mtbr member
    May 2011

... and if we just ... DH Biking At Alyeska Starts -- July 6th at 11am

I had my doubts that there was going to be lift serviced biking before August but I got this email from Alyeska Resort:

Starting July 6, Alyeska Resort will open for downhillmountain biking from Friday to Sunday. Bikers can load Chair 3 and Chair 1 from 11 am to 6 pm. NEW! Take a bike lesson or bike tour toimprove your skills and gain confidence. More info>

Mountain Bike Criterium Race - July 21
    Register at the Daylodge Ticket Office beginning at 9 am. Race starts at 11am.

ApresBike at the Sitzmark
    Open 11 am | Friday to Sunday

mtbr member
    Had been hearing rumors of a 6th opener since mid June. Confirmed on the 21st. According to some FB posts only chair 3 on opening weekend. 20 new jumps on chair 3 alone. Also, criterium is not for dual crown bikes.

Plan to be there all weekend!! Time to put the 6" bike away and get the DH rig out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You've got this weird thing for dual crown bikes. Crit is a lap racing format, doing laps on a chair isn't different than doing laps around a course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nojoke View Post
    criterium is not for dual crown bikes.
    Plan to be there all weekend!! Time to put the 6" bike away and get the DH rig out.
    I don't plan to be there all weekend but I'm wondering why dual crown bikes aren't allowed? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Let me rephrase, I'm not sure why you would want to pedal a Dual crown/DH bike up anything. Besides they are badass in nature bud.....

They held a criterium race last year, and it was XC in nature, had nothing to do with Downhill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nojoke View Post
    Let me rephrase, I'm not sure why you would want to pedal a Dual crown/DH bike up anything. Besides they are badass in nature bud.....

They held a criterium race last year, and it was XC in nature, had nothing to do with Downhill.
    ok. thanks!

mtbr member
    I'll be there

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    have to give props to the trail crew at aly. they made huge improvement over last year. the berms where greatly improved and rode great! and the number and quality of jumps were awesome. as always, one could point out areas that could be improved upon but overall it was a great improvement and i'm already looking forward to going back next weekend. awesome job! keep up the good work!

pv

mtbr member
    Thanks for the props AK pv! It was great to see so many returning riders this weekend! The positive response from riders has really motivated the trail crew. Jake and his merry band have been bustin their butts.
    Burntski

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So excited that Alyeska is continuing to grow, good work boys and girls!

Next week will be my first visit and I was wondering where a good place to camp is?

Looking forward to putting my Jedi to the test. See you there!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Gunna be there tomorrow, Rollin solo. Green and white cannondale and green helmet if anyone want to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    another great day. i know i already said it but, can't say enough about the improvements this year! the new jump "line" up top is very well done.

pv

Bikes are good

+ 1

I keep going because I want to support what they do down there, and today was the best day I've had this summer. Chair 1 is pretty pokey slow, but the runs are substantial and take some time to work your way down. Plenty to choose from, and all of them are getting much better to ride. Silvertip area up top is cool, Eagle Rock was great, Gear Jammer, and the jumps at the bottom. All fun on my xcountry trail bike. DH sled not necessary so if you don't have one, take your fs xcountry bike and poke around up there before the season closes in October.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    yes, technically you don't need a dedicated DH bike and if you don't have one that shouldn't keep you from heading down there to try it out.

but, you will have a lot more more fun if you do have a DH or at least a FR bike. some of the stuff at aly is actually pretty techy and you will do much better on the correct bike. plus you can go much faster on a bike with 7-8 inches of travel verses a 4-5 inch bike, which is ALWAYS the goat anyway. and you will quickly trash a xc bike if you ride at aly for any length of time. if you don't have a DH bike and want to try aly, do yourself a favor and pony up for a rental at least one day. you won't regret it. although your bank account might after you decide you now MUST have a new bike...

pv

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've only made it down once this season! Damn! Saturday rain or shine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    i should be down there at least one day, if not both this weekend. have to get warmed up for the yearly labor day whistler trip!!

pv