rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Denali Classic Gravel Grinder

The longest current Alaskan gravel grinder will take place on May 26th of the 2012 Memorial Day Week end! The Alaska Endurance Association will start the season with this ride with world class scenery that will feature 3 distance options and the choice to ride the 2 longer options as a soloist or as a relay! The distance options are longer this year, they are; 182, 124 or 42 miles. The two longer routes will have at least 9,000 feet of elevation gain! The 42 miles is reserved for the solo rider. The maximum team members will be set at 3, with one car per team. The solo riders have the option of a follow car for support. Each relay team will determine their own relay stations.
    The riders who entered the 2011 Soggy will have the $30 AEA day pass waived. All others will have to purchase a $30 Alaska Endurance Association Day Pass. There will be the usual post ride campfire BBQ!! All ride options will start at 7 AM. All ride options will start and end at the Brushkana Campground.
    Last edited by rio; 04-26-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: elev gain

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Definitely one of my favorite rides of the year.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Nothing like hours of gravel grinding!

Bikes are good

Key swap?

I'll try to make this weekend, but if I can't, is a key swap with riders starting in Paxson and Cantwell a reasonable option for a ride there?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    This is the Alaska Randonneurs Denali Highway ride:
    Denali Highway 200K Alaska Randonneurs

So there will apparently be two bike races on this day, both starting from Brushkana Campground, both starting at 7 a.m. To some extent, the riders will be able to distinguish one another based on the bikes. The guy on the Yeti probably isn't a randonneur; nor is the guy on the Rivendell Atlantis likely to be a regular gravel grinder. But if the organizers of each race haven't already talked to one another about how to handle simultaneous races, they should probably do so.

I suppose in a state with a very short riding season, and few enough roads that you can count them on your fingers, this is bound to happen now and again.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I orchestrate both rides, and I have spoken to myself several times over the past 2 years, and I have a good idea how this will work.

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    Gravel Grinder photos!!
    Denali Classic - a set on Flickr

Start drooling, people! That was such an awesome ride, Carlos! You do it right!

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    I orchestrate both rides, and I have spoken to myself several times over the past 2 years, and I have a good idea how this will work.
    Excellent. That makes more sense. I thought it was just a random coincidence. I'm looking forward to the ride.

Bikes are good

Between the two of you,

You can guarantee a sunny day too right? Maybe?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, there will be bacon brownies for this ride !!!

Wood chips are stupid
    which one of you bought the fork?
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    About 3 weeks away!!! Gonna try to tour this gravel on the Fatback! Who's with me?

Remember that the Chevron with the better snack selection burnt down last year so your only stop for gas is the Tesoro which has had terrible food in the past. Don't forget about the Talkeetna Exit Tesoro which has a much better selection and cheaper fuel.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Don't forget about this useful link: BLM: Alaska Denali Highway Points of Interest Lots of good details about the Denali Hwy.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    6 more days folks, get those gravel bikes ready!!!

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Update for the Denali Gravel Grinder
    Riders meeting 7:30 AM
    Long riders will start at 8AM, short distance riders, whenever you want to !
    The Saturday evening post ride BBQ and potluck will start when most of the long riders are back. The long distance riders will be back approx 8-9 hours after they start .
    Please bring food and beverages to share with your riding buds!
    Also the Brushkana campground is at tree line and no firewood is available, so please bring a bundle for the Saturday evening campfire!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Is there a sign up for this ride or will it just be a surprise?

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There is a sign up time defined in the post above and a day AEA membership of $30 for those who didn't sign up for the AEA 2012 Soggy Bottom. No day membership required for those who rode last years Soggy Bottom.
    There is a separate rider cost for the brevet ride option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, Carlos! Once again, the Denali Classic tested the mettle of all who threw a leg over the machines. It started out great. It was a blast after it was over. And, it had it's fair share of brutality in the middle. What a ride!!!

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The riders had their own ambitions and those ambitions were altered when reality served up a dose of whoopin and hoolerin in the the form of cool temps and torrents of mind bending rain.
    I will write more about the ride later. Everyone finished, everyone showed a great deal of courage and grit.
    The Denali Gravel Grinder was very tough this year, however, the riders were able to exceed what the grinder threw at them!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    The Fatback and I went up to Denali to stay the weekend, along the way, we did the 2012 Denali Classic, a gravel grinder by name, starting at the Brushkana Campgroup, mile 105 of the Denali Highway between Cantwell and Paxton.

I didn't have any goals set in stone, just a plan to ride and then turn around with enough gas to get back to the campground.

The Fatback had zero problems, if anything, just fat and heavy on those long slow grinds up gravel.

Big thanks to Rio for putting this event on!!! Can't wait to do it again next year.

Near the start, had great views and weather in the morning.

25 Mile Turn Around Point - The Susitna River

Brushkana River - The starting point

Front Setup: 64 and 40oz Klean Kanteans, Salas Anything Cages, Revelate Feed Bags, Bear Spray.