Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?

dj (dirt jumper), sk8 park, urban killer bike...

is anybody building a dj/sk8 park bike? i have my fr/dh bike, and my winter, just kickin' around bike. i was looking at building a dj (dirt jumper), sk8 park, urban killer...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:28 PM.
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

i drink shower water
    brian i actually just got done buidling a DJ bike. I came across a mongoose thunderball frame from 2006 that was lightly used and started building on it. I am just waiting for the brakes to get here and im done. i was skeptical of mongoose but the frame is solid so..
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

i know there's two types/levels of mongoose. there is the wal mart special, and then the higher end. right now, i have a bid on an stp frame w/ head set. like i said in my earlier post, i ready like how the stp rode. i was alittle surprised... i just thought having a dj ht would be good in building some skills. my winter, just kicking around is a ht. but not really built to handle the abuse of dj.sk8 parks, etc... plus, an fs bike makes you kinda of lazy. the fs compensates if you make a mistake. a ht, you make a mistake, you'll going down... ht's, you have to ride alot cleaner... you should post some pic of your dj (and your fr/dh) bike...

i drink shower water
    i can do that.. let me get my hands on a camera...

changed my mind about my dj bike...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:32 PM.

Ologist
    There are a couple dj courses around town. I think the biggest non-private is at Connor's Bog.

weird...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:30 PM.

changed my mind about my dj bike...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:31 PM.

i drink shower water
    thats a nice looking frame we gotta hit the DJ park up also when im home.

Ologist
    Qoute by Scary Larry:
    {Just to let you guys know. Yes, Connors Bog is not private, but is under city parks and rec. If a freeride course is found it will be torn down. That piece of land is not classified, for whatever some idiots want to construct illegally, kind of city property}

No one said anything about a freeride park and yes, it is a municipal off-leash dog park. With the amount of trash from the snow dump and dog crap everywhere, I wonder what it is classified for. The dirt jump course has been there, growing with new construction, for over 3 years.No trees cut or moved and no walking trails disrupted. There are folks riding it everyday and no complaints yet. The jumps are to the side of the main drag so anyone who has visited the park is aware of aware of them and it attracts some spectators. The city knows it is there - it is not hidden. It is amazing that the city hasn't filled it back in, but their inaction clearly suggests that they have turned a blind eye. If they filled it in or posted it once in the last 3 years then I would be concerned.

Those "idiots" are local kids in my nieghborhood. They have done it responsibly and established good relations with dog walkers and users. Not every trail has been established through the proper channels (although I would encourage folks to do so). It takes years to construct trails through proper channels (kudos to STA) let alone a dj track. I applaud the kids for channeling their passion, doing something active outside, and for just being kids.
    Last edited by Valhalla; 02-21-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_404
    i know which one you're talking about. its by the trail going to the lake. we ride by that all the time in the summer... we stopped and was checking it out. the ground is like concrete... someone built a kicker out in the field just pass the jumps, going tore the opening in the fence by the road... one day we were ridin' threw, and saw that someone had brought in a cat and leveled it out...
    Are you sure they level Connors Bog track? It must have been late this fall.

go out and have funn...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:22 PM.

kids will be kids...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:23 PM.

i drink shower water
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary Larry
    Well Mr Brian, you have now generated a visit out to Connor's Bog. I will bet Tim Woody would like to join me. The visit won't happen until spring, but I guarantee it will be checked into. I used to walk a dog out there, before it was a dog park, and enjoyed the lack of junk out there. I guess a phone call to Parks and Rec is going to be made also. You freeriders are not making friends here; you haven't since you have joined us.
    JOINED YOU?? We might frequent the same forum but i dont go around threatening people who mention something i dont agree with. People like this blow my mind... If it is not your type of riding then its destrcutive and in poor taste. News Flash freeriding is not going anywhere, almost every bike company is starting to cater to the freeride market. Get use to it. For now people see it as a punk aspect of biking but soon it will be accepted and embraced. look at skateboarding. i remember when you could not find a single skate park in Anchorage so we skated behind buildings and at the courthouse and we got all this flack for being punks. now there are skateparks in anchorage, eagle river, wassilla, juneau, pretty much everywhere. Alaska seems to be the slowest progressing state in the whole US. In Colorado we freeride everywhere and as long as we are respectful when people pass everything is fine. Jesus you even mention freeriding in this forum and people lose control of their bowels.

Nostalgia is one thing but freaking out about the progression of a sport is another. this reminds of the Agusta Country Club who will not let womena and miniorities join the golf club. Hell they wouldnt even let Black Pros play there til 1975, and they still wont let Women Play! I know most of you are probably older than i am (21) but think about when you were 18 20 and your damn rock and roll music was the workd of the devil. I feel like im in a Bike Version of the Movie Footloose. Most trails become legal because they are illegal at first.
    Last edited by hab1b; 02-26-2007 at 12:16 PM.

Ologist
    Larry - not making friends in Anchorage by threatening people that don't share your same views and riding style. For the record, there is no freeriding park at Connors (no structures, raised obstacles, etc.). There are a couple jumps made out of dirt. The only junk that resides in Connors is the trash blowing over from snow dump and all the dog crap.

Give it a rest. Let the kids enjoy their park. The dog walkers don't mind. In fact I was talking to my nieghbor yesterday and he was telling about the day last summer when someone was complaining to them riding out there and this elderly lady came by with her dog and told the "complainer" to get the hell out - that she had been walking there for 30 years and he should leave the kids alone.

Do you remember what is what like to be a kid looking for stuff to do in the summer and then have some curmudgeon ruin your fun? Do you remeber riding through the woods when you were growing up - building jumps and forts? Some of my most adventurous year were the ones I spent running around the forest as an adolescent and teen. If you want to help the park, how about talking to the muni regarding their dump that spills into the park or better yet help the kids establish the park with the muni. Maybe you should take a walk out there and look before threatening since you haven't been out there since before it was a dog park - that was a long time ago. You are all about tearing something down and you haven't even seen it or been directly affected by it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary Larry
    Well Mr Brian, you have now generated a visit out to Connor's Bog. I will bet Tim Woody would like to join me. The visit won't happen until spring, but I guarantee it will be checked into. I used to walk a dog out there, before it was a dog park, and enjoyed the lack of junk out there. I guess a phone call to Parks and Rec is going to be made also. You freeriders are not making friends here; you haven't since you have joined us.

Give it a break "Tattle Tale". Were you ever a kid? It sounds like on hear they haven't done anything most of us didn't do growing up riding bikes and being a kid. The regular park users don't seem to have issues with it either.

This old school MTBR attitude towards the new school freeriders reminds me of the rodie "nose in the air" attidude towards the new school mountain bikers back in the early 90's . Just because its something you aren't into or don't have the balls to do doesn't mean its wrong. Back off...these guys just want to have fun riding bikes like everyone else.

BTW if you've been keeping up with the industry lately. Freeriders aren't going away.They've given the industry new life.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    Alaska seems to be the slowest progressing state in the whole US.
    I seriously believe that the coefficient of mustaches and mullets is higher here than any other state in the union. Maybe someone should put out a PSA on that instead of dogging out creative kids......unless ther'y a-holes......then dog away.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

why can't we all just get along?
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:23 PM.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni

Melllowwww...

I think it would be awsome if everyone just mellowed out.
    I also think the issue here is a misunderstanding. The STA people (I'm not a member) are very concerned for all of the hard work they have put in on the hillside carving out singletrack. Imagine if you built a bad arse series of jumps and you showed up one day to hit said jumps only to find that they had been torn down for no real reason. I would be super pissed if I went for a ride on one of the trails that I have personally worked on here in the valley and found where someone had shoveled out some stunts. The other problem is permission, if guys build without permission in areas where this would be a requirement, and it pisses people off, then they complain. When they complain it makes it harder for the people who try to get permission, to get it.
    I personally love going airborne with my bike, I just choose to use natural terain rather than constructed. I am the same way on my snowboard, I can fly with the best of them but you will never catch me in the park. It just doesn't feel right to me.
    One last point, when I was young (for I am still very much a kid) and someone told on someone else for whatever reason they most likely got a beatin'. Don't take that as a threat, I'm just saying most situations can be handled without the involvement of the MAN. Anythime the authorities are involved decisions start getting made for people instead of by them.
    Hug it out b!tches
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

i just bought in my 2004 specialized bight comp and weigh it. it weighs...
    45.5 pounds!!! the guy at the LBS, i asked if he wanted to try my bighit, and i told him to go for it... he liked it...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:24 PM.

THIS JUST IN: changed my mind about my dj bike...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-05-2007 at 09:24 PM.

yeah, i changed my mind about building one. i've been working two jobs to support my MTB habit... i picked this baby up... it's an 07 p2 chro-moly. i think i'll like it much better... it was going to cost me ten times more to build one...plus, i'm a big specialized fan... I can't WAIT for the snow to melt...
    Last edited by brian_404; 03-27-2007 at 10:22 PM.

War machine member
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    I seriously believe that the coefficient of mustaches and mullets is higher here than any other state in the union. Maybe someone should put out a PSA on that instead of dogging out creative kids......unless ther'y a-holes......then dog away.
    Have you ever been to Ohio??? Mullets and dirt malls for all...

huh???

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    There's rumors of a certain somebody petitioning the city to install a BMX track, some dirt jumps and maybe some other stuff over at Hillside. This city is such an untapped resource, I hope he gets everything going!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast