mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Could the trails and the weather be any better?!!

This year has by far been the best winter riding I have seen. The trails can't get much better. Heck, some are faster to ride now than they are in the dry summer conditions.

I haven't seen anybody really mention about winter riding in Powerline Pass. I had a couple of good rides up there last spring. Does anybody ride up there very often and if so how are the trails now?

Anybody want to ride this afternoon? Say around 4 - 4:15 at the Abott Lp Ball fields trail head. Maybe a nice 5 mile loop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

kinda soft

All of the CSP trails were rock hard for a few weeks but after the last 2 snowfalls they are better for skiing that riding - but they are getting harder day by day so maybe they will be good by the weekend. That said, I have not seen the PP trail itself recently so perhaps it is better - but the lower trails are good from the upper o'malley trailhead and get worse the higher you go. Skied up the Powerline to where it meets the gasline today and it was, at best, ok for riding. The skiing off track, however, is phenomenal on the old Flattop Flyer course and side meadows - 8-12" of sparkly light snow. It still has not broken the freezing mark up high (since January?) so no freeze/thaw going on yet. Also, no snomos have been allowed in CSP for months and the CSP staff has done very little packing this year so it is just self-powered users packing things down.

Beware of Doggerel
    I hear ya, its great out there. I rode into work today on my cross bike!!! Chester creek and the coastal trial were fine on a cross bike, now that is rock hard.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I've been riding a course daily after work that includes what I call the Goat Trail (the trail that parallels Abbott from the Service High overpass east to the Abbott Skiing parking) then over to the 4 Mi Loop (around the bog from N. Bivouac) and Rover's Run. I've never seen them in such great shape. I ran into Tim yesterday (of Tim & Evy fame) and he said Brown Bear is great too. If you stay at the elevation of Hilltop Ski Area or lower the conditions are prime.

Don't be fooled into thinking just because there's melting on the streets that the trails must be getting soft. Take advantage of the warmer temps, longer daylight hours, and firm trail conditions. This combination of traits won't last much longer.

Please stay off the groomed ski-only trails, and ride any multi-use trail you want, there's plenty.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks for the info and responses. Looks like it'll be a couple of weeks before the Pass is rideable. Sounds like right now it would be a little too soft for my snowcats.
    I hear ya, its great out there. I rode into work today on my cross bike!!! Chester creek and the coastal trial were fine on a cross bike, now that is rock hard.

Adam
    Man, Adam it must be like a highway if you can ride with those skinny tires. That's awesome!
    I've been riding a course daily after work that includes what I call the Goat Trail (the trail that parallels Abbott from the Service High overpass east to the Abbott Skiing parking) then over to the 4 Mi Loop (around the bog from N. Bivouac) and Rover's Run. I've never seen them in such great shape. I ran into Tim yesterday (of Tim & Evy fame) and he said Brown Bear is great too. If you stay at the elevation of Hilltop Ski Area or lower the conditions are prime.

Don't be fooled into thinking just because there's melting on the streets that the trails must be getting soft. Take advantage of the warmer temps, longer daylight hours, and firm trail conditions. This combination of traits won't last much longer.
    Thanks for the idea on Brown Bear. For some reason, I thought you could not get to it because of the ski only trails. But, after looking at the map and realizing BB starts off the gasline trail it's ok. There are a lot of little foot trails off of the main trails that are rideable and fun right now too. Some are easier now to ride than in the summer.

It sure is nice in the afternoons to use my summer Camel Back now w/o worries of freezing too.

Enjoy it while it last

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    yes, the trails have been AWESOME... i've been busy this pass month, and haven't been able to go ridin' the last day we're open at my sec. job is apirl 8th... i just hope mother nature starts bringing in warmer temps. i LOVE the snow but i'm so readlly for SPRING!!!
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Trails up high getting good

The trails between Prospect & Glen Alps have firmed up nicely in the last couple of days - don't know about Powerline towards the pass, but suspect it is good for a while anyway. And man, all the Campbell Tract/BC Park trails were fantastic this afternoon. Rock hard, lots of traction. That said, the steep descent to the river from S. Bivouac gets very slushy about the time you hit max speed . . . whoopee!! Traction was just sufficient going up the steep up trail on the s. side of the creek to the gasline ski corridor - doable, but only by the slimmest of margins. Get it while the gettin is good!!!

@adelorenzo
    Greetings Alaskans,

Things over here on the Canadian side of the border are also skookum right now. I had my first really sweet ride of the year, 17 km in the Ibex Valley (near Whitehorse, Yukon). Sleds (gas and dog powered) have trails totally packed, and -3 C daytime highs combined with -20 C nighttime lows are keeping them that way. We did it faster than we've ever done it in the summer, as there is a lot of sand to deal with.

My buddy Andrew, riding 2.1 in Maxxis tires.

Me on Panaracer Rampage 29ers (2.3 in)

Gotta get out again today!

Regards,
    Anthony