Thread: Dome

Bikes are good

Dome

Pushed up the military fence line to Basher parking lot (Access to dome, should have ridden the road though.) Hooked up to dome trail on the more traveled section. Trail was surprisingly rideable on the way up. 70% if I had to put a number on it. Steeper sections were tough. Decided to push to the top to catch some sun. 100% rideable down to the 1/2 point. I knew it would be a sufferfest to the tank trail, but wanted to put a track down it. With more traffic the dome trail would be a great addition to the winter riding scene.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dome-img_1052.jpg  

Dome-img_1058.jpg  

Dome-img_1065.jpg  

Dome-img_1072.jpg  

Dome-img_1076.jpg  

Dome-img_1082.jpg  

"Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    nice shot with the dog!

Bikes are good
    Took a ski back to Tikishla peak via dome trail from tank trail. Someone had snowshoed in, and cleared a bunch of alders and overhanging mess. Rode half way up from the tank trail today and it was pretty good. 1/2 to the top will be great. Heading up tomorrow.

Bikes are good
    Dome trail not great to ride on the lower 1/2. Okay on the upper 1/2 but tough riding up.

Anyone been on the middle fork trail since the snow? Are we technically allowed to ride that this year? Same permit as last year? Haven't heard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    Dome trail not great to ride on the lower 1/2. Okay on the upper 1/2 but tough riding up.

Anyone been on the middle fork trail since the snow? Are we technically allowed to ride that this year? Same permit as last year? Haven't heard.
    You have to apply for the permit again if you want to ride that trail this year, can't just use last year's permit. Still free and easy to get, but just gotta do it. e-mail csp@alaska.gov with your information. They added some other trails to the "open" list with the permit this year, so getting a little better each time. Lost Cabin is good to go this year with the permit.

Was up there last week and was about half pushing, half touchy riding. Windblown snow had created a bit of a breakable crust that made things rough. I would assume it is likely a lot better by now just from more traffic of various kinds on it since then, but haven't been up there in a number of days to confirm.

Bikes are good
    Thanks. I still had the old one on my bike.

Where's Lost Cabin?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    Thanks. I still had the old one on my bike.

Where's Lost Cabin?
    It is the trail that takes off to the northwest from the 4-way intersection of Near Point and Wolverine. You can either continue down Homestead to the trailhead near the top of Basher Road or take the left and parallel the creek back to the bridge on the Near Point trail. Lots of people have been riding it over the last couple of years, but it technically was not open until this year.

Bikes are good
    Oh yeah okay. Wolverine Bowl trail? Is there a lost cabin in there? I make that trip all the time and didn't know it was called that. From that basher p. lot across the road there is usually a nicely packed trail under the powerline. I follow that home, but it goes to a nice long downhill to campbell airstrip. Thanks again.