mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Eagle Rive Ice bike

While staying the night at the rapids camp yurt yesterday we found an ice highway out our backdoor!! I only had time to go about a 1/2 mile upriver but the ice looked great about 4-5 inches thick with the occasional open spot which was easily avoidable. Snow is only 1-2 inches so regurlar studded tires worked great..

Plan on heading as far as possible Saturday afternoon ~2:00 in case anybody else interested

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

sweet!

i'd have joined you in a heartbeat if my work-life balance wasn't so skewed - my wife Lisa and I found a lot more open water on our ride sunday along Eagle River - and a surprise on the banks - fresh black bear tracks in the snow - too large to be facing its first hibernation. Hope the next post is some awesome photos of your adventure up the river.

attached a pic of Lisa bundled up and happy (before we saw the bear tracks)
    Last edited by Mesotony; 12-24-2006 at 09:26 AM.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Hot Tub??

We made it a few miles up before some newly frozen ice turned us back. With the temps in the single digits and the lack of deep snow it should only get better though. It did look perfect for skate skiing so I'll have to try that next!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

what overflow?

yes I tried yesterday too - a little lower on the river - travelling alone on the river and not feeling real brave... wasn't it the boyscout handbook that says about ice:
    1" stay off
    2" one may
    3" small groups
    4" OK

Thats for lakes though..not moving water - still I agree that it will only get better thanks for sharing the idea
    Last edited by Mesotony; 12-24-2006 at 09:26 AM.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers