mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Eklutna Trail Washed Out...

I attempted to ride Eklutna yesterday, what a mess. The bike/walk trail is gone in a lot of places from erosion. In several places the lake is up over the trail with 2 feet of water on the trail. Up high there were trees fallen over the trail. The work needed to repair this trail is going to be extensive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Wow, would love to see some pictures of that. Seems like the water level in the lake has been dropping for years, so having it up over the trail in some places would be impressive. Sorry to hear about the trail conditions though. That will surely take a lot of work to repair and unfortunately, probably won't be very high on the priority list.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    That will surely take a lot of work to repair and unfortunately, probably won't be very high on the priority list.
    Thats what im afraid of...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wow, I was up there just before the last storm and it was A OK. I rode into the Kanchee campground with no problems at all. That is way to bad if the lower trail has disappeared in places.
    Latitude 61

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011
    Wow, would love to see some pictures of that. Seems like the water level in the lake has been dropping for years,
    Bike wRider: Fifteen Soggy Photos

Here's a dozen+ photos of the trail conditions from about a week ago. It's down just a little bit since then, but still full and then some.

The lake goes up and down 30-40ft each year.
    Up all summer as the mountains put water in, then down all winter as we drink it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I guess I am pretty much alwasy out there first thing in the spring, before the lake level comes up from all the summer runoff. Frequently there is still ice on the lake. Good pics. Definitely unfortunate for the trail, but hopefully some form of bypass can be made to get by the "missing" sections.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    hopefully some form of bypass can be made to get by the "missing" sections.
    Its going to take a lot of work... there's a lot of the trail just gone. I was up there again the other day, people were having to carry their bikes through the trees and bushwhack to get around the flooded areas and missing sections.

Are there any other good long endurance trails like this around that might still be good???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    Its going to take a lot of work... there's a lot of the trail just gone. I was up there again the other day, people were having to carry their bikes through the trees and bushwhack to get around the flooded areas and missing sections.

Are there any other good long endurance trails like this around that might still be good???
    Saunter your way out a little further towards Palmer and ride the Matanuska greenbelt

This flooding could be an excellent opportunity for volunteer groups to carve out some sections of singletrack at Eklutna next year.

As they say don't let a perfectly good tragic event go to waste...

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by akpirate View Post
    This flooding could be an excellent opportunity for volunteer groups to carve out some sections of singletrack at Eklutna next year.

As they say don't let a perfectly good tragic event go to waste...
    Good call, I was chatting with the Eklutna park ranger, Keith Wilson, yesterday.
    He obviously has nothing in his budget to use to repair the trail, and chuckled when I asked. So there might be some interest in some free labor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by akpirate View Post
    Saunter your way out a little further towards Palmer and ride the Matanuska greenbelt
    I'm very interested in trying the greenbelt, is it dry enough to ride this time of year?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curly1 View Post
    I'm very interested in trying the greenbelt, is it dry enough to ride this time of year?
    IMO yes, a lot of the trails are slick with leaves and the few puddles that are around have firm ground under them.

Almost all of the singletrack built in recent years has been well designed to shed water.

Obviously, if there is a big jump in traffic on some of the trails things might get tore up alittle, but the trails are pretty resilient for the most part. I just passed the Matanuska State Park entrance and saw a group of bikers loadin/ unloading about an hour ago so people are out there now riding it.