Bikes are good

Denali Park Road

Just finished this trip this morning, and had to share. If you haven't biked this road yet, try to get it done sometime. We flew in with Kantishna Air Service at 4:30 Saturday evening and started riding by 6:30. We rode a trail out in Kantishna called the skyline trail before heading out on the park road. The skyline trail system is enough to keep you busy for a good solid day, but we had to head out so cut it a little short. Steep climbing on old mine roads that lead to alpine singletrack through the Kantishna hills. Next time, we'll plan for a day to stay there and ride. We rode through the night which never got that dark, and reached the truck at the airstrip in Denali Village by 4 am. Ran into a sow and two cubs, spotted another brown bear on the side of the road as we flew by, Dall Sheep Rams, Moose, and not a single other soul. We timed the weather right with this and had bluebird skies the entire time. The mountain was out in its entirety most of the trip. We fly in to bypass the bus ride in which might make someone have a bad taste for the road after 8 hours, and the flight in was remarkable. Just had to share.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Denali Park Road-img_1109.jpg  

Denali Park Road-img_1110.jpg  

Denali Park Road-img_1127.jpg  

Denali Park Road-img_1133.jpg  

Denali Park Road-img_1145.jpg  

"Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Awesome pics. This is on my "list" for this summer or maybe into the fall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nice. I did it the other way, ride in and then bus out, years ago. Timed it like you, hitting the solstice and riding through the night. Definitely the best way to go. More wildlife out and little or no traffic (dust). The only problem we had was that we were so into looking at the wildlife and scenery that we never remembered to pull out the cameras. I need to hit that trip again to take some pictures....

Bikes are good

Few more

Bussing might be good since I'm scared to death of the flying thing. It was cool being up there on a clear day, and seeing the park from that vantage point. We have been holding off on this one until we had a clear weather window. The guys at the lodge said it was the nicest day they've seen all year so far, and that for a nice day, it was pretty spectacular. Lucked out there. I wouldn't want to get stuck out there in rain and wind. The passes were cold as it was. We took a tent just in case, but pushed through in about 9 hours (with the side detour up Skyline).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Denali Park Road-img_1138.jpg  

Denali Park Road-img_1146.jpg  

Denali Park Road-img_1147.jpg  

Denali Park Road-img_1153.jpg  

Denali Park Road-img_1155.jpg  

Denali Park Road-img_1163.jpg  

Denali Park Road-img_1164.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the pictures.Next week I will be riding the bus into the Elelson visitor center and riding out that day. I am really looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Denali Bike Trip

I was there as well. It was simply amazing...a must do
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Denali Park Road-100_1005.jpg  

Denali Park Road-100_1028.jpg  

Denali Park Road-100_1031.jpg  

Denali Park Road-100_1038.jpg  

Denali Park Road-100_1046.jpg  

Wood chips are stupid
    Nice.
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009
    Sweet! Elfman and crew.

MXJ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just did this ride, only I started early in the morning and all the bus tickets were already sold out, so I started from Savage River and rode in. Tons of traffic, no wildlife, and high winds. I definitely would not recommend doing it my way, but still an amazing trip!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I rode the bus into Eielson Vistor Center July 4 and rode my bike out that day. It is a great ride,saw alot of wild life and none of the passes are bad climbs. The traffic was not bad, but there is a bus about every 20 min or so. The day I rode out the dust was not bad the bus drivers slow way down as to not dust you, they were great. Some of the passes were a little windy that was the only down side. In hindsight I would probably look at doing it at night you can ride the last camper bus in and ride out with no traffic.

Bikes are good

Bus?

How long was the bus ride in? Do you have pictures?

Bikes are good

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

That didn't work though, so then we hiked up the hill to the right as far as we could. They cared so little about us, I would bet they would have let us pass. It would be a bad bet to lose is all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hopefully doing a bit of this on Sunday