rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Denali Classic Gravel Grinder Update !!!

The Denali Gravel Grinder is revised due to snow at the Brushkana Campground and 8 foot snow drifts on the Maclaren Pass sector.
    When life gives you lemons, screw the lemonade, make a kick your butt drink! The Denali Classic Gravel Grinder has a new staging area start and finish line and different turnarounds!
    The main staging and camping area is at the Cantwell Lodge. Instead of taking a right (coming from Anchorage) on to the Denali Highway, take a left, and drive down the road a mile or so and the lodge is across the road from Cantwell railroad depot. The camping is free for tent campers and RVís, however, if you happen to have a RV and need electricity there is a fee for the juice. I was told that there will be plenty of room for the car and tent campers.
    Janet, an agent for the Cantwell lodge, informed me that there may be a discount for room lodging for the racers. The rooms are basic no frill rooms with no shower. I was told the cost per room is $45. There are burn pits. I will bring up 6 bundles of firewood.
    The revised start location will be at the #26 index number on the BLM map.
    The revised option #1 distance is 56 miles round trip, with the turnaround at the Brushkana Camprround entrance road
    Option #2 is around trip distance of approximately 74 awesome miles that will test your endurance as well as your sanity. The turnaround will be marked with a pink cone and some flagging.
    Option #3 is 130 miles of embracing and smiling at the invisible grimacing face of discomfort while viewing and basking in the luxury of the glorious Alaska Range!
    The turn around is at the Alpine Creek Lodge !

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Brushkana is a great campground, but starting and finishing in Cantwell is going to make things much more convenient. I think this change could be a good thing! I'm looking forward to this weekend. Thanks Carlos.
    c

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thank you for your continued support for the most current and only longest gravel race in Alaska!

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The revised camping and staging area which is now the Cantwell Lodge, in addition to the free camping. will offer showers for $3.00 /person.
    The restaurant will be open for breakfast at 7 AM Saturday morning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

cost and signup

Rio

I and 1, maybe 2 friends are heading up friday night.

What's the signup process? Morning of Race Ok?

How much do we owe ya?

Mike

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    Kind of sounds like the earliest event (the 130mi) should start at 8am...

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hello !
    The Alaska Endurance Association annual membership is $90. This membership includes the the Denali Gravel Grinder and if you complete the 130 mile option of the Gravel Grinder, the Soggy Bottom 100 is free.
    Sign up will occur on Friday from 7:30 PM to 10 PM and on Saturday from 6 AM until 7AM.
    There will be a riders meeting at 7:15 Saturday morning.
    The start is about 2 miles from the camping area, so a racer can rider their weapon of choice to the start line, which is also the finish line.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That is correct, the longest race the 130 miler, it will start at 8 AM. the 74 miler will launch at 8:30 AM at the 56 miler will commence at 9:00 AM .
    I hope all of the Grinder Racers don't get ground !

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi Rio. To clarify, if racing the 74-mile event, the cost is $90, even if the rider does not plan to ride in the Soggy?
    Thanks-

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The explanation is on the Alaska Endurance Association Facebook page, in short the membership includes certain endurance races as well as the infamous Hollow Weaner event and Frigid Bits winter rides. Its your choice as to what you want to ride or participate in.

Thank you for your interest and hope to see out there, the 74 miler is a interesting race, should you decide to do it, or actually be fortunate to survive the disgorging, will invoke many fond memories as well as oh crap thoughts I didn't know I could actually survive all those heinous climbs and lip curling descents ! Just sayin.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Worth

Every

Penny!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Per Carlos:
    Don't take the left to the Cantwell Lodge. Go right on the Denali Hwy and about 4 miles up on the left is a large open area. Look for Carlos' van. The accommodations in Cantwell were less than desirable.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Update from the start: 5 racers started the 130 miler, 11 for the 56er. Bright sunny cloudless day with fast gravel at the beginning!