Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Down to ride!!

Anchorage, AK

Down to ride!!

Just saw this Alaska section here on MTBR. Been here on these forums since '09 or so but have never noticed the AK section!! Anyhow, I live near the Hillside trail system and I ride almost every day. Hit Kincaid as well here and there. If anybody wants to ride, message me! I'm usually busy during the evenings after 5 and free on the weekends. Rode Hillside yesterday and the warm temps haven't ruined the trails just yet.
    Cheers,
    -Joe
    two wheel livin'..

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sign up for the BikeMe Anchorage Meetup group. A lot of rides are posted there. Some are posted on the local bike-shop's facebook pages, and of course some are posted here!

Should be something happening tomorrow. I'll probably try to ride. Same general area.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Anchorage, AK
    Totally did. Sometimes I ride alone, sometimes I ride with folks. The more the merrier right?
    two wheel livin'..

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'll probably ride at the ball-fields at 7pm. I'll see if anyone else wants to.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Rode from Smokejumper last night. Ballfield and Speedway were pretty slick, as were the multi-use trails. Moose Meadow was better, Rover's Run good as well as Blue Dot. Groomer came through the Tour of Anc trail and we took advantage of that as the snow isn't deep on the trial. No ruts on single track...thankfully. Studs very helpful. Chain Reaction ride came through and passed us with their studded tires.

I also posted conditions to Bik Me Anchorage! on the fat bike discussion forum.
    Last edited by AKPeach; 03-13-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added info

Elitest thrill junkie
    I think I'd like to ride tonight, I'm not 10% due to conditions tho.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I talked to Margaret at the store regarding the conditions and that is why she is going a different route...avoiding ballfield and speedway. I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. I don't think it will be worse than last night as it didn't get any warmer today. All else fails, I'll go back to the car. Maybe go get a beer or head home. Come on out...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, it's just sooo warm, but that'll be good I guess.

Anchorage, AK

Down to ride!!

Ugh. I shoulda stayed in town to ride some trails! It's raining like crazy in Girdwood. Was gonna snowboard from 7 to 9..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Trails are pretty much the same as last night, but more of the tour trail is groomed so that part has improved. Good riding for the most part, just watch yourself on the corners. Studs help, but are not required.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Pretty much. Didn't do ballfields from paper plate because the beginning was so icy. Also crazy icy just leaving from the ballfields parking lot, but we didn't notice it leaving. Was barely able to walk up the hill at the end on the way back though. Conditions are not improving

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Pretty much. Didn't do ballfields from paper plate because the beginning was so icy. Also crazy icy just leaving from the ballfields parking lot, but we didn't notice it leaving. Was barely able to walk up the hill at the end on the way back though. Conditions are not improving
    I couldn't figure out why a guy was watching me closely as I approached the hill back to the parking lot. I managed to make it up, but was slipping a lot (even with studs). I glanced back as I made it to the top and the guy was clapping. I guess he didn't expect me to make it and was just going to watch the show.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Let's hope the forecast is true...that the wind changes from the north and we get a couple of inches of the white stuff tonight. That would make riding good for the weekend.

Anchorage, AK

Down to ride!!

Seriously. I got new parts to try out! I'm in the garage today working on my single speed commuter..

Sent from my wireless communication apparatus
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm not ready to give up fat biking yet! I just got my bike in January when it rained for two weeks. A couple inches on the single track would be perfect. It'll melt off the street quick enough.

Anchorage, AK
    Me either. At least my picture that I submitted to the bikerumor.com picture of the day got posted! Bikerumor Pic Of The Day: Anchorage Sunset
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by anortherncrazy View Post
    Me either. At least my picture that I submitted to the bikerumor.com picture of the day got posted! Bikerumor Pic Of The Day: Anchorage Sunset
    Nice!

mtbr member
    I'm down to ride when the snow is up don't have a fat bike would have to ride one before buying one. (I hate the cold) but yeah I'm looking for more people to ride with or anyone really none of my friends ride kinda been a loner when it comes to riding bikes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ak609 View Post
    I'm down to ride when the snow is up don't have a fat bike would have to ride one before buying one. (I hate the cold) but yeah I'm looking for more people to ride with or anyone really none of my friends ride kinda been a loner when it comes to riding bikes.

If you are looking for people to ride with, you should check out a meet-up group I created in January called Bike Me Anchorage. The calendar is quite full with events and it would be a good way to get out on the bike and meet people to ride with. I created the group in an effort to bring all of Anchorage biking together in one location. There is a calendar with scheduled events, discussion boards for each of the types of biking as well as other items. I hope you can check it out and join us on some rides.

Anchorage, AK

Down to ride!!

The trails were killer today!!

two wheel livin'..

Anchorage, AK

Down to ride!!

The last two days have been amazing on the Anchorage Hillside and Campbell trails. Loving the spring weather!! Probably gonna get another ride in tomorrow in the afternoon.

two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Is there a place we can rent fat tire bikes? Are they fun on the hillside like up and down?

Anchorage, AK

Down to ride!!

How tall are you?

two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    5 11 with 32 inch in seam I ride a medium in mountain bike and large on road bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The University Sports Complex rents them (along with most shops). Yep, they are fun up and down! Just got back from riding the Abbott Loop/Bicentennial Park trails Still good out there! No deep ruts, no bad ice, mostly just good hardpack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast