mtbr member

Couple quick recommendations, please...

Landing in Anchorage on Thursday morning, and heading straight to the bike shop to pick up my rental Stache. Any trails I can ride to right out of town? Just looking for a couple hours of fun...won't be able to get the rental car until the next day...

Second...I'm going to be coming back from Denali on July 5...looking on mtbproject, there are some trails around Wasilla...are they worth a stop? Again...probably only have a couple hours to kill...

Thanks!
    mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    You could ride to Kincaid park and ride there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by samwe View Post
    You could ride to Kincaid park and ride there.
    This. And also ride at Kepler Bradley Park (Mile 37.4 of the Glenn Highway, about 1.5 miles east of the Parks & Glenn Hwy interchange) when you are coming back from Denali. Some decent single track and also good views of the local mountain and lakes.

Here is a link to some maps of Kepler Bradley Park:
    Trail Maps - Matanuska Greenbelt

Enjoy your stay!

mtbr member
    Couple of options in town

Our Trails — Singletrack Advocates

Make sure to grab some bear spray at REI or somewhere before heading out

Revelate feedbags make a great holder for the spray for quick access

Let me know if you need a ride to the trailhead from the Trek store, my schedule is pretty flexible during the day

Elitest thrill junkie
    Keppler Bradley has some decent trails, not a huge area, but possible to keep one's self occupied for a couple hours if you do all the trails both ways. If you don't mind driving to a couple places, hit Government Peak Recreational Area (GPRA) on the same day, ride both trail systems. Both of these are a little more like what you find in the midwest in terms of trails crammed into a relatively small area (not quite as many annoying turns though), but generally with some fun features, especially in the case of GPRA. GPRA is a bit like Kincaid Park in Anchorage, although it's roughly half the mileage.

There's a DH track up Hatcher Pass called "16 mile". It's not 16 miles, it just happens to be at the 16 mile mark on the road. This is best done with some kind of gravity-orientated bike, there are some big features to ride and launch on it.

Tomorrow a bunch of us are going to try and ride Lost Lake, which is an amazingly epic trail down near Seward. It may be raining though, so we have to prepare for that possibility. It's amazing when it's dry.

In Anchorage, ride Kincaid Park or Hillside/Hilltop STA. The Hilltop trails have more options, as they link up with both Bicentennial Park and Chucach State Park. Unfortunately the Chugach doesn't do a lot for mountain biking in the immediate area, you can get some elevation going and out of those 3 areas that link together you can make a pretty good ride. Kincaid is a favorite because it's easily accessible and has a good amount of terrain features designed into it (Hilltop is pretty accessible and doesn't have quite as many features). The features are easily roll-able though for pretty much all skill levels.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.