having John Evingson build me a fork with braze ons' for a front rack. I was going to modify my carbon Bontrager, but decided to use John's fork instead. Does anybody know of a good pinstriper? I'd like to put some lettering on it.Hope to see you all at Goose Saturday night.

Wood chips are stupid
    There is a custom motorcycle place on Muldoon. They might know of a pinstriper here in Anch. You could try it yourself. A couple of ales,a good brush and a little practice...

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Fatback

even after the ales

Yeah, I know, but I've seen my handwriting and that's not what I want it to look like. Maybe decals are the way to go. Cheap and replaceable.

FatBike Fiend

Looks great and less filling.

Love that orange color, the guys at Advanced Powdercoaters do great work. Glad you liked the Farmall FatBike, it will be in the Su50K race if anyone wants a closer look. I am just finishing this one, no it's not ti just metallic silver powdercoat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    any reason for the new style drop outs on the rear Mark.

mtbr member
    How about a close-up photo of those Drillium rims?

FatBike Fiend

Not really

Quote Originally Posted by carlhutch
    any reason for the new style drop outs on the rear Mark.
    Mike DeSalvo is using those drop outs this year. They look pretty and save a little weight. Last years version had a heavier duty derailleur hanger though.

ScaryLarry:
    Depending on how busy the guys at Advanced Powdercoaters are it takes anywhere from a couple days to a week and a half. They've done so many frames for me and others they are very tuned into what to mask and plug on a bike. It usually costs around $130 for a frame and $30 for a fork including sand blasting the old paint.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    Love that orange color, the guys at Advanced Powdercoaters do great work. Glad you liked the Farmall FatBike, it will be in the Su50K race if anyone wants a closer look. I am just finishing this one, no it's not ti just metallic silver powdercoat.
    Dang Mark those wildfire bikes just keep getting prettier and prettier every time you post one. That is a good looking bike and I love the script graphic Wildfire logo. I've become a big fan of the 100mm BB lately so I was glad to hear Wildfire is using them now. I might be at the Su50K. Are you racing it or just hanging out? Any pics of the ti version?

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

FatBike Fiend

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Dang Mark those wildfire bikes just keep getting prettier and prettier every time you post one. That is a good looking bike and I love the script graphic Wildfire logo. I've become a big fan of the 100mm BB lately so I was glad to hear Wildfire is using them now. I might be at the Su50K. Are you racing it or just hanging out? Any pics of the ti version?

Adam
    I keep getting uglier but at least my bikes are getting prettier. 100mm seems to be working out great. The chainline is not quite as spot on as last year but everything still works and the extra wheel clearance is a good thing. No races for me this year, I'll be out on the trail touring during the Su100/50K. We're riding in from Knik Lake and will intersect orbits with the racers at some point out there while generally staying out of the way. Mike DeSalvo is working on a ti frame FatBike prototype now, it should be done soon. It's got a 100mm bb shell and 150mm rear hub spacing with only (I think) 5mm of offset on the rear triangle.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Beware of Doggerel
    I keep getting uglier but at least my bikes are getting prettier. 100mm seems to be working out great. The chainline is not quite as spot on as last year but everything still works and the extra wheel clearance is a good thing. No races for me this year, I'll be out on the trail touring during the Su100/50K. We're riding in from Knik Lake and will intersect orbits with the racers at some point out there while generally staying out of the way. Mike DeSalvo is working on a ti frame FatBike prototype now, it should be done soon. It's got a 100mm bb shell and 150mm rear hub spacing with only (I think) 5mm of offset on the rear triangle.
    Cool, I may be riding around in that general area also not sure yet. I'm not racing this year, but right now I wish I was, oh well. Its been fun to put some time in on skis.

The thing I like about the 100mm shell is not the chain line or clearance thing but the fact that it allows me to keep my pedals feet and knees clear of the frame bag even when the bag is poorly or overly packed.

Adam

FatBike Fiend

Hey Thirstywork

Just curious: how much front tire clearance do you get with the Bonty fork? No tire rub problems? Was thinking of trying a Pace 29er fork, pretty much the same fork as near as I can tell, just a little longer. It would save around a lb. of weight off the front end. I can see from your picture it's so light you are having a hard time keeping the front wheel weighted.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Fatback

Bonty fork

Hey Wildfire-the clearance is tight. I would say about an eighth/side, but no rubbing. The Pace fork is 95mm wide so it won't work unless you use Snowcats or something narrower than Large Marge's. I will be out at the Little Su race and hope to see you there. Oh yeah, maybe the front end IS light. I always thought that the rear end was heavy.

Fatback

Bonty 29er fork

Wildfire, Bontrager also makes a 29er carbon fork if you're still interested. Looking forward to seeing you next weekend.

FatBike Fiend

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thirstywork
    Wildfire, Bontrager also makes a 29er carbon fork if you're still interested. Looking forward to seeing you next weekend.
    I was wondering about that, thanks. I'll check it out, any shops in Anch carry them?

Are you racing in the Su100? If so I'll see you on the trail. We're leaving now to ride out the Iditarod from Knik Lake, should be good.
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Fatback

Little Su

I was wondering about that, thanks. I'll check it out, any shops in Anch carry them?

Are you racing in the Su100? If so I'll see you on the trail. We're leaving now to ride out the Iditarod from Knik Lake, should be good.
    I don't think anybody would have one in stock, but maybe Bill or Jamie at Chain Reaction will read this and let us know for certain. The standard length fork is suspension corrected at 445mm. The 29er is 465mm. The offset is 38mm. I will be racing the Little Su. We should be easy enough to find with our choice of colors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast