Thread: Crust Riding?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Crust Riding?

Any one know if any crust riding has developed yet? Glen Alps or Portage? Lots of calls to the shop wondering if anyone has been out and if it was worth the effort.

Beware of Doggerel
    Heading out tomorrow morning. Will report back on trails. Going to Skookum or Placer river or whatever looks good down that way. I was up skiing in the power line valley and middle fork today. No crust in sight, but the trail surface is bomber.
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Beware of Doggerel
    Good ride. Marginal conditions on my endo/marge combo, but ridable the whole way out and back with minimal non-ridable bits. No crust.
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member
    Adam did you hit up Skookum or Placer River. I've been dieing to go out to go out Placer River, but don't want to drive from Eagle River all the way out there to get skunked.
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

Beware of Doggerel
    Skookum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

No crustiness...

Made a solo run up the Skookum this morning. I was looking for crust, but there was none to be had. Rode snow machine trails up as far as I could, but it got softer as I went higher. After pushing my bike up a knoll, I took a couple of pics and headed for home. You can feel the crust layer down there, but it's buried under four of five inches of snow. It might not have been crust riding, but it's back country riding at it's finest.

Crust Riding?-skookumii.jpgCrust Riding?-skookum.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics, very nice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Where is that at ? I never heard about that place. It looks awesome.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There is still a lot of snow up at higher elevations around Anchorage area. After recent warm temps and yesterdays rainshowers, the crust conditions should be good and solid if we get another clear, cold nite of temperatures around 20 degrees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great pictures bflemin!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Head south on the Seward highway past Girdwood, and just as the highway starts to bend around the end of the arm is the turnoff to Portage lake. Park on the other side of the road near a dilapidated coffee shack. Follow the snow machine trail next to the railroad tracks up the Placer River valley until you see the first obvious valley on your left. It's probably only around a mile or so to the entrance. The recognizable ridgeline in the distance at the end of the valley is Mt. Carpathian. It's incredibly beautiful back there, and it's a pretty short drive from Anchorage. If you get some time, check it out...

mtbr member
    It's worth noting that skookum is in avalanche country. Also you are traveling on a glacier, so watch out for crevasses. Be safe out there.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Just got back from some super solid crust conditions at Turnagain Pass on the non motorized side this morning. Open valley, gullies, hills, trees, halfpipes, etc... Well worth the climbing!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Area od CSP that is closed to biking, but I got in a great crust-ski trip this AM in southfork eagle river valley, made it to eagle and symphony lakes. Early morning at 10degrees, the crust conditions were nice and solid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Crust was great this morning all over Far North Bicenteniall Park. I did see black bear tracks though, they must like it too.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hillside STA had a great crust this morning. We rode most the way up off trail. We took the trails up to Homestead looking for more crust and there was little to be found up high. The trail itself is rather fun though! There were quite a few moose tracks. I did not see bear tracks. Get there early!