mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Eklutna Lake - Good to go! (maybe, read the thread)

Checked out Eklutna Lake today, frozen up solid and in great shape! The thinnest spot I found was 3 1/2" of solid clear ice just offshore, most of the ice I tested was 8"+. The ice itself was rough and textured with ~1" of light snow on top, not slick at all and studded tires are not necessary. There are spots where broken up ice chunks are sticking up, but theyre easy to navigate around.

Note: I only checked the ice ~1/2 mile from the campground, from one side of the lake to the other, but I'd imagine the entire lake would be equally as thick if not thicker the closer to the glacier end you get.
    Last edited by Asrjb25; 01-15-2016 at 10:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It appears the ice is not as solid on the north end of the lake. Please use EXTREME caution if you go out there. Here is a post from another person in response to this (was posted on Anchorage Fat Bike Facebook page).

"Hey all, someone posted on the MTBR page that Eklutna Lake ice was ready to ride. The ice was checked on Thursday at the north end of the lake with a drill, and that person retreated after 100 yards when 3.5" went to 2" thick. The ice thickness is very variable right now and with a layer of snow on top, it's hard to tell what things look like. Park Ranger says there's large areas of open water as of Sunday as well. Just a heads up that it's probably not very safe to be riding on Eklutna Lake right now. Be patient, don't go swimming!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Good to know, thank you. I checked from the north shore around where the water intake for the power plant is directly across to the south shore using an 8" ice screw only place I found thin ice was ~10 feet off the north shore, everywhere else was 6-8+, so caution is definitely advised. The temp at the parking lot when I left at ~17:00 was 16 degrees.