Alaska Turner Mafia

Don't let the frigid temps stop you!

I decided to test some flat pedals and winter boots today instead of my clipless Times and Lake winter boots. Keeping my toes warm has always been my bane when temps approach zero, and over the years I've learned the Lakes aren't all they're cracked up to be. I like them for the transition season temperature ranges they happen to be effective for me, but today had me finishing up a three hour ride with warm feet without them! I miss my clipless for sure, but for today's conditions I'm glad I put them aside.

SB and I decided to climb today. The more elevation toward Glen Alps you gain, the higher the temps gradually get. The difference lately between Campbell Cr and Glen Alps has been around fifteen degrees!

We made our way up the STA Trails to Prospect. Even if it wasn't getting warmer, the heat we generated while climbing left us plenty comfy, despite still being in the shadow of a ridge to our south. Here's SB, still shaded this morning overlooking town.

Making our way down the Near Pt trail you could see the shadow lowering. Our destination would be the ridge you see in the background, sun exposure!

Crossing the bridge, then veering left to parallel the creek downstream into the Wolverine Bowl area would lead us to that ridge. Once on top,.......nice.....

There's some crux moves in there, and some steep stuff, but way fun. And the trail conditions are fantastic!

Figure out what works for you to stay warm, cuz the reward for landing a solution is a ton of real fun right now.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great pics, thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Awesome pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I recently added a layer of cork board (probably about 1/8" or so) under my insoles on my Lake boots. I was having trouble with my toes still getting cold even with wool socks. The difference I have felt is amazing. I have been riding every couple of days recently and my biggest fear is that my feet sweat so much from being too warm. The cold comes in through the clip/cleat (metal conducts cold quickly). By adding a layer of good insulation between your foot and the cleat, it helps a ton.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have a pair of neoprene overboots made by 40 below company-I put these on over my sorrels, toasty feet, in fact I think I could get away with using a lighter boot and these overboots.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I recently added a layer of cork board (probably about 1/8" or so) under my insoles on my Lake boots. I was having trouble with my toes still getting cold even with wool socks. The difference I have felt is amazing. I have been riding every couple of days recently and my biggest fear is that my feet sweat so much from being too warm. The cold comes in through the clip/cleat (metal conducts cold quickly). By adding a layer of good insulation between your foot and the cleat, it helps a ton.
    I like this idea. I'm new to AK, but I've been riding in AZ in single digits and slightly below 0 before. It doesn't matter how much insulation a "winter riding boot" has when it has the fatal flaw of a cleat and clipless pedal. There has to be some significant distance of something that doesn't transmit heat well between your foot and the cleat. I'm just going to go with flats though for the time being. Not worth it to fight the cold for me.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Do you think these trails would be rideable for someone without a fat bike? It looks like fun!

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Fat tyre

Quote Originally Posted by Munkyak View Post
    Do you think these trails would be rideable for someone without a fat bike? It looks like fun!
    Sure those trails are rideable without fat tyres. Fat tyres just make it a little more fun.

I use an 1/8th in cork board as well in my shimano winter boots. Like akclimber I use a similar gaiter/over boot from Mountain tools. I run SPD though. The Mountain tools over boot is insulated with a 5:10 rubber rand. If it is Zero or below I throw on a chemical warmer on the top of my toes. My feet are the warmest part of my body when riding with this set up.

Endo struggled yest with his flat pedals on the more technical spots no doubt. He will get used to it I'm sure.

Have fun out there. Stay warm!
    I'm deteriorating faster than I can lower my standards

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looks like fun! I'm battling a nasty cold, no riding lately.

Where are you guys sourcing your cork board/sheet from? Hardware store (Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wrcRS View Post

Where are you guys sourcing your cork board/sheet from? Hardware store (Lowe's/Home Depot/Ace?)
    Picked my cork board up in the school supply section at Fred Meyer. It was a package of 4 sheets in plastic wrap, something like 12"x12". Managed to get both feet cut out of a single sheet, so I have supply for the next round when these either wear out or I set up another set of boots.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks anchskier!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I may have to try this cork board thing, i have been getting unreasonably cold feel. I may just try using flat pedals and big boots

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Cork footbed

Quote Originally Posted by wrcRS View Post

I used mine from boot fitting adventures for ski boots. You can also try AMH or REI. They should have different lengths and widths in the shape of your footbed.
    I'm deteriorating faster than I can lower my standards

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by armyclimber View Post
    I may have to try this cork board thing, i have been getting unreasonably cold feel. I may just try using flat pedals and big boots
    You may have your boots a little tight. I use a lake boots a couple sizes big, at first my feet where getting cold so i tried less socks a kept my boot a little loser it works great down to About -20F or so. Any colder I put a cover over my boot. Also I use a good quality sole liner seems to keep the cold from coming up from the clip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm not proud--I make sure my boot toe box can fit those chemical toe-warmers.