mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Dirty looks from skinny skiers...

When I'm fat biking up Hatcher Pass I see a lot of cross country skiers, most are very polite but about 1/4 of them give me the hairy eye balls when they see me on "their" trails. I go slow around them, I always say hi, I seldom kick their dogs that are running loose and crapping on the trail, I'm never on the trail when it's too soft, I don't flirt with their hot ladies (much)-- Whats the best way to deal with trail hogs?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Didn't know there were any "Winter" multi-use trails in Hatcher Pass, where are they?

Bikes are good

ummmm,

If you are riding on the loop groomed up around the buildings in the bowl up there, they are looking at you like this because those are groomed for nordic skiers, and I'm pretty sure they aren't multi-use. I could be wrong about that though. That is funny.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Its called "Big Rubber Envy" !!

We want... a shrubbery!
    Trail map of the are shows those as Ski Trail/Ski Run (Non-Motorized): http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/hatcherpass/hatcherpasswintermap2012.pdf. Based upon the map, 'Multi-Use' is defined as motorized & non-motorized.

People can argue anyway based upon that map alone (it says "Ski Trail"... NO, it says Non-Motorized...). Anyone with official word?
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

is buachail foighneach me
    I've always been under the impression that the trails around the mine were groomed for skiing only. Gold Mint, Archangel, the 'road' over the pass and all trails on the other side are fair game.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I know Archangel is multi-use, the other two I think are the same but I'm not certain. (The new loop is probably for skiers only)

Jordi, there are not a lot of good bike trails up there compared to Anchorage but Archangel is pretty dang good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    ski boots too tight

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by andysinak View Post
    ski boots too tight
    I think you're right.

Ologist
    In Hatcher's Pass all nonmotorized snow bikes are allowed on all trails except the motorized corridor from Fishhook lot down to Archangel Rd. (Subjective due to the motorized designation). Immediately after the Mat-Su Ski Club grooms Archangel Rd. the snow is pretty soft until it sets up and is obviously not good for biking (or relations) rutting up the trail. Once the contractor starts grooming with his snow cat this year that should not be a problem.

On the South side, in the Gov't Peak Rec Area, snow bikes are permitted only on the Pioneer Loop. The Mat-Su Ski Club just packed and groomed a "bush whacker"snow shoe route that super wide fat tire bikes can try.
    2007 Ti Fatback
    2010 Ellsworth Epiphany

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Good to know. I love to ride up there. A lot of times I just park at Motherload and bike right up the paved road. The ride from Motherload to the cabins up top gives a great leg workout. I do wish there were more bike trails up there, Archangel is great, just too short.