Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

dome trail.massacre

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  ANC-Rider 
#1 ·
On May 23 the (A mountain running club of some sort) held a race on the dome trail (Knoya Ridge Run). As you know, trails were soup then, and not ready for foot traffic, let alone a race with so many people. They held the race and the next day I went to look. Walking only off the trail an up about 200 yards, the trail was wider and potholed for as far as I wanted to go. I rode it yesterday and now it is in a condition that riding will actually help smooth out the mess. I'm rather outraged as this is a trail I work on annually clearing trees and working on drainage and brush overgrowth. Maybe I'm crazy and a stampede of runners on a thawing mountain trail is just fine in th long run and it won't matter.
An email to let them know how irresponsible holding this race was. The trail is wider in most places, the low puddle spots lower and potholed all over. If you haven't been up the dome, you ought to. Thanks. Feel free to let me know if this sort of thing isn't that big of a deal. I am wrong often.

#2 ·
That is ashamed, but surely all groups can find a way to co-exist and work responsibly?? :)

I am thinking about headinup up today for a rip, and checkout conditions. Will report back with some conditions.

Any report on a race(s) this year down the dome? Didnt see any on the schedule.

#4 ·
Conditions go from perfect and dry to almost dry and completely pockmarked and potholed.

Dome access- get a jber pass from the jber website. Jber activity pass. I have a pic of it on my phone I'll show if they ever stop me. Haven't in 5 years though. Good to check in to make sure the area is open.

Park at north bivouac, head east/northeast. Under the powerline over a ridge and 1/4 mike down the road the trail is on the right. Keep left at the intersection. Best trail in anchorage IMO. Can't beat a singletrack trail that gets you into the alpine with such little hiking. Great access to knoya, kanchee, tikishla , etc. I'm off all summer, pm me if you want to meet up.

#13 ·
No idea. I would guess they aren't going to be doing anything. Talk is cheap. I guess in Anchorage, as long as you aren't a biker you are allowed to do whatever the hell you want to trails and it's okay. The funny thing about this was when I contacted alaska mountain runners, the president said that organization has nothing to do with it, and became quite hostile when I asked why it was on his website and advertised by them. Then the people that actually organize it and sponsor the thing said they knew the trail wasn't ready, but would be right up to fix the damage. I thought by this time in the summer the potholes would have evened out some. Not even close though. Hopefully next year, mother nature prepares the trails they run on before they run, because they'll just do it anyway since it isn't biking after all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.