If you don't know where the dome trail is, or don't ride it because of the military presence thing, here is some Beta:
To receive a military pass:
1) Go to this link
2) Follow the directions and quickly register for a pass. I do this on my phone and take a picture of the pass. That way it's on my phone to show MP if I need to.
3) Call the number on the pass and listen to the recording, push the buttons to sign into Area 428-429 which is the tank trail and the dome area
I'm back in that area nearly everyday, and haven't seen an MP for a few years. They do make laps on the road though, I just miss them I guess.
Easiest place to tell you directions.
1) Start at N. Bivouac TH and ride East toward the mountains. Continue under the powerline clearing and through the military fence higher up the trail.
2) The trail turns north and you'll cross a skinny bridge over North Fork of Campbell Creek. The trail turns into the tank trail. In a little over 1/4 of a mile the dome trail is on the right.
3) A no brainer to the top from here except for the intersection 1/2 up. Keep left.
I'd say the dome trail is a long hill climb with a punchy push/hike a bike to the (1st top). 4-6 miles or so. It's possible to keep pushing back to Knoya ridge, and nearly to the summit of Knoya with a real cool ride back down.
If you haven't been, go check it out. I haven't seen a ton of bears up there. Nice weekend days are busy with hikers so I try to avoid those.
This trail has also been rideable in the right winter conditions, which is pretty cool.
If you'd like to assemble a work party to clear overgrowth and fix AK MTN Runners thrashing, or just go ride, PM me and we can set something up.
Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Dome trail
Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!
See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »